Game 6: vs Ohio

Whip'ing the program back into shape.
Hall of Fame

Re: Game 6: vs Ohio

Post by 78 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:09 pm

Jack wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:37 pm
Tough loss but an entertaining game. Ohio is a good team and UMass should have won the game but for a few mistakes. Ohio scored 10 points off of UM offensive mistakes / turnovers and a 7 off UM special teams error. Still the team has improved greatly and we just need to get a few guys healthy and put it all together - which I think will happen in 2 weeks.

The negative nellies on here are absurd. Whipple has had very good recruiting and he is building a very solid program that is steadily improving. Literally only a moron would advocate terminating the Coach during the season. Fire the Coach is such a classic dumb fan reaction and in this case it demonstrates an incredibly warped perspective.
Jack -- looking forward to what you have to say at the end of the season when Whipple's tenure ends.
Bamford has erased McCutcheon

JBUMass2011
Sophomore

Post by JBUMass2011 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:07 am

Jack wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:37 pm
Tough loss but an entertaining game. Ohio is a good team and UMass should have won the game but for a few mistakes. Ohio scored 10 points off of UM offensive mistakes / turnovers and a 7 off UM special teams error. Still the team has improved greatly and we just need to get a few guys healthy and put it all together - which I think will happen in 2 weeks.

The negative nellies on here are absurd. Whipple has had very good recruiting and he is building a very solid program that is steadily improving. Literally only a moron would advocate terminating the Coach during the season. Fire the Coach is such a classic dumb fan reaction and in this case it demonstrates an incredibly warped perspective.
Mistakes!? Special teams errors!? First I have heard of these. They don't happen to this well coached team...

SMH. We have had nearly the worst special teams in the country for 6 years. Call me crazy but this phase of the game has been The biggest issue for UMass with defense just a tad behind. No development of kickers. Because of special teams we give up points rather then getting points and we lose field position battles regularly putting defense and offense in crap spots. For example in the Ohio game there were at least 2 huge returns for OHio after umass scores that killed momentum and backed up the defense.

The fact Whipple is still employed is mind blowing. The fact that the special teams coach still has a job is the biggest mystery on planet earth.

MJatUM
Hall of Fame

Post by MJatUM » Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:20 am

I want to know why we lose, on average, 1 guy per possession every game. I would say it is an anomaly but it is now becoming a trend. Every year we have guys down ALL game.

gosox22
Junior

Post by gosox22 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:16 pm

There is a 0% chance Whipple is still the head coach going into next season.

inthescoop
Hall of Fame

Post by inthescoop » Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:17 pm

Sure, Whipple deserves a lot of the blame. However, I am also very disappointed with Ed Pinkham. After a fantastic season at Western Michigan, I thought that our D would truly excel under his leadership.

minutefanjsf
Senior

Post by minutefanjsf » Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:04 pm

inthescoop wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:17 pm
Sure, Whipple deserves a lot of the blame. However, I am also very disappointed with Ed Pinkham. After a fantastic season at Western Michigan, I thought that our D would truly excel under his leadership.
Ummmm. PJ Fleck recruited Defense, Whip literally has not recruited an ILB in four years. Pinkham has very little to work with here. We have the ability to shut down either a passing game or running game, we can not defend against a balanced offensive attack. We simply do not have the bodies on that side of the ball. Supposedly, we have a bunch of guys red shirting that will help next year, but that is too late. Jackson Porter is not going to all of a sudden become Deion Sanders because of a new coach.

UMass02
Senior

Post by UMass02 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:59 pm

bottom line wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:58 pm
I was at the game Saturday and had a nice chat with the AD outside the Commonwealth Club tent. He was there greeting fans. Please stop spreading this crap about a "disappearing act". UMass is lucky to have Ryan Bamford.
I’m just stating observations. I’m not knocking Bamford, he’s definitely a solid AD. I’m just stating that he has reduced his visibility in the past in similar coaching situations. Doesn’t make him a bad AD, he is just trying to avoid negative interactions.

