FBS Playoff

Get ready for some MACtion
InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Re: FBS Playoff

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:04 pm

eldon hits the nail on the head in a perfect world scenario. Unfortunately, that's not the case with NCAA Football due to the P5 conferences controlling the system. At this point there should only be an expansion if the NCAA takes control rather than this ranking committee system.

How that works, though, is beyond me at this point...
Last edited by InnervisionsUMASS on Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

MJatUM
Hall of Fame

Post by MJatUM » Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:50 pm

eldonabe wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:27 pm I also don't want to watch some sacrificial lamb auto bid from the Sunbelt get obliterated in the first round by the #1 seed either - No Thank you.
WARNING: MARTY PERETZ LEVEL POST LENGTH TO FOLLOW:

Boise State in '06 and UCF this year (plenty others, I'm sure) would like to have a word with you. I agree with most of what you say except the part I quoted. Sure watching Clemson stomp on Troy or App St (although both won their bowls, App St convincingly) might not be great TV, but there's almost no chance that all 4 would be cake walks... Let me play out a completely unnecessary round of 16 (Please don't nitpick my seeding, as this is 1000000% hypothetical):

1) Clemson (ACC Bid) vs 16) Toledo (MAC Bid) - Cake Walk. Clemson 56-0
2) Oklahoma (B12 Bid) vs 15) Boise St (MWC Bid) - Also probably a cake walk. OU 48-14
3) Georgia (SEC Bid) vs 14) Troy (Sun Belt Bid) - Maybe a good game? Georgia should win though.
4) Bama (At large 1) vs 13) FAU (CUSA Bid) - Boomshakalaka! Saban vs Kiffin! Bama wins 105-3
5) OSU (B10 Bid) vs 12) UCF (AAC Bid) - This would very likely be a great game.
6) Wisconsin (At Large 2) vs 11) Washington (At Large 6) - Good game maybe? Wisconsin kind of bored me this year
7) Auburn (At large 3) vs 10) Miami (At large 5) - good game
8) USC (PAC Bid) vs 9) vs 9) Penn State (At large 4) - good game I guess...

So let's say UCF upsets OSU (12 over 5 :D ) and Miami beat Auburn, all the other favorites won.

1) Clemson vs 12) UCF - LOVE IT
2) OU vs 10) Miami - LOVE IT
3) UGA vs 8) USC - LOVE IT
4) Bama vs 6) Wisconsin - Blood bath

So maybe Steve Maz was on to something with his 12 team playoff and the top 4 get byes. But now we're leaving out 4 at-large teams which would eliminate Washington (who cares), Miami (exciting, maybe), Penn State (who cares) and Auburn (who cares). That leaves us with:

5) OSU vs 12) Toledo
6) Wisconsin vs 11) Boise St
7) USC vs 10) Troy
8) UCF vs 9) FAU

OSU-Toledo is probably the only surefire blowout in the bunch.

Either way, going to 6 or 8 adds a 3rd week of playoffs - going to 9-16 teams adds a 4th week of playoffs. I'm not sure these colleges want to be doubling the length of the playoff. If you start throwing byes into the mix now people are bitching about who should've got the bye. Listen, 68 teams now make the college basketball tournament and there are always 3 or 4 teams that think they got snubbed so there's no right number to include everyone.

Crank
Senior

Post by Crank » Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:55 pm

P5 conference champs, highest ranked G5, two at large:

This year would have been Georgia as SEC champ, Clemson as ACC champ, Ohio State as Big 10 champ, Oklahoma as Big 12 champ, USC as Pac 12 champ and UCF as the best of the G5. At larges would have been Alabama and Wisconsin based on the final playoff rankings.

Using the final rankings for seeding you get Clemson-UCF, Oklahoma-USC, Georgia-Wisconsin and Alabama-Auburn as your first round games. Looks pretty good from where I sit.

eldonabe
Hall of Fame

Post by eldonabe » Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:23 pm

I will just say this and you all can take it for what it is worth..............

Most of the "Student Athletes" in the two major college sports might be Athlete Students at best.... these kids are treated as money machines for the schools as these two sports cover an otherwise huge athletic department deficit.

1 - However, IMO if these kids really are supposed to be Students, there should be an NCAA Competition blackout the first two weeks of EVERY December so that 1st semester finals can be taken. Adding another round (or 2) of playoffs would push even later into January.

2 - In the current climate of "concussion awareness" - adding more games would be unbelievably counter to that theme - even if it is only 1 or 2 more games for a couple teams - that is is contrary to the medical complications possibly down the road.

minutefanjsf
Hall of Fame

Post by minutefanjsf » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:17 pm

eldonabe wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:23 pm I will just say this and you all can take it for what it is worth..............

Most of the "Student Athletes" in the two major college sports might be Athlete Students at best.... these kids are treated as money machines for the schools as these two sports cover an otherwise huge athletic department deficit.

1 - However, IMO if these kids really are supposed to be Students, there should be an NCAA Competition blackout the first two weeks of EVERY December so that 1st semester finals can be taken. Adding another round (or 2) of playoffs would push even later into January.

2 - In the current climate of "concussion awareness" - adding more games would be unbelievably counter to that theme - even if it is only 1 or 2 more games for a couple teams - that is is contrary to the medical complications possibly down the road.

Agree mostly. But, as Mike Leach put it, only FBS doesn’t have a real playoff. FCS Playoffs end up making their season 15 games.

stevemaz
Senior

Post by stevemaz » Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:40 pm

my final poll would look something like this

1. Georgia/Bama winner
2. UCF
3. Georgia/Bama loser
4. Oklahoma
5. Ohio St
6. Wiscy
7. Clemson
8. Penn St
9. TCU
10. USC
11. Ok St
12. Miami
13. ND
14. Auburn
15. Mich st
16. Wash
17. Northwestern
18. S. Fla
19. LSU
20. Stanford
21. Miss St
22. Boise St
23. NC ST
24. FAU
25. Memphis or Troy

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:41 am

stevemaz wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:40 pm my final poll would look something like this

1. Georgia/Bama winner
2. UCF
3. Georgia/Bama loser
4. Oklahoma
5. Ohio St
6. Wiscy
7. Clemson
8. Penn St
9. TCU
10. USC
11. Ok St
12. Miami
13. ND
14. Auburn
15. Mich st
16. Wash
17. Northwestern
18. S. Fla
19. LSU
20. Stanford
21. Miss St
22. Boise St
23. NC ST
24. FAU
25. UMass
Fixed that for you.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades