FBS Playoff

Whip'ing the program back into shape.
User avatar
natwam2547
Senior
Posts: 1351
Joined: Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:31 pm

Re: FBS Playoff

Post by natwam2547 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:43 am

Quann wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:29 am
natwam2547 wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:22 am
^ Every year is different but the problem with 6 is that the difference between #2 Oklahoma and #3 Georgia this year is so so small. How in the world could you decide that Oklahoma is THAT much more deserving than Georgia to get that bye? Wouldn't be fair to Georgia (or whoever finished 3rd) to have to play Wisconsin or USC or whoever finished 6th while Oklahoma was at home.
You can say the same thing about Alabama getting the 4 seed and Ohio State missing out. Mjatum nailed it with his post.
I think the separation between Ohio State and Alabama is greater than that of Oklahoma and Georgia. Ohio State were conference champions but they also had 2 ugly losses. I think when the rubber hit the road the committee thought that Alabama was a better team than Ohio State, and I can't say I disagree. Plus OSU got in in 2014 and 2016 when there were plenty of data points that would suggest that they shouldn't have. So I don't feel bad for them or their fans. As a neutral observer I'm really looking forward to the semifinal match ups. It's anyone's game this year, where in years past you couldn't say that. 2014 FSU was flawed, 2015 MSU was flawed, last year Washington had no shot to beat 'Bama. Having Bama in over OSU spares us the chance that they get their doors blown off 31-0 to Clemson just like they did last year.

User avatar
MJatUM
Hall of Fame
Posts: 3443
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:46 pm
Location: Attleboro

Re: FBS Playoff

Post by MJatUM » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:47 am

I agree that Bama is probably the better team but they are being rewarded for scheduling an absolute joke of an out of conference schedule. One of OSU's losses was against the #2 team who they had the balls to schedule - It basically came down to OSU lost to Iowa so they aren't in.

User avatar
Quann
Senior
Posts: 1081
Joined: Sun Apr 06, 2003 11:17 pm
Location: Lake Boon, MA

Re: FBS Playoff

Post by Quann » Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:06 pm

I get where you are coming from Natwam. I just feel like going to 8 waters down the regular season and college football's current set up allows for it to have the best regular season in all of sports (IMHO). FCS going to 24 teams is absurd. Why even bother with a full regular season if the top fifth of all teams (124 total in FCS in 2017) get in?

DrG
Senior
Posts: 1719
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2003 11:02 pm
Location: MA

Re: FBS Playoff

Post by DrG » Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:13 pm

Let's not forget that Alabama opened the season against Florida State when they were supposed to be the #2 team. Who knew FSU was going to be that bad after their QB went down. Bama schedules OOC cupcakes because the SEC West has historically been much tougher than the East, but that wasn't the case this year with the decline of teams like LSU, Ole Miss and A&M. Again, not Alabama's fault. As I have said, I would rather have seen Ohio State selected, but I can understand why the committee did what they did.

McKinney
Junior
Posts: 269
Joined: Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:12 pm

Re: FBS Playoff

Post by McKinney » Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:23 pm

Quann wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:06 pm
I get where you are coming from Natwam. I just feel like going to 8 waters down the regular season and college football's current set up allows for it to have the best regular season in all of sports (IMHO). FCS going to 24 teams is absurd. Why even bother with a full regular season if the top fifth of all teams (124 total in FCS in 2017) get in?
Top 5th, wow college basketball must suck! I can't believe anyone watches a game at all when 64 of the 350 teams get in. Don't get me started on the NFL, absolute trash in terms of ratings. You'd have to pay people to go to games or even watch it on TV. Who wants to watch that garbage when more than a third of the teams get into the playoffs. :roll:
Ryan McKinney - Class of 2019 - @mckinney2019

McKinney
Junior
Posts: 269
Joined: Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:12 pm

Re: FBS Playoff

Post by McKinney » Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:26 pm

DrG wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:13 pm
Let's not forget that Alabama opened the season against Florida State when they were supposed to be the #2 team. Who knew FSU was going to be that bad after their QB went down. Bama schedules OOC cupcakes because the SEC West has historically been much tougher than the East, but that wasn't the case this year with the decline of teams like LSU, Ole Miss and A&M. Again, not Alabama's fault. As I have said, I would rather have seen Ohio State selected, but I can understand why the committee did what they did.
Alabama (reasonably) can't control its strength of schedule just like the other 129 teams can't control their strength of schedule. You (within reason) can't know the exact performance of your opponents going into the season.
Ryan McKinney - Class of 2019 - @mckinney2019

User avatar
Quann
Senior
Posts: 1081
Joined: Sun Apr 06, 2003 11:17 pm
Location: Lake Boon, MA

Re: FBS Playoff

Post by Quann » Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:20 pm

^^^^
Outside of my rooting interest for UMass of course, I find the college basketball regular season kind of boring compared to CFB because there are so many teams that make the postseason tourney. Thank you for making my point :D

User avatar
Quann
Senior
Posts: 1081
Joined: Sun Apr 06, 2003 11:17 pm
Location: Lake Boon, MA

Re: FBS Playoff

Post by Quann » Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:38 pm

I'm an odd duck when it comes to college sports though. If it was up to me and Drumpf named me college sports czar for a day, I'd eliminate the conference championships in both football and basketball and go straight from the regular season to the FBS playoffs and NCAA tourney, respectively. This would really intensify the regular seaon in both sports. 6 teams in FBS get in and 64 teams (no play in games) for basketball. I know it's a dream that will never happen because these sports make way too much money off of their conference championships.