SignMan
Hall of Fame

Post by SignMan » Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:11 am

SignMan wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:35 pm
LS71 wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:13 am
SignMan wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:22 am

I emailed the following to the Chancellor, A.D. and UM Rabbi Aaron Fine...

Gentlemen…

As you are all aware, the UM Athletics HOF Induction Ceremony will be held this evening at 6:00 PM, coincidental with the time the Yom Kippur Kol Nidrei service will be held in this general area.

This is not the first time the HOF event has been held on the High Holidays.

I am not here to place blame on anyone, but to urge all of you to meet to take this into perspective. Our great Public Institution needs to establish a University Policy re: scheduling such events at the holiest of times, in consideration of all faiths.

I regret not being able to attend this year’s HOF event, at which a former teammate of mine, Tim Edwards, will be inducted. I am not the only one who will be absent for this reason.

Sincerely,
Thanks for posting this, SM. Please let us know if you get a reply.

Best wishes for a happy and healthy new year to you and yours! 8)
--------------------

I received the following reply from Ryan Bamford, two hours after I sent him my email on Friday...
I consider this a quality response... on behalf of everyone.

"Dear Ed,

Thank you for your email regarding our Hall of Fame Dinner this evening. I want to personally apologize for the oversight we made as a department. We should have been more thoughtful to avoid this date in celebrating our honorees and inviting our distinguished guests back to campus. In short, I am truly sorry for compromising your ability to attend this year’s dinner that we are always proud to host and celebrate within the UMass Athletics family.

Ed, please know UMass Athletics strives to achieve an inclusive environment and experience for everyone. I hope this this year’s conflict will not deter you from attending future events on campus. In college athletics, we struggle to schedule games around holidays for all faiths because of when they fall on the calendar (Jewish, Christian and others), however we certainly could have chosen another football weekend to hold our Hall of Fame activities.

Again, I express my sincere apologies for scheduling this special event on such an important holiday. I promise we will do better in the future to ensure we are fully inclusive with our events.

Thank you,
Ryan"
I was informed yesterday that several parents contacted the U, upset that an Isenberg invite for a parent tailgate on Yom Kippur went out.
the best part of being Sign Man
is ... being Mrs. Sign Man's other half.

MJatUM
Hall of Fame

Post by MJatUM » Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:27 am

^ I mean with all due respect to Yom Kippur you can't expect them to move a football game from the normal day it is played every week of every year. I completely understand being upset that the HOF event fell on it since that is a pretty loosely scheduled event.

MajBugman
Senior

Post by MajBugman » Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:29 am

minutefanjsf wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:04 pm
inthescoop wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:17 pm
Ummmm. PJ Fleck recruited Defense, Whip literally has not recruited an ILB in four years. Pinkham has very little to work with here. We have the ability to shut down either a passing game or running game, we can not defend against a balanced offensive attack. We simply do not have the bodies on that side of the ball. Supposedly, we have a bunch of guys red shirting that will help next year, but that is too late. Jackson Porter is not going to all of a sudden become Deion Sanders because of a new coach.
Agree. Pinkham isn't the problem. They are still undersized and not talented enough.
Raise the bar, do the minimum.

Cahoonaville
Junior

Post by Cahoonaville » Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:58 pm

How bad has UMass football sunk? It's like the sound of crickets around here. Sad, really sad!
FBS Football finally! A dream come true!!!!

TheInsider
Hall of Fame

Post by TheInsider » Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:35 pm

Put it this way.. the teams we have played this year are 2-13 against FBS teams not named Umass...

econalum
Senior

Post by econalum » Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:57 pm

Football should lie low and try to get healthy. I've got 4 of us going to Fenway for Maine, hopefully we are not going to be fielding 3rd stringers by then.
Feeling entitled is JUST a feeling...

TheInsider
Hall of Fame

Post by TheInsider » Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:05 pm

They have a nice 2 week break.. They should be well rested for Georgia southern. They might be worse than Maine. They are terrible against the pass.. if they beat us, whip should be fired before he even reaches the champions center.

photoman
Senior

Post by photoman » Sat Oct 07, 2017 6:34 am

Will GA Southern be the "signature win" we've been waiting for?