State of the Progam

Ringing the Bell on a new era of UM Football.
SignMan
Hall of Fame

Re: State of the Progam

Post by SignMan » Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:46 pm

InnervisionsUMASS wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:21 am
Enjoy not following UMass Football, folks. It's your prerogative.

Well stated...
These days, I am constantly telling people, from newly met to old friends my teenage years, to work on having fun with their spare time...
Do things that you find enjoyable!

Personally, we have been doing our best at it, especially our dining out, live music, and vacays...
Family first!

In case no one has noticed, fret the thought...
I have not been @ McGuirk since 2016...
never perceived this happening, but; here is the rub, it is not re: the performance of the team...

Rather, it has been the performance of the GIC Leadership and the Athletic Administrators who have chosen to,
IM(ABSOLUTELY NOT)HO...
treat me like a personna non-grata, after they treated me like a POS re: my (successful) efforts to, while working my ass off...
develop a business plan to expand the GIC Membership back in 2016, prove it worked, attempt to implement it, have them utterly ignore/reject it, do zilch in lieu of it, and POS me when I questioned them, even while I literally begged them to listen to me...

Keep in mind that Athletics recruited me re: the GIC BOD, which they refused to put me on as a Board Member, then created the false image of an Advisory Board that was not interested in advice.

Yes, I reached out to the A.D. after another fiasco...when the GIC Membership Committee, led by my efforts, as the Chair of it, failed to much of anything over an extended period of time. We planned a super participation for the 2016 Reunion Weekend...with all our participation except the absent Chair...we put it together in a very short period of time, ready to go; then, a few days prior to the weekend were told we could not do it because they decided, with no attempt to communicate with us, the Committee, their reasons...
after they knew what we were doing.

other than what it turned out to be...

Athletics had entered into a contract with an outside firm, Aspire...not to be confused with another Aspire something @ UM...
We, the Committee, were told we could not set up our displays in the CC concourse as we planned...
I had purchased, my $, a very attractive 8' UMass tailgate table, which, by itself, attracts UMies to it...well, attracted, inasmuch as it has been sitting, folded up in my garage since then. Another Committee person was gung ho re: setting up a nice display using a metal wire presentation unit we did not have. He made a call and within a day had it...for free.

We were told we had to show up and hang out with reps of Aspire and only speak with attendees if they approached us, but not re: GIC Membership.

I was concerned and looked up and found the UM contract with Aspire and their corp leaders, expecting at least one to attend.
I also checked the AG's Public Charities site re: Aspire...one cannot solicit $ as such, including Memberships, unless the company is Registered to do so with the AG. Aspire was not, leading to the Q as to why they were contracted...

Well, they were...to do Game Day Experience gigs...
After A.D. had hired a Game Day Experience person to do it as an employee, who happened to have worked for ...
Aspire...

https://umassathletics.com/staff.aspx?staff=384

The event was a disaster...
UMass Reunion Weekend 2016...
at most, including the 50th Anniversary Class of 1966, the attendance was 300...
BC had theirs around the same time and had 7,000.
Little Plattsburgh State (SUNY), near the Canadian border, around the same time, had theirs, with 2,000 attendees...

Four of us, despite the taking our well planned event away, nevertheless attended...
Three of us for two days each and Mrs. SM, after years of my efforts to have her join in and help with her superb corp skills related to 35+ yrs of successful tech...
We came and sought out the Aspire team...
... two young, recent UM alums hired by Aspire, with a table on which they had a few brochures and literally no plan...
no one from Aspire leadership.

In retrospect, we should have packed up and left then...

Nice kids, but raw and clueless with no Aspire corp planning...
(I assume Aspire was being nicely paid their $contract)...

At one point, an Alumni Assn staffer came to me to complain I was not reaching out into the Blue Wall to mix with attendees.
We were told not to by Athletics...
I took one for the team and accepted the somewhat humiliation...

After certain people left, we went and brought the football table and set it up in the concourse. Within minutes, attendees started coming over to us to talk UMass football.

Fast Forward, past other unacceptables...

Fall 2016, I submitted my resignation from the GIC...
having been on the Membership Committee and pretty much treated as the unofficial Chair, by the real working members of it, in the regular abstentia of the named Chair's (non) participation...(always too busy; never a single meeting...too busy was he).

...Fact is, after other Committee Members said they considered me their Chair, I asked yet another Athletics staffer, with GIC responsibility, if It would be correct to consider myself the Chair, especially after he was soliciting my help...
He said that would be a correct assumption...then, a few days later, when our plans were nixed, I supposedly had misunderstood him...

I had been very thorough with my inquiry and the response had been quite clear...
Obviously, others...GIC BODs and higher admins had shot the arrow in the heart.

It was after that that I still tried to make it right...
A.D. said he would set up a meeting with me...with the then co-Pres/now Pres of the GIC and Tom McElroy, who appeared to be A.D.'s #2 then (he mysteriously disappeared from UM Athletics some months later)...
It took at least a month to set the meeting up...just a Conference Call... their choice...

It was set up to be on a Thursday Novemeber 2016, two days prior to a game at McGuirk.
The three of us called in.

Tom McElroy spoke first, "explaining" some things to me...
All he had to say was repetition of who Aspire was and that they could not do anything associated with fund raising...
all of which I already knew and they knew I knew it... n ot a single utterance of anything new, an apology...cold as ice...