McKinney
Junior
Posts: 269
Joined: Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:12 pm

Re: FBS Playoff

Post by McKinney » Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:58 pm

Quann wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:20 pm
^^^^
Outside of my rooting interest for UMass of course, I find the college basketball regular season kind of boring compared to CFB because there are so many teams that make the postseason tourney. Thank you for making my point :D
I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.
Quann wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:38 pm
I'm an odd duck when it comes to college sports though. If it was up to me and Drumpf named me college sports czar for a day, I'd eliminate the conference championships in both football and basketball and go straight from the regular season to the FBS playoffs and NCAA tourney, respectively. This would really intensify the regular seaon in both sports. 6 teams in FBS get in and 64 teams (no play in games) for basketball. I know it's a dream that will never happen because these sports make way too much money off of their conference championships.
I agree, I'd get rid of the conference championships too. It's pretty meaningless in my book. At least in football the oldest started like 20 some odd years ago and a few of them are only maybe 5 years old, so I don't even see it as a loss of tradition or anything.
Ryan McKinney - Class of 2019 - @mckinney2019

DrG
Senior
Posts: 1719
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2003 11:02 pm
Location: MA

Re: FBS Playoff

Post by DrG » Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:16 pm

There's no reason the committee couldn't pick the four best teams at the end of the regular season, but here's the overriding factor: $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

stevemaz
Junior
Posts: 359
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:23 am

Re: FBS Playoff

Post by stevemaz » Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:43 pm

looking at all bowls I saw that no 5-7 teams were chosen, in fact three eligible teams (Buffalo, W Mich and UTSA) didn't get bid. I suppose UMass would not have gotten a bid at 6-6

User avatar
InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame
Posts: 12825
Joined: Fri Apr 04, 2003 1:32 am
Location: Milford, MA
Contact:

Re: FBS Playoff

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:50 pm

That's another thing that makes the system so ridiculous. You set a standard of 6 wins to be bowl eligible, you win 6 games, yet you still might not get into a bowl. *facepalm*
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

McKinney
Junior
Posts: 269
Joined: Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:12 pm

Re: FBS Playoff

Post by McKinney » Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:57 pm

DrG wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:16 pm
There's no reason the committee couldn't pick the four best teams at the end of the regular season, but here's the overriding factor: $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Image
Ryan McKinney - Class of 2019 - @mckinney2019

User avatar
Quann
Senior
Posts: 1081
Joined: Sun Apr 06, 2003 11:17 pm
Location: Lake Boon, MA

Re: FBS Playoff

Post by Quann » Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:15 pm

McKinney wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:58 pm
Quann wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:20 pm
^^^^
Outside of my rooting interest for UMass of course, I find the college basketball regular season kind of boring compared to CFB because there are so many teams that make the postseason tourney. Thank you for making my point :D
I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.
Quann wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:38 pm
I'm an odd duck when it comes to college sports though. If it was up to me and Drumpf named me college sports czar for a day, I'd eliminate the conference championships in both football and basketball and go straight from the regular season to the FBS playoffs and NCAA tourney, respectively. This would really intensify the regular seaon in both sports. 6 teams in FBS get in and 64 teams (no play in games) for basketball. I know it's a dream that will never happen because these sports make way too much money off of their conference championships.
I agree, I'd get rid of the conference championships too. It's pretty meaningless in my book. At least in football the oldest started like 20 some odd years ago and a few of them are only maybe 5 years old, so I don't even see it as a loss of tradition or anything.
In basketball, it's brutal. You can have a sub .500 team catch fire in March and win the conference tourney and get the auto-bid. I hate that.

McKinney
Junior
Posts: 269
Joined: Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:12 pm

Re: FBS Playoff

Post by McKinney » Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:44 pm

Quann wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:15 pm
McKinney wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:58 pm
Quann wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:20 pm
^^^^
Outside of my rooting interest for UMass of course, I find the college basketball regular season kind of boring compared to CFB because there are so many teams that make the postseason tourney. Thank you for making my point :D
I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.
Quann wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:38 pm
I'm an odd duck when it comes to college sports though. If it was up to me and Drumpf named me college sports czar for a day, I'd eliminate the conference championships in both football and basketball and go straight from the regular season to the FBS playoffs and NCAA tourney, respectively. This would really intensify the regular seaon in both sports. 6 teams in FBS get in and 64 teams (no play in games) for basketball. I know it's a dream that will never happen because these sports make way too much money off of their conference championships.
I agree, I'd get rid of the conference championships too. It's pretty meaningless in my book. At least in football the oldest started like 20 some odd years ago and a few of them are only maybe 5 years old, so I don't even see it as a loss of tradition or anything.
In basketball, it's brutal. You can have a sub .500 team catch fire in March and win the conference tourney and get the auto-bid. I hate that.
Very true and very annoying, unless it's UMass! :D
Ryan McKinney - Class of 2019 - @mckinney2019

Post Reply