State of the Progam

Ringing the Bell on a new era of UM Football.
MJatUM
Hall of Fame

Re: State of the Progam

Post by MJatUM » Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:37 pm

^ I knew I was missing one!! Didn't feel like going back and looking. Good call IV.

Berkman
Hall of Fame

Post by Berkman » Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:06 pm

In case you did not notice we have been using AAC refs. Could that be a way of us getting a little more exposure to that conference?

McKinney
Senior

Post by McKinney » Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:24 pm

econalum wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:06 pm
If I were in student government today, and I was in undergrad, I'd start bitching to state reps and senators.
The entire $48M athletics expenditure is equivalent to 3.5% of UMass' budget. 1% of the system's budget. 0.1% of the state budget. And obviously the contribution from each of those entities is considerably smaller than those figures.

Maybe it's a drain, maybe it's a luxury that should be the first to tighten up in hard times, but cutting athletics (let alone football) is hardly a panacea.

Not to mention I think about 3/4 of the atheltics budget goes to non-revenue sports, adminstration/support, etc.

But sure, start bitchin.
Ryan McKinney - Class of 2019 - @mckinney2019

m626t
Senior

Post by m626t » Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:38 pm

Berkman wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:06 pm
In case you did not notice we have been using AAC refs. Could that be a way of us getting a little more exposure to that conference?
interesting thought but I doubt the refs will help us get into any conference.
All due respect, and I mean that from the bottom of my heart, I'm gonna pass.

TruBluMaroon
Senior

Post by TruBluMaroon » Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:14 pm

Berkman wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:06 pm
Wondering where we got the officials came up at Saturday’s game. Has that been for every home game this year? And how far back?
Thanks

Jack
Senior

Post by Jack » Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:03 pm

eldonabe wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:51 am
Easy Jack - we basically won the "Toilet Bowl" last week, and after a hopeful beating of UConn we will have established ourselves as #128 and that is just about it.
Sweet Geezus Eldy.... is it okay w/you if we enjoy one freaking upset win over Akron w/o you and debbie downer trying to pee in the cornflakes ???

Bitching about Gillette or John McCutcheon is ancient history at this point and has zero to do w/this discussion. I was opposed to the Gillette plan from the outset (tho i live closer to foxboro than Amherst) - but its irrelevant now.
eldonabe wrote:
I do think Umass football will find its footing at some point. I am patient enough to wait for it, I just don't have a set date to expect it to happen by and I don't think there is a magic bullet (like high USNWR for example).
Right, b/c you're essentially a rational, supportive and fair minded UMass fan -

.....which is In stark contrast to Econalum who comes off as being a cranky, hateful old dunderheaded fool who who uses this forum to incessantly bash UMass football and who is moronically advocating "bitching to state reps and senators", ignorantly analogizing our football team to the "S&M Model" and then references to OUR UMass student athletes on OUR UMass football team to being "a punch drunk hooker lurching from payday to payday and getting terribly beaten"

I'd pay to see EconAlum waddle his way out to the Football Family members parking and tell those parents and family members about his "S&M Model" theory and that he thinks of their kids as "punch drunk hookers.." what an incredibly stupid and irresponsible thing to say. The UMass economics department alleged decision to allow such an insensitive nincompoop unfettered access to our UMass students in a University sanctioned setting should be immediately revisited and reversed.

eldonabe
Hall of Fame

Post by eldonabe » Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:28 am

Jack wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:03 pm
eldonabe wrote:
Easy Jack - we basically won the "Toilet Bowl" last week, and after a hopeful beating of UConn we will have established ourselves as #128 and that is just about it.
Sweet Geezus Eldy.... is it okay w/you if we enjoy one freaking upset win over Akron w/o you and debbie downer trying to pee in the cornflakes ???

Bitching about Gillette or John McCutcheon is ancient history at this point and has zero to do w/this discussion. I was opposed to the Gillette plan from the outset (tho i live closer to foxboro than Amherst) - but its irrelevant now.
eldonabe wrote:
I do think Umass football will find its footing at some point. I am patient enough to wait for it, I just don't have a set date to expect it to happen by and I don't think there is a magic bullet (like high USNWR for example).
Right, b/c you're essentially a rational, supportive and fair minded UMass fan -

.....which is In stark contrast to Econalum who comes off as being a cranky, hateful old dunderheaded fool who who uses this forum to incessantly bash UMass football and who is moronically advocating "bitching to state reps and senators", ignorantly analogizing our football team to the "S&M Model" and then references to OUR UMass student athletes on OUR UMass football team to being "a punch drunk hooker lurching from payday to payday and getting terribly beaten"

I'd pay to see EconAlum waddle his way out to the Football Family members parking and tell those parents and family members about his "S&M Model" theory and that he thinks of their kids as "punch drunk hookers.." what an incredibly stupid and irresponsible thing to say. The UMass economics department alleged decision to allow such an insensitive nincompoop unfettered access to our UMass students in a University sanctioned setting should be immediately revisited and reversed.
HA!!!!

