Game 5- 2017- Tennessee

Whip'ing the program back into shape.
tdmass
Senior
Posts: 1161
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2006 11:40 am
Location: Ormond Beach,Florida

Re: Game 5- 2017- Tennessee

Post by tdmass » Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:02 pm

If history is an indicator we've played terrible after good SEC performances vs G5 teams and now without Ford & Breneman that will most likely continue!

inthescoop
Hall of Fame
Posts: 2343
Joined: Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:40 pm
Location: NYC

Re: Game 5- 2017- Tennessee

Post by inthescoop » Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:24 pm

Since we went D1, we’ve been very close to beating a top level competitor but we still haven’t, and it hurts. Still waiting to beat a P5 team - would be a great feeling to beat a SEC team. This wasn’t Vanderbilt close but damn it was close. One year, we’ll do it.

User avatar
Refuse2Lose83
Hall of Fame
Posts: 4662
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2008 10:08 pm
Location: Western Mass

Re: Game 5- 2017- Tennessee

Post by Refuse2Lose83 » Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:34 pm

As miserable as this season has been, today was fun to watch. Good to be competitive and do some good things against a decent SEC team.
Hire Matt McCall!

78
Hall of Fame
Posts: 7110
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2003 11:52 pm
Location: Near Boston

Re: Game 5- 2017- Tennessee

Post by 78 » Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:05 pm

tdmass wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:02 pm
If history is an indicator we've played terrible after good SEC performances vs G5 teams and now without Ford & Breneman that will most likely continue!
I could be wrong, but I thought I heard them say Breneman was held out today but could likely play next Saturday.
Bamford has erased McCutcheon

minutefanjsf
Senior
Posts: 1188
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:17 am

Re: Game 5- 2017- Tennessee

Post by minutefanjsf » Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:54 am

Breneman could play next week. As to the defense, they played great. They were put in the right position to play well, too. Adjustments were made and Tennessee inexplicably went to a run first QB, which helped a lot. Once the D's confidence was up, they played even better. As to why they didn't play better earlier in the season, they didn't play team defense. You had guys like Barr trying to do it all in their own. And, they missed assignments. They are also very young/new. They took a while to learn the system at game speed. Holiness not playing early in the season both hurt and helped. It bit young guys experience that is paying off now, but obviously cost us the some points.

ZooMass84
Freshman
Posts: 18
Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:46 pm

Re: Game 5- 2017- Tennessee

Post by ZooMass84 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:04 am

We played amazing and this is the game that FINALLY will give us some confidence. Tennessee is a real team and we stayed with them until the end. We played like wusses in our first few games but we would absolutely steamroll Coastal Carolina and old dominion now. There is no question we will beat Ohio and Georgia southern now. I don't care what the line is on those games. I think we come out super pissed off and defense blows their o line away.

eldonabe
Hall of Fame
Posts: 3928
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2003 4:34 pm
Location: Western MA

Re: Game 5- 2017- Tennessee

Post by eldonabe » Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:36 am

ZooMass84 wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:04 am
We played amazing and this is the game that FINALLY will give us some confidence. Tennessee is a real team and we stayed with them until the end. We played like wusses in our first few games but we would absolutely steamroll Coastal Carolina and old dominion now. There is no question we will beat Ohio and Georgia southern now. I don't care what the line is on those games. I think we come out super pissed off and defense blows their o line away.

Do you and stevemaz get your mail at the same address?
In Matt McCall I trust!

