State of the Progam

Ringing the Bell on a new era of UM Football.
jpatsfan
Junior

Re: State of the Progam

Post by jpatsfan » Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:35 pm

Guys I have moved on from this train wreck. I went to UM in the mid 200'0's when we used to get pissed off about missing the playoffs, where being a national finalist against App State was not acceptable. This program has pissed me off so much that for the first time BC football will air in my house this weekend. BC.....FREAKING BC....thats how mad I am. By the way if you were wondering that was painful for me to type. Putting BC in my post always gives carpel tunnel and indigestion. Now I need to find the pepto bismol.

minutefanjsf
Senior

Post by minutefanjsf » Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:58 pm

jpatsfan wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:35 pm
Guys I have moved on from this train wreck. I went to UM in the mid 200'0's when we used to get pissed off about missing the playoffs, where being a national finalist against App State was not acceptable. This program has pissed me off so much that for the first time BC football will air in my house this weekend. BC.....FREAKING BC....thats how mad I am. By the way if you were wondering that was painful for me to type. Putting BC in my post always gives carpel tunnel and indigestion. Now I need to find the pepto bismol.
Well, in a couple of years when they face each other you will be disappointed. If you’re looking for another FBS to root for until we rise, pick some team that is not morally bankrupt. You know like army or navy.

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:52 pm

jpatsfan wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:35 pm
No, for the love of God, no. Don't do it!
The E sho, best show in town

LS71
Hall of Fame

Post by LS71 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:27 pm

I won’t go the BC route, but I’m done too.

I think back to the UMass-UNH play-off game in 3
2006...when fans weren’t allowed back in the stands after using the ‘facilities’...fans pissed at their seats...the stand reeked of urine as the liquid cascaded down the stands.

Fast forward to the ‘big boy’ era, I went to game over a Thanksgiving weekend...don’t remember the year. It snowed the night before the game, but no one bothered to remove the snow from the stands. Nice...paid to not be able to sit in the seats I bought.

Add those experiences to the crappy results on the field since going FBS, and the inescapable conclusion for me is...life’s too short to waste time going to bad games.

I’ve been an loyal season ticket holder for hoops since the year before Calipari. I’ve wavered a couple of times...end of the Lappas era and after last year. I got hooked on UMass hoops during the Erving era when I was a student, so it’s harder for me to cut the cord. I’m hoping to see an improved team this year or this may be it there as well. The older I get the less I enjoy making more of an effort to attend games than the players seem to expend on the field/court. STHs are not treated well...cheesy ‘gifts’, giveaways...first come first served? How hard is it to set up a table so STHs can pick up those giveaways like they do those gifts.

I can’t help but wonder why a school with such a highly regarded Sports Management major can’t mange it’s own sports in a professional way!
"Win without boasting, lose without crying." -- Julius Erving

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:15 am

^ Hey, who are you, and what did you do with LS? :shock:
The E sho, best show in town

LS71
Hall of Fame

Post by LS71 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:34 am

^ Don’t get wrong, Floyd. I was, I am UMass!

Over time I’ve let all the little things go because of that. But the continuing negative that the football program has become just pisses me off.

See you at the Bill during hoops season. Maybe you can talk me off the ledge... 8) :lol:

km109
Junior

Post by km109 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:56 am

I watched the first two games and like most everyone else was extremely disappointed in the results. That said, I'm not willing to write the Walt Bell era off after two games. He inherited a team that lost its top 2 QBs, its leading rusher, the first consensus All-American in a short FBS history and most of the best players in a less than mediocre defense. UMass had close to the bottom returning offensive production in FBS. There just wasn't anywhere close to a roster of FBS level players coming back.

Given that backdrop, Bell and staff pulled in a credible recruiting class after most of the best players were committed elsewhere. To this point, the 2020 class is encouraging. The staff is working to build relationships that seem to have been ignored by the prior regime, particularly in Massachusetts. Looking from the outside in, it seems that this younger staff relates well to recruits. The strength and conditioning program seems solid. From year to year we're seeing facility and other improvements that should also help with recruiting and performance.

Bottom line, it seems like the earliest point to throw in the towel on this coach and staff would be the middle of next season. If we go 0-12 with no discernible in season progress, I'll reconsider taking off the maroon colored glasses.

eldonabe
Hall of Fame

Post by eldonabe » Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:28 am

km109 wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:56 am
I watched the first two games and like most everyone else was extremely disappointed in the results. That said, I'm not willing to write the Walt Bell era off after two games. He inherited a team that lost its top 2 QBs, its leading rusher, the first consensus All-American in a short FBS history and most of the best players in a less than mediocre defense. UMass had close to the bottom returning offensive production in FBS. There just wasn't anywhere close to a roster of FBS level players coming back.

Given that backdrop, Bell and staff pulled in a credible recruiting class after most of the best players were committed elsewhere. To this point, the 2020 class is encouraging. The staff is working to build relationships that seem to have been ignored by the prior regime, particularly in Massachusetts. Looking from the outside in, it seems that this younger staff relates well to recruits. The strength and conditioning program seems solid. From year to year we're seeing facility and other improvements that should also help with recruiting and performance.

Bottom line, it seems like the earliest point to throw in the towel on this coach and staff would be the middle of next season. If we go 0-12 with no discernible in season progress, I'll reconsider taking off the maroon colored glasses.

I will continue to follow as I have (I attend 2 or 3 games and follow along with the rest however they are served up), Walt took over a dumpster fire IMO. Unlike Basketball where 1 kid can almost turn a program around by himself, Football needs many good players just to compete. They just need to develop this over the next two seasons. If Bell doesn't have a .500-ish team by year 3 then the chances of UMass ever being anything but a body bag game is pretty high.
In Matt McCall I trust!

ZooMass84
Sophomore

Post by ZooMass84 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:05 am

eldonabe wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:28 am
km109 wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:56 am

I will continue to follow as I have (I attend 2 or 3 games and follow along with the rest however they are served up), Walt took over a dumpster fire IMO. Unlike Basketball where 1 kid can almost turn a program around by himself, Football needs many good players just to compete. They just need to develop this over the next two seasons. If Bell doesn't have a .500-ish team by year 3 then the chances of UMass ever being anything but a body bag game is pretty high.
Amen. I'll go to a game or two; and watch the rest on NESN or B1G or SEC, and I donate to the Minuteman Club (they gave me a little helmet); but 8 years in and the whole thing is painful. Maybe 4-8 with Whipple was the high water mark for this program.

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:21 am

Enjoy not following UMass Football, folks. It's your prerogative.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

LS71
Hall of Fame

Post by LS71 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:49 pm

^
“If the people don’t want to come out to the ballpark,nobody’s going to stop them.” - Yogi Berra

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:09 pm

Like I said, enjoy!
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

LS71
Hall of Fame

Post by LS71 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:14 pm

^ The truth is that I do not ‘enjoy’ feeling this way. :|

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:16 pm

Yep, I'm sure.

eldonabe
Hall of Fame

Post by eldonabe » Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:40 pm

LS71 wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:14 pm
^ The truth is that I do not ‘enjoy’ feeling this way. :|
Take a year off - nothing wrong with that. Umass is definitely pissing uphill in the fight to be FBS relevant. Walt needs a little time for sure..... we all know that is a broken record around here, but at least we are trying it with a new guy instead of the "square peg round hole" approach by keeping Whip around for another year. That means more to me as something positive right now, than anything.

All that said, I am still glad I am not in UConn's shoes..... We are at least holding our own financially.
In Matt McCall I trust!