I didn't mean to come off as a debbie downer about that Akron win.... I am just trying to keep it in perspective - the pure fact that it had to be called an "upset" is kind of laughable even though it is somewhat accurate. I am very happy they got the win (ANY win).

You can't learn how to win without winning.... Captain Obvious taught me that years ago....

The fact is that football is pretty much budget neutral in pure cash in/cash out math.... we are getting what we paid for in essence. If it takes a couple "body bag" games per year to achieve that, I am good with it. This is just going to be a slog to get where we want to be (respectable). I am fucking ecstatic that we didn't follow the UConn model and doubly fucking ecstatic that we are just as good/bad as they are presently without blowing through 100's of millions of dollars.....
In Matt McCall I trust!

ZooMass84
Sophomore

Post by ZooMass84 » Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:17 am

McKinney wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:24 pm
econalum wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:06 pm
If I were in student government today, and I was in undergrad, I'd start bitching to state reps and senators.
The entire $48M athletics expenditure is equivalent to 3.5% of UMass' budget. 1% of the system's budget. 0.1% of the state budget. And obviously the contribution from each of those entities is considerably smaller than those figures.

Maybe it's a drain, maybe it's a luxury that should be the first to tighten up in hard times, but cutting athletics (let alone football) is hardly a panacea.

Not to mention I think about 3/4 of the atheltics budget goes to non-revenue sports, adminstration/support, etc.

But sure, start bitchin.
What does Econalum care? Is he paying the bills? Please, it's all monopoly money anyway. This is a rich state and the money it blows with crazy salaries to state employees etc is a joke.

econalum
Senior

Post by econalum » Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:28 pm

UMass is becoming increasingly unaffordable for many students, especially as fees escalate. I care because unlike most of you, I have direct contact and conversations with dozens of UMass undergrads each semester outside of sports attendance, and through reviewing their resumes can see how hard they are working to stay in school, plus hearing how they need to scrimp by.

https://www.umass.edu/bursar/sites/defa ... 02019.pdf

Another point is that UMass has instituted programs for making sure students who cannot afford food will have alternatives - food insecurity is a big deal, particularly at state universities, UMass no exception.

https://umassdining.com/food-insecurity-i-need-food

https://www.umass.edu/studentlife/single-stop/food
Last edited by econalum on Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Feeling entitled is JUST a feeling...

MJatUM
Hall of Fame

Post by MJatUM » Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:35 pm

econalum wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:28 pm
UMass is becoming increasingly unaffordable for many students, especially as fees escalate. I care because unlike most of you, I have direct contact and conversations with dozens of UMass undergrads each semester outside of sports attendance, and through reviewing their resumes can see how hard they are working to stay in school, plus hearing how they need to scrimp by.

Wait a sec.... They should be bitching about the $124 student activities fee? Or is part of the tuition being dished out to athletics? For everything that the $124 student activities fee covers UMass is losing money on it.

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:44 pm

econalum wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:28 pm

This is not Football's fault. This is the fault of the state legislature (and all but one Governor) treating the school like crap for decades. If the school (and system) was properly funded, in a state so renowned for it's higher education, this wouldn't be happening.

I deal with a ton of recent UMass grads looking for jobs, quite often on a daily basis. We often talk about how much it costs now vs when I went there. While they often lament about how bad the team has been, never once has someone complained that the schools ever increasing cost is due to football.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

Berkman
Hall of Fame

Post by Berkman » Thu Oct 03, 2019 5:29 pm

^
Compared to private schools UMass is quite affordable. When my kids were born I started saving for their college. My daughter went to Ithaca College in 1998 which was $ 29,000 at that time and my son went to UMass in 2002 and we got a tuition break because my wife worked for MCLA in North Adams. We got no financial aid the first two years my daughter went to Ithaca and when my son went to UMass we got a whole $ 2,500 the last two years. The last I checked Ithaca was up to around $ 50,000.

So if you can't afford UMass then I suggest that you go to the nearest community college and live at home for the first 2 years then transfer to UMass for your final 2 years.

jjmc85
Senior

Post by jjmc85 » Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:15 am

Public Universities and Community Colleges should be free for in-state students. Shame with the surplus Baker likes to brag about every year the Commonwealth isn’t doing more for MA higher ed students.
UMass Football: 22-3 at home when I was a student.

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:16 am

^

That's one way to quickly devalue a bachelor degree.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

e_parade
Sophomore

Post by e_parade » Fri Oct 04, 2019 12:09 pm

InnervisionsUMASS wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:16 am
^

That's one way to quickly devalue a bachelor degree.
In a lot of ways it's already devalued. For many people who have these degrees, the best they can do (to get into their desired field) is low paid or unpaid internships, and these internships often require a degree.