78
Hall of Fame
Posts: 7110
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2003 11:52 pm
Location: Near Boston

Re: Game 5- 2017- Tennessee

Post by 78 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:36 am

^
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Bamford has erased McCutcheon

chapter 11
Junior
Posts: 309
Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2003 5:34 pm
Location: NYC

Re: Game 5- 2017- Tennessee

Post by chapter 11 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:45 pm

During the Jets game on CBS they ran a promo for next weeks Tennessee SEC game. The announcers referenced UMass' strong showing yesterday. MANY WATCHED THE GAME. We may have earned some style points. I also thought the Vols coach would have show us some respect during his on field interview. He didn't. Guess he has his own problems

Bay Area UMie
Freshman
Posts: 61
Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:47 pm
Location: Silicon Valley/Bay Area

Re: Game 5- 2017- Tennessee

Post by Bay Area UMie » Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:09 am

78 wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:45 am
Defense has been great. Offense is pathetic. Without Breneman, Ford is useless.
We have a 21-year old QB/student-athlete representing UMass who has been under intense pass-rush pressure all year. Despite the duress, the kid has managed to complete a respectable 64% of his passes this year (26th nationally for QB’s who have attempted more than 100 throws) and a solid 149 QB efficiency rating (24th nationally for QB’s who have attempted 100 or more throws). Yesterday, without Breneman and against an SEC opponent, the guy puts up similar numbers (65% completion rate and a 149 QB efficiency rating). But, good old Mr. Negative aka “78” harshly characterizes the kid as “useless”. Very nice sir, very nice.

Floyd
Hall of Fame
Posts: 5539
Joined: Sun Apr 06, 2003 8:50 am
Location: Not where I should be

Re: Game 5- 2017- Tennessee

Post by Floyd » Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:58 am

Worked all day Saturday so didn't see or hear any of it, but when I heard the D held them to 17 pts I was impressed. Looks like they're starting to come together. The old UMASS teams were defensively strong, so it would be great to get back there
Nothing worth having is easy to get

stevemaz
Junior
Posts: 426
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:23 am

Re: Game 5- 2017- Tennessee

Post by stevemaz » Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:21 am

Bay Area UMie wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:09 am
78 wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:45 am
Defense has been great. Offense is pathetic. Without Breneman, Ford is useless.
We have a 21-year old QB/student-athlete representing UMass who has been under intense pass-rush pressure all year. Despite the duress, the kid has managed to complete a respectable 64% of his passes this year (26th nationally for QB’s who have attempted more than 100 throws) and a solid 149 QB efficiency rating (24th nationally for QB’s who have attempted 100 or more throws). Yesterday, without Breneman and against an SEC opponent, the guy puts up similar numbers (65% completion rate and a 149 QB efficiency rating). But, good old Mr. Negative aka “78” harshly characterizes the kid as “useless”. Very nice sir, very nice.
Dude, 78 is an asshole.

User avatar
LS71
Hall of Fame
Posts: 5774
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2003 8:55 pm
Location: Lost in Space

Re: Game 5- 2017- Tennessee

Post by LS71 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:51 am

stevemaz wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:21 am
Bay Area UMie wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:09 am
78 wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:45 am
Defense has been great. Offense is pathetic. Without Breneman, Ford is useless.
We have a 21-year old QB/student-athlete representing UMass who has been under intense pass-rush pressure all year. Despite the duress, the kid has managed to complete a respectable 64% of his passes this year (26th nationally for QB’s who have attempted more than 100 throws) and a solid 149 QB efficiency rating (24th nationally for QB’s who have attempted 100 or more throws). Yesterday, without Breneman and against an SEC opponent, the guy puts up similar numbers (65% completion rate and a 149 QB efficiency rating). But, good old Mr. Negative aka “78” harshly characterizes the kid as “useless”. Very nice sir, very nice.
Dude, 78 is an asshole.
Right back at ya....stevemaz!

78 is a long-time supporter of all things UMass....who happens to be a great guy.
"Win without boasting, lose without crying." -- Julius Erving

NilesGold
Hall of Fame
Posts: 7278
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2012 2:00 pm

Re: Game 5- 2017- Tennessee

Post by NilesGold » Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:14 am

^ He might be a great guy, but he sure does come across like an asshole on here quite frequently.

Berkman
Hall of Fame
Posts: 4502
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2005 2:38 pm
Location: Mooresville, NC
Contact:

Re: Game 5- 2017- Tennessee

Post by Berkman » Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:52 am

24/7 has a video that shows TENN actually missing a field goal.Link:

http://247sports.com/Bolt/Did-Tennessee ... -107841313

Post Reply