FBS Playoff

Get ready for some MACtion
Cahoonaville
Senior

Re: FBS Playoff

Post by Cahoonaville » Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:13 pm

With so many coaches getting the ax will Lane Kiffin hang at FAU or will he be offered a power 5 job. He has done a remarkable job in his first year. Also if I was Scott Frost I wouldn’t take the Nebraska job but I have a feeling he will
Alex Guerrero, my HERO!!!!

Puffton395
Sophomore

Post by Puffton395 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:04 am

Cahoonaville wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:13 pm With so many coaches getting the ax will Lane Kiffin hang at FAU or will he be offered a power 5 job. He has done a remarkable job in his first year. Also if I was Scott Frost I wouldn’t take the Nebraska job but I have a feeling he will
I think something could open up for Lane, but, maybe not. He's done a great job at FAU from our perspective, but who knows if people actually want to deal with him leading their program. He has bounced around quite a bit and went from Alabama to FAU, that says something about who wanted him more than how talented of a coach he is.

As for Frost, I would jump at a P5 job in a heartbeat if I were him. Unless the program is in utter disarray, then maybe stay away from Nebraska, but, he is from Nebraska, went to Nebraska. If they come calling, I think he takes it.
UMass '10 but I run with the '06 class

McKinney
Senior

Post by McKinney » Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:14 am

Puffton395 wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:04 am As for Frost, I would jump at a P5 job in a heartbeat if I were him. Unless the program is in utter disarray, then maybe stay away from Nebraska, but, he is from Nebraska, went to Nebraska. If they come calling, I think he takes it.
He's already getting paid more than a few P5 head coaches and UCF could probably now afford to up his pay to ~$3M (and would not be the first AAC coach to make that much). That's more than he'd get at most P5 schools anyway (save for the top 25 or so P5 programs), including Nebraska. So other than the "homecoming" situation at Nebraska, I don't really understand why he'd leave for a struggling P5 program.

I suppose with so many big SEC jobs opening up this year, those might be attractive... otherwise doesn't make sense.
Class of 2019 - @StatsMass

inthescoop
Hall of Fame

Post by inthescoop » Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:30 am

UCF is the 2nd largest college in America by enrollment. You are in Florida and in the south, I do not believe that taking a position at Nebraska would be the right move. Times have changed, Nebraska isn't the hot spot it used to be.

The latest rumor is Jimbo Fisher to Texas A&M, now that would be something. Florida State isn't happy about their latest season despite all that Jimbo has done at FSU.

The Tennessee-Schiano situation is also an absolute mess.

Puffton395
Sophomore

Post by Puffton395 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:07 pm

inthescoop wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:30 am UCF is the 2nd largest college in America by enrollment. You are in Florida and in the south, I do not believe that taking a position at Nebraska would be the right move. Times have changed, Nebraska isn't the hot spot it used to be.

The latest rumor is Jimbo Fisher to Texas A&M, now that would be something. Florida State isn't happy about their latest season despite all that Jimbo has done at FSU.

UCF also went winless before Frost came to town.
UMass '10 but I run with the '06 class

inthescoop
Hall of Fame

Post by inthescoop » Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:07 pm

Puffton395 wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:07 pm
inthescoop wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:30 am UCF is the 2nd largest college in America by enrollment. You are in Florida and in the south, I do not believe that taking a position at Nebraska would be the right move. Times have changed, Nebraska isn't the hot spot it used to be.

UCF also went winless before Frost came to town.
Kind of my point, Frost can do better than Nebraska. I just read that he's from Nebraska and that's his alma mater. Well that changes a whole lot!

Cahoonaville
Senior

Post by Cahoonaville » Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:28 pm

Listening to ESPN radio in the car this afternoon and someone was trying real hard to make a case that USC still has a shot at getting in. Really? Last week they squeeked by a poor UCLA team. They lost to Washington State, Washington State was crushed by Washington last week. They were crushed by Notre Dame, a team that was crushed by Miami and that lost to Stanford last week. Miami lost to Pitt. What does another win over Stanford get them? Nothing but a PAC 12 championship and a better luck next year.

Cahoonaville
Senior

Post by Cahoonaville » Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:40 pm

If OSU wins the big 10 title this year it will be almost the exact same case as Penn State last year except their blowout loss would be worse because Michigan was a much better team last year (ranked #4 at the time PSU played them) than an unranked Iowa who OSU lost to this year. Also, Wisconsin was ranked 6th last year when PSU beat them in the Big Ten championship game!!! That still didn't get Penn State into the playoffs with a head to head over Ohio State (who was ranked #2 in the country at the time). I don't want to hear the argument of how good OSU's SOS was last year. They lost head to head and did not win the big 10 championship. Everything they literally are lobbying for this year is exactly what they lobbied against last year to get in. There would have to be epic levels of hypocrisy for them to get in this year. They are a poor mans 2016 Penn State team with worse losses. Literally no argument for them and the precedent of last year should play into this years decision otherwise it's letting Ohio State have their cake and it too which I don't think the committee cares about unfortunately.

DrG
Senior

Post by DrG » Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:25 pm

Here's who I do not want in the CFP: Alabama and Wisconsin. Borrrrrrrrring. I understand the case against Ohio State but they'd still be more interesting than those teams. You know the last thing Oklahoma wants is a rematch with the Buckeyes. I could take a Clemson vs. Oklahoma final.

gosox22
Junior

Post by gosox22 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:13 pm

^ Boring Schmoring. You earn your right to make the playoff, and a 13-0 Wisconsin would certainly earn their right. They are a program that does things the right way and should seriously be a team anyone can root for. Yes, I'll admit it, I'm getting a bit brainwashed living in the state now, but still. :lol:

That said, I still have my doubts they can beat OSU on Saturday. Go Badgers!

MJatUM
Hall of Fame

Post by MJatUM » Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:14 pm

Just prepare yourself for the OSU blowout of Wisconsin and snaking their way into the CFP. It definitely wont have anything to do with the OSU AD being on the CFP committee though.

Swampy
Hall of Fame

Post by Swampy » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:43 pm

gosox22 wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:13 pm ^ Boring Schmoring. You earn your right to make the playoff, and a 13-0 Wisconsin would certainly earn their right. They are a program that does things the right way and should seriously be a team anyone can root for. Yes, I'll admit it, I'm getting a bit brainwashed living in the state now, but still. :lol:

Go Badgers!
A friend of mine began his college career in Madison.
"Go Badgers" indeed!

stevemaz
Senior

Post by stevemaz » Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:22 am

stevemaz wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:17 am I was way off..haha. heading into final week:

I will stick with my prediction from earlier in the week. I would take Ohio st over Alabama

Prediction:
1. Clemson
2. Oklahoma
3. Georgia
4. Ohio St (this will be the argument.. a two loss P5 champ over a 1 loss SEC team)
5. Alabama
6. Wiscy
7. USC (this team blew it early and probably should have been in playoff)
8. Central Fla
9. Penn St
10. Miami
11. Auburn
12. UMass

DrG
Senior

Post by DrG » Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:24 pm

^ Minutes away from the big announcement, I finally agree with you.

UPDATE: So 'Bama it is. I don't agree, but I can't say I'm surprised. The handwriting was on the wall last week when the committee ranked Alabama 5th and dropped Ohio St. to 8th. Looks like a Clemson-Oklahoma final to me..

Quann
Hall of Fame

Post by Quann » Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:45 pm

I’ll repeat myself again. Give me 6 teams! Biggest nobrainer in the history of earth. 8 is too many.