The GIC Pres spoke next...
announcing he was busy, had another meeting he was supposed to be at ... at the same time ... had to go ... could I meet with him at the upcoming game two days later, to discuss everything...

SHOCKED and INSULTED, I nevertheless agreed...curiousity sought me out.

Come Saturday, I was at the Performance Center...
Three times I walked over to the GIC Pres.
Thtree times, as I approached him and he saw me, he turned around and walked away.

32 month have passed and nary a word from him...

I told our A.D. there was a problem that needed to be discussed ... the two of us...
told him at Mullins more than once...

Never heard back a word...

I am done...
with UM Football...

I can leave all with an appreciation of the years of signs...and I cherish all of your caring...over decades...

I considered going to the game this past Saturday...
The signs that did not happen...

4 of them, one per Quarter, displayed before the maybe 100 fans on the visitor side...

White Foamboard...Blank
Maroon Foamboard...Blank
Gray Foamboard...Blank
Black Foamboard...Blank

It was a good run...lots of yardage while it lasted...

No need to respond...

Be yourself...
Be good...
enjoy...
have fun...

It's a big world out there with lots of opportunities to do good...
EDOC TERCES REPUS!

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:01 pm

Welp... that took a turn.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

MJatUM
Hall of Fame

Post by MJatUM » Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:15 pm

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:16 pm

I love football, I love UMass. It's tough right now, but 2 games in isn't enough time to change the program. In 2 years if we don't notice the improved direction, then I might be concerned, but I have to give Coach Bell ample opportunity to right the ship. Recruit, recruit, recruit, and demand excellence and this will turn. I believe the administration is too committed, and the staff is driven to succeed. In 2 years we should know if its going in the right direction, so I'll stick with them until then at least.
The E sho, best show in town

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:21 pm

LS71 wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:34 am

See you at the Bill during hoops season. Maybe you can talk me off the ledge... 8) :lol:
Yes, you will, and hopefully someone takes note and we see you at halfcourt for all your seasons of being a STH. You can't give it up LS, you know that 8)

jpatsfan
Junior

Post by jpatsfan » Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:56 pm

I'm not going to watch BC. I can't do it. Guys I know I am a whole lot of bark and no bite. I'm just tired of losing and losing badly. I'm staying away and probably will watch the Big Ten and Big 12. Just sad this is were we are.

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:34 pm

^ see what a good nights sleep will do for ya :wink:

I figure if I sat thru the 2-24 Ray Wilson years and being the worst D1 team in the country that I can make it thru this football transition. Just need the right coach/staff to get it done. Hopefully this one can do it

Swampy
Hall of Fame

Post by Swampy » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:13 am

LS71 wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:34 am
^ Don’t get wrong, Floyd. I was, I am UMass!

Over time I’ve let all the little things go because of that. But the continuing negative that the football program has become just pisses me off.
Make believe you're a student. Go to a tailgate and go home. Nice way to spend some time with family/friends and have some fun! 8)

Berkman
Hall of Fame

Post by Berkman » Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:04 pm

This was from the FB blog and the gazette:
https://www.gazettenet.com/Quarterback- ... s-28398016

We don't need a QB competition between West and anyone else.West is a senior and should not even be considered for the position. Let him be about the 3rd backup. We need to build for the future so we need to start a younger QB. There are what 4 or 5 other QB on the team. Pick one of them and go with him. We did it with Cohen when he was a Freshman. Also scrap the no huddle offense. We are getting too many false starts. The color guy on the TV broadcast said that the QB's were clapping their hands which was confusing the O line.

BostonBert
Junior

Post by BostonBert » Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:10 pm

I refuse to stop paying attention or stop watching, no matter how bad this gets. If you’re a fan of something, you stick with it through the shit to truly enjoy it when things are good. We’ve survived the likes of Kevin Morris and Charley Molnar, so we can survive Walt Bell too.

dennisdent
Senior

Post by dennisdent » Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:57 pm

I watched every game of the Patriots 2-14 season. It was sweet pleasure to tear down the goal post after the win over the Bengals in 1985.

I hope I'm still around when UMass wins their first Bowl Game! I will continue to support my school and football program. Of course my Master's school of the University of Oklahoma gives me a winning program to off-set UMass. Hopefully some day they play!

stevemaz
Junior

Post by stevemaz » Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:22 am

Meanwhile, the US News 2019-2020 school rankings came out and among Public schools that play Div 1 football UMass Is now ranked 19th. I have to believe this matters.

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:45 am

BostonBert wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:10 pm
I refuse to stop paying attention or stop watching, no matter how bad this gets. If you’re a fan of something, you stick with it through the shit to truly enjoy it when things are good. We’ve survived the likes of Kevin Morris and Charley Molnar, so we can survive Walt Bell too.

This.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

Roadtrip
Hall of Fame

Post by Roadtrip » Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:28 am

All of the comments about being a fan through thick or thin are great, but the thread is State of the Program; and that state is dismal, with no evidence that that will change any time soon, if ever.

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:33 am

Roadtrip wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:28 am
All of the comments about being a fan through thick or thin are great, but the thread is State of the Program; and that state is dismal, with no evidence that that will change any time soon, if ever.

Right, that's accurate. But the comments about being a fan through thick and thin are in response to people stating they were going to actively stop watching/supporting. And if people actively stop watching/supporting, you're right, it will never change.