State of the Progam

Ringing the Bell on a new era of UM Football.
78
Hall of Fame
Posts: 8061
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2003 11:52 pm
Location: Near Boston

Re: State of the Progam

Post by 78 » Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:25 am

I think most of us know this, but we will be awful again next year and still not good the year after. Can’t wait... https://www.masslive.com/umassfootball/ ... utour.html
Bamford has erased McCutcheon

Jack
Senior
Posts: 1203
Joined: Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:14 pm

Re: State of the Progam

Post by Jack » Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:19 am

We will likely be awful for as long as Mr. Bamford allows Coach Bell to run the HUNH offense w/o the necessary personel. If Coach Bell abandoned that ridiculous offensive strategy and actually tried to play complimentary football then the team wold not necessarily be awful at all.

dennisdent
Junior
Posts: 734
Joined: Sun May 04, 2003 7:18 pm
Location: Too close to the Beltway

Re: State of the Progam

Post by dennisdent » Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:23 am

78 wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:25 am
I think most of us know this, but we will be awful again next year and still not good the year after. Can’t wait... https://www.masslive.com/umassfootball/ ... utour.html
That article and Bamford's comments pxss me the hell off! Just last season Bamford stated during a halftime interview that Whip was the right person to lead UMass football--we all now how that ended. Now this season he's saying that Whip ran a bad program that he and not Bell have to clean-up! I am quickly losing all respect for Bamford and not believing what is coming out of his mouth. That the chancellor wouldn't be interviewed is a huge red flag and if I was Bamford I would keep my head on a swivel! Bamford's comments are going to pxss off many donors and football alums who respected Whip as both a person and a coach. Comparing hockey and basketball to football is asinine--totally different sports and situations as we all know.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/coll ... story.html

Not one question in the article on why Bell ran his hurry offense and played a totally incompetent QB! MattyV, I'm disappointed in you for not asking Bamford on how bad UMass was as a football team--three and out almost every offensive series. Wait 4 -5 years to build the program--WTF! No more donations from me for 4 - 5 years! Next time Bamford's minions come to me for donations--not going to answer or delete the email!

I could go on about that article but I am going to contact the chancellor and let him know my issues with the football program. Not sure how that will go but it will make me feel better.

User avatar
Quann
Senior
Posts: 1308
Joined: Sun Apr 06, 2003 11:17 pm
Location: Start Line, MA

Re: State of the Progam

Post by Quann » Sun Dec 01, 2019 11:22 am

Jack wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:19 am
We will likely be awful for as long as Mr. Bamford allows Coach Bell to run the HUNH offense w/o the necessary personel. If Coach Bell abandoned that ridiculous offensive strategy and actually tried to play complimentary football then the team wold not necessarily be awful at all.
I agree with all of your analysis Jack but Whipple is never coming back so no need to beat a dead horse. As you have said Bell made an already bad and undertalented defense ten times worse with the inane offensive scheme he ran. I think that is why the majority of us on here have no hope for next season. We are in dire straights.

massprof
newbie
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2014 4:06 pm

Re: State of the Progam

Post by massprof » Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:56 pm

I don't object to the idea that the "culture" of the program needed change. BUT, one key aspect of team culture is having respect for and buying into the leadership of the coaching staff. This is one of the things that troubles me a lot going forward. Will the team buy into the program if (1) the HC keeps playing QBs who clearly cannot lead a successful offense? Yes, I know that we just saw a little bit of Curtis (with mixed results) and none of the other QBs, but didn't some of the guys riding the bench, particularly Palotta, deserve a shot? He couldn't possibly have done worse than Brito! (2) if Bell continues the hurry-up offense? As many of you have stated, the hurry-up offense took a terrible toll on the defense, since most offensive drives were 3-and-out. If we realize that, don't you think the players do as well??? (3) If there continues to be a complete lack of in-game adjustments? Doing the same crap over the over again with the same disastrous results can't have escaped the attention of the team.
In my opinion, what held the team together and prevented a complete implosion/revolt were the upperclassmen, particularly Rodgers and the other seniors. They deserve a lot of credit for holding things together. Isn't it interesting that THOSE guys had absorbed the culture instilled by Whip (don't worry, I'm not excusing Whip's problems or suggesting that he shouldn't have been let go), not Bell. I fear that another year of 1-11 or heaven forbid, 0-12 will cause Bell to completely lose the team, unless Bell corrects some of his deficiencies and we're competitive in at least some of our losses. Otherwise, we're royally f'cked.

