Game # 10 Maine @ Fenway Park

Whip'ing the program back into shape.
User avatar
Old Cage
Hall of Fame
Posts: 5056
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2003 8:49 pm
Location: The Eastern Provinces

Re: Game # 10 Maine @ Fenway Park

Post by Old Cage » Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:17 am

mdogt12 wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:50 pm
Matt Vautour
@MattVautourDHG4h
There are 12,794 people here
From my perch, the stands on the first base side - from the on-deck circle out to the student section behind the first bullpen - were fuller than I expected.

The previous night, when Dartmouth steamrollered Brown, the crowd was also reported at 12,000+. So, 25,000 total for a weekend when BC and the Bruins and the Celts were also home.
"Jack didn’t have any envy in him," Calipari said. "He was the greatest coach to ever coach here."

User avatar
njumass08
Hall of Fame
Posts: 5602
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:06 am

Re: Game # 10 Maine @ Fenway Park

Post by njumass08 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:47 am

Thank goodness we held on for that win. Would have been another incredibly embarrassing day if we had lost. Should not have been that close. Taking our foot of the gas with 8+ minutes to go was absolutely ridiculous. Coach acted like we were up by four touchdowns.

I give Maine credit, they were prepared well and their defense was able to get a lot of pressure with some smart stunts and blitzes.

We need to really work on our o-line just getting smarter. They continue to make too many mistakes. These guys need to study study study in the off season. They should be working together on their own just as much as the QB’s and WR’s do.

A win is a win and we needed that one, so I left happy.

Great day overall. Had a lot of fun. But my goodness do we have the quietest fans in the world.
"I just believe in being positive." - Mark Whipple

User avatar
UMass02
Senior
Posts: 1112
Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2003 8:14 am

Re: Game # 10 Maine @ Fenway Park

Post by UMass02 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:00 am

njumass08 wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:47 am
But my goodness do we have the quietest fans in the world.
I’m just happy they showed up. Don’t look a gift horse in the mouth.

78
Hall of Fame
Posts: 7081
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2003 11:52 pm
Location: Near Boston

Re: Game # 10 Maine @ Fenway Park

Post by 78 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:07 am

Regarding fans being quiet, first when we are spread out like we were and only 11k or so in a place that holds 37K, that makes it difficult to generate noise.

Second, we were playing a more than meaningless game against a mediocre to bad FCS team that we should have destroyed, so really not much of a base from which to generate excitement.

Third, many people were probably there yesterday because it was a happening and were just enjoying themselves in the State Street Pavilion or elsewhere.

Finally, someone who I attended the game with yesterday described it best for me — since we are not in a conference, every game is like an exhibition game —little or nothing to play for and few if any real rivalries anymore. That makes it hard for many to get too excited.

I and my friends cheered yesterday, but it truly was the sound of he hand clapping.

Get in a conference, start winning more consistently and develop or redevelop some rivalries and we should get bigger and more enthusiastic crowds.

Onward.
Bamford has erased McCutcheon

Jack
Senior
Posts: 1024
Joined: Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:14 pm

Re: Game # 10 Maine @ Fenway Park

Post by Jack » Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:30 am

Awesome Awesome Night at Fenway !! We had a great time screaming and cheering for the minutemen. incredibly fun evening. Freezing cold but hilarious. Maine played like this was their super bowl. UMass played sporadically and seemed to go to sleep for a portion of the 2d half. Still a nice win. Congrats to the kids and the coaching staff. Hilarious to come here after a win and see the negative nellies bitching as usual. LOL. 3 wins out of 4 games and the one loss was to MSU which just took Alabama to the brink..... but still we have negative nellies finding something to bitch about.... LOL.... GO UMASS !!!!!!! :D

69MG
Hall of Fame
Posts: 6684
Joined: Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:07 pm
Location: Western Mass

Re: Game # 10 Maine @ Fenway Park

Post by 69MG » Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:06 am

njumass08 wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:47 am
Thank goodness we held on for that win. Would have been another incredibly embarrassing day if we had lost. Should not have been that close. Taking our foot of the gas with 8+ minutes to go was absolutely ridiculous. Coach acted like we were up by four touchdowns.

I give Maine credit, they were prepared well and their defense was able to get a lot of pressure with some smart stunts and blitzes.

We need to really work on our o-line just getting smarter. They continue to make too many mistakes. These guys need to study study study in the off season. They should be working together on their own just as much as the QB’s and WR’s do.

A win is a win and we needed that one, so I left happy.

Great day overall. Had a lot of fun. But my goodness do we have the quietest fans in the world.
Thomas was suspended (I think just for this game) and that hurt the O-Line somewhat but they do make critical mistakes at times.

