Game 9: Mississippi State

Whip'ing the program back into shape.
Hall of Fame

Re: Game 9: Mississippi State

Post by 78 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:24 pm

Pretty much had it with football and the way they continue to allow players to be seriously hurt. That hit on Comis was both targeting and completely unnecessary and it's the kind of hit allowed all the time. The runner was completely contained by other tacklers and a defensive player comes in full force and lowers his shoulder or helmet and rams into the head or upper body of the runner. It's absolutely ridiculous. That was a brutal hit and what made it worse was no penalty call.

In terms of the game, great effort. With the QB injuries, I expect one more win, with an outside chance at 2.
Bamford has erased McCutcheon

TruBluMaroon
Senior

Post by TruBluMaroon » Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:27 pm

^* Comis has no confidence to throw anything but sideline outs. So that takes Brenneman out of the mix. They don't even give Comis a rollout pass/run option.

cox'n
Junior

Post by cox'n » Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:31 pm

78 wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:24 pm
That hit on Comis was both targeting and completely unnecessary...
I completely agree.

Jackman
Senior

Post by Jackman » Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:54 pm

A pick-six and the punt return TD were the difference. With Ford, who knows the outcome. I like Comis, he's a gutsy, likeable kid, but he plays too much with his head cut off, and unfortunately a team like Miss State is capable of cutting it off for him. I was a little uneasy about him going back into the game so quickly, because he's precisely the sort of kid who will pop up and swear up and down that he doesn't have a concussion. Have to trust the medical staff on that call. Good adjustment by Miss State's coach coming out of the half with the QB runs. That's been a problem for us in the past, though not so much in the new scheme. I can't see Miss State doing much against Alabama though, they've got the defenders to close that last remaining hole that we couldn't.

For UMass, that's the 7th consecutive game against a SEC team that was a 1 score game in the 4th quarter, with 5 of those games being on the road. While a victory remains elusive, you really have to give credit to these players and coaches. There's no logical reason we should be so consistently competitive against these gigantic budget teams, but they're always ready to play and always just 1 play short of taking one of these games. This one felt different. I really thought we were going to score on that 4th and 1. Comis is just a touch too hyper to make the right reads consistently. Hope he's okay though. Randall West doesn't look ready.

bottom line
Sophomore

Post by bottom line » Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:03 am

Great, great performance by UMass yesterday. I think this program has finally turned the corner. We need to get bigger; Miss. St offensive line ave. 319 lbs and UMass def. line 258. We also need more "quality" depth. Once our first stringers get hurt or tired, we are in trouble. Our special teams need a lot of work. They have been bad all year. By the way, Miss. St' has to be one of the dirtiest teams in the country. The refs let them get away with a lot of cheap shots.

LS71
Hall of Fame

Post by LS71 » Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:11 pm

"Win without boasting, lose without crying." -- Julius Erving

tdmass
Senior

Post by tdmass » Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:16 pm

R Ishman Jr. Has had a problem all year with his emotions as I've stated before . . needs counseling . . this takes away from a valiant effort by the team. Agree that "cheap shots" by MSU weren't monitored by the officials for most of the game!

TruBluMaroon
Senior

Post by TruBluMaroon » Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:17 pm

Whipple sees himself as a Belichick clone, so don't look for official internal info. It was front and center on the tv broadcast. Anyone who
has seen a game live this year I am sure has questioned something Thomas has done. I wouldn't look much beyond him for the cause of the problem. Not exactly the kind of pub you want!!

dennisdent
Junior

Post by dennisdent » Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:15 pm

The kid was shot five times per yesterdays broadcast. I wonder if suffers from PTSD. I served with many people who suffered from PTSD and having a "short fuse" seemed to affect a lot them. Hope he gets some help and goes on to graduate from UMass. I do like his passion.

Great effort yesterday. The defense played hard, but Fitzgerald was just too much. If Comis was just a little bit better they could have won the game. I was thinking that Whip seemed to rest Young extra long and not try to pass to Breneman. I wonder if he was trying to save them for the rest of the season...It will be tough replacing the D-line seniors and Casail next year.

TruBluMaroon
Senior

Post by TruBluMaroon » Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:28 pm

^ Whip can rest them Sunday - Friday!!

TruBluMaroon
Senior

Post by TruBluMaroon » Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:42 am

Some respect for UM....Mississippi State moves up in the polls!

inthescoop
Hall of Fame

Post by inthescoop » Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:31 pm

So, UMass was beating Mississippi State at halftime.

Miss State is currently beating Alabama and the 4th quarter is about to start.

mdogt12
Hall of Fame

Post by mdogt12 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:52 pm

Alabama wins at the end

MJatUM
Hall of Fame

Post by MJatUM » Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:54 pm

There is a website - I think it is something like myteamisbetterthanyourteam.com - where they use this transitive property to prove how ANY team in the country (FBS) was better than any other team. I want to say our win vs FIU last season was the key cog in us being better than most of the big name programs.

McKinney
Junior

Post by McKinney » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:49 pm

MJatUM wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:54 pm
There is a website - I think it is something like myteamisbetterthanyourteam.com - where they use this transitive property to prove how ANY team in the country (FBS) was better than any other team. I want to say our win vs FIU last season was the key cog in us being better than most of the big name programs.
Thanks for the tip, quite an amusing site. :D Image
Ryan McKinney - Class of 2019 - @mckinney2019