User avatar
SJGMoney
Junior
Posts: 395
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2012 2:01 pm
Location: Danvers, MA

Re: State of the Progam

Post by SJGMoney » Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:05 pm

That was not an article in the paper, that was a press release by the Athletic Department that the paper reprinted.
UMass '87

ZooMass84
Sophomore
Posts: 115
Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:46 pm

Re: State of the Progam

Post by ZooMass84 » Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:06 pm

Quann wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 11:22 am
Jack wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:19 am
We will likely be awful for as long as Mr. Bamford allows Coach Bell to run the HUNH offense w/o the necessary personel. If Coach Bell abandoned that ridiculous offensive strategy and actually tried to play complimentary football then the team wold not necessarily be awful at all.
I agree with all of your analysis Jack but Whipple is never coming back so no need to beat a dead horse. As you have said Bell made an already bad and undertalented defense ten times worse with the inane offensive scheme he ran. I think that is why the majority of us on here have no hope for next season. We are in dire straights.
Part of me agrees with you and fears that 2 or 3 more 1-11 seasons will be the end, but we're a state university and its basically monopoly money anyway. Nobody wants to kill the golden goose of FBS football.

Floyd
Hall of Fame
Posts: 6629
Joined: Sun Apr 06, 2003 8:50 am
Location: Not where I should be

Re: State of the Progam

Post by Floyd » Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:13 pm

No football at The University of Massachusetts would be a sin. Absolutely have to figure it out. Can't even imagine there not being a program.
The E sho, best show in town

photoman
Senior
Posts: 939
Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2003 8:25 pm
Location: Attleboro

Re: State of the Progam

Post by photoman » Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:31 pm

Floyd wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:13 pm
No football at The University of Massachusetts would be a sin. Absolutely have to figure it out. Can't even imagine there not being a program.
Life with no football at UMass would be hard for us to deal with, but I guarantee you that no one at Boston University or Northeastern ever thinks about their football past. It's just gone and they've moved on.

User avatar
Old Cage
Hall of Fame
Posts: 5746
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2003 8:49 pm
Location: The Eastern Provinces

Re: State of the Progam

Post by Old Cage » Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:05 pm

Now we have a guy on twitter claiming that an "unfortunate" list of transfers out of our program will come to light.
"Jack didn’t have any envy in him," Calipari said. "He was the greatest coach to ever coach here."

minutefanjsf
Senior
Posts: 1691
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:17 am

Re: State of the Progam

Post by minutefanjsf » Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:32 pm

Old Cage wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:05 pm
Now we have a guy on twitter claiming that an "unfortunate" list of transfers out of our program will come to light.
Link? I didn’t see that one. But it’s not surprising since the AD just said in a news article that Bell is working on getting his own players into the program.

minutefanjsf
Senior
Posts: 1691
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:17 am

Re: State of the Progam

Post by minutefanjsf » Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:38 pm

I did see Chinedu Ogbonna state he said he was losing all his troops.

User avatar
jjmc85
Senior
Posts: 1083
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2008 10:07 am
Location: Boston, MA

Re: State of the Progam

Post by jjmc85 » Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:56 pm

I’ll renew my season tickets to continue to support the program but I might not go to many games next season. I’ll sit at home and watch on NESN instead.

To put this into perspective, when my sister got engaged 5 years ago, the first words out of my mother’s mouth were “You aren’t allowed to pick a wedding date during a UMass football home game.”

The state of the program is bad.
UMass Football: 22-3 at home when I was a student.

umass2msu
Junior
Posts: 462
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2008 7:13 pm
Location: Chicago, IL
Contact:

Re: State of the Progam

Post by umass2msu » Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:50 am

I think Bell should get a new QB couch and absolutely get a new QB. Britto isn't the answer at all.

Everyone already stated the in game adjustments so it's a moot point.

We'll see what he's able to bring in recruiting wise and what bowl affiliations UMass can get. Especially since there's three new bowls (I believe) being added. Even though real bo eligibility is about 3 yrs away it will help with recruiting knowing if we get there we can play for a trophy.
Yes I am a Minuteman!! Best 60 seconds of your life!!

eldonabe
Hall of Fame
Posts: 4333
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2003 4:34 pm
Location: Western MA

Re: State of the Progam

Post by eldonabe » Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:06 am

umass2msu wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:50 am
I think Bell should get a new QB couch and absolutely get a new QB. Britto isn't the answer at all.

Everyone already stated the in game adjustments so it's a moot point.

We'll see what he's able to bring in recruiting wise and what bowl affiliations UMass can get. Especially since there's three new bowls (I believe) being added. Even though real bo eligibility is about 3 yrs away it will help with recruiting knowing if we get there we can play for a trophy.
Agreed, Flutie-Light....
In Matt McCall I trust!

Post Reply