Jack
Senior
Posts: 1024
Joined: Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:14 pm

Re: Game # 10 Maine @ Fenway Park

Post by Jack » Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:11 am

69MG wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:06 am
Thomas was suspended (I think just for this game) and that hurt the O-Line somewhat but they do make critical mistakes at times.
Correct not having your starting Left Tackle and your best OL player hurts the OL performance more than just a little bit. Still they persevered and got the W which is great. They kids were totally pumped up coming off the field and having the experience of playing at Fenway was awesome - Great night in the old bandbox !!

78
Hall of Fame
Posts: 7081
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2003 11:52 pm
Location: Near Boston

Re: Game # 10 Maine @ Fenway Park

Post by 78 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:49 am

Only savvy fans like Jack understand how great yesterday’s win over Maine was, as well as the genius coaching job we saw from Whipple.
Bamford has erased McCutcheon

eldonabe
Hall of Fame
Posts: 3895
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2003 4:34 pm
Location: Western MA

Re: Game # 10 Maine @ Fenway Park

Post by eldonabe » Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:41 am

78 wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:49 am
Only savvy fans like Jack understand how great yesterday’s win over Maine was, as well as the genius coaching job we saw from Whipple.
Sarcasm?
In Matt McCall I trust!

78
Hall of Fame
Posts: 7081
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2003 11:52 pm
Location: Near Boston

Re: Game # 10 Maine @ Fenway Park

Post by 78 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:50 am

^
Ya think? :D Leaving for Harvard soon. Go, U!
Bamford has erased McCutcheon

Jack
Senior
Posts: 1024
Joined: Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:14 pm

Re: Game # 10 Maine @ Fenway Park

Post by Jack » Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:00 pm

78 wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:49 am
Only savvy fans like Jack understand how great yesterday’s win over Maine was, as well as the genius coaching job we saw from Whipple.
And only super fans like 78 can find a reason to whine and bitch about our kids who have won the game and who have won 3 of their last 4 games. According to 78 nobody is allowed to have fun at the game, appreciate an improving program and enjoy a win. According to 78 we should always be negative and trash the team even when we win the game. Way to go super fan.

78
Hall of Fame
Posts: 7081
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2003 11:52 pm
Location: Near Boston

Re: Game # 10 Maine @ Fenway Park

Post by 78 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:13 pm

Jack wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:00 pm
78 wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:49 am
Only savvy fans like Jack understand how great yesterday’s win over Maine was, as well as the genius coaching job we saw from Whipple.
And only super fans like 78 can find a reason to whine and bitch about our kids who have won the game and who have won 3 of their last 4 games. According to 78 nobody is allowed to have fun at the game, appreciate an improving program and enjoy a win. According to 78 we should always be negative and trash the team even when we win the game. Way to go super fan.

Jack, don't be so angry. It's clear you are the super fan here, and it's clear that you possess a higher football intellect than anyone on this board or for that matter anyone in the country. Your definitely my favorite savvy fan.
Bamford has erased McCutcheon

Jack
Senior
Posts: 1024
Joined: Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:14 pm

Re: Game # 10 Maine @ Fenway Park

Post by Jack » Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:24 pm

78 wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:13 pm
Jack, don't be so angry. It's clear you are the super fan here, and it's clear that you possess a higher football intellect than anyone on this board or for that matter anyone in the country. Your definitely my favorite savvy fan.
Thanks for your concern, but I’m not angry, I’m glad to see our team winning and the program improving. I also understand that we should expect continued improvement and development. I had a great time last night at the game. I’m sorry that you apparently did not.

DrG
Senior
Posts: 1735
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2003 11:02 pm
Location: MA

Re: Game # 10 Maine @ Fenway Park

Post by DrG » Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:10 pm

^ I can tell you that 78 had a really good time at the game.

sloves90_611
Freshman
Posts: 40
Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2016 8:35 am
Contact:

Re: Game # 10 Maine @ Fenway Park

Post by sloves90_611 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:49 pm

78 wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:07 am
Regarding fans being quiet, first when we are spread out like we were and only 11k or so in a place that holds 37K, that makes it difficult to generate noise.

Second, we were playing a more than meaningless game against a mediocre to bad FCS team that we should have destroyed, so really not much of a base from which to generate excitement.

Third, many people were probably there yesterday because it was a happening and were just enjoying themselves in the State Street Pavilion or elsewhere.

Finally, someone who I attended the game with yesterday described it best for me — since we are not in a conference, every game is like an exhibition game —little or nothing to play for and few if any real rivalries anymore. That makes it hard for many to get too excited.

I and my friends cheered yesterday, but it truly was the sound of he hand clapping.

Get in a conference, start winning more consistently and develop or redevelop some rivalries and we should get bigger and more enthusiastic crowds.

Onward.
But that’s whats we are playing for. We are playing to qualify for a bowl and get into a conference. If people are able to recognize that and realize that every game matters that much more, I think the crowds would be into it.

Post Reply