Pats post mordem.. the real winner is Umass

Whip'ing the program back into shape.
AlPatino
Junior

Re: Pats post mordem.. the real winner is Umass

Post by AlPatino » Sat Sep 16, 2017 5:42 am

NilesGold wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:33 am
^ As long as we're talking 20+ years in the future, UMass in the Big 10 doesn't seem crazy to me. Like Steve has said, UMass as a school, in totlality, is a good fit with the Big 10. The problem is that the football program is in terrible shape right now.
In 20+ years many of us on this board will have undergone the post "mordem".
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans. John Lennon

stevemaz
Junior

Post by stevemaz » Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:44 am

I think at least amongst western Mass sports fans, you would find more of them following UMass football if they started playing better. Especially, when the Pats dynasty finally begins to fall back. The door will be open to get attendance to the 20-25k territory and maybe beyond, which is all this topic is really about.

eldonabe
Hall of Fame

Post by eldonabe » Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:32 am

stevemaz wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:44 am
I think at least amongst western Mass sports fans, you would find more of them following UMass football if they started playing better. Especially, when the Pats dynasty finally begins to fall back.
Dear Captain Obvious, if the Patriots were 0-4 right now and Umass was also 0-4 there would be exactly ZERO extra fans at McGuirk because the pro team was not winning. ZERO. The ONLY thing that will draw people to Umass football games is Umass winning some games. Same goes for BC or any other New England school. This is not some zero sum game, that correlates into not going to a Pats game and automatically going to another game to replace that. It doesn't work that way.

There is no link between umass and patriots fan interest. They don't play the say day, and they barely play the same sport.

you need to turn in your umass diploma - like yesterday.
In Matt McCall I trust!

Hall of Fame

Post by 78 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:30 am

^^^^^^^^^^

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Bamford has erased McCutcheon

krkess
Senior

Post by krkess » Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:20 pm

Floyd wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:13 pm
MajBugman wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:03 am
What's a "post mordem"?
New cereal?
I think that mordem thing gets you hooked up to that there internet. Maybe this kind of mordem gets nailed to a post?

krkess
Senior

Post by krkess » Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:23 pm

eldonabe wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:32 am
stevemaz wrote:
I think at least amongst western Mass sports fans, you would find more of them following UMass football if they started playing better. Especially, when the Pats dynasty finally begins to fall back.

That must be a UMass-Dartmouth degree.

Old Cage
Hall of Fame

Post by Old Cage » Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:29 pm

^ Hey, Swampy - Look who is visiting!
"Jack didn’t have any envy in him," Calipari said. "He was the greatest coach to ever coach here."

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:15 am

^ If we get a visit from the other half I might faint!

stevemaz
Junior

Post by stevemaz » Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:18 am

eldonabe wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:32 am
stevemaz wrote:
Dear Captain Obvious, if the Patriots were 0-4 right now and Umass was also 0-4 there would be exactly ZERO extra fans at McGuirk because the pro team was not winning. ZERO. The ONLY thing that will draw people to Umass football games is Umass winning some games. Same goes for BC or any other New England school. This is not some zero sum game, that correlates into not going to a Pats game and automatically going to another game to replace that. It doesn't work that way.

There is no link between umass and patriots fan interest. They don't play the say day, and they barely play the same sport.

When UMass finally starts winning games and becoming a bit more relevant, it is obvious that fan support will grow and it is even more obvious that they can attract casual fans especially if the Pats dynasty ends. There is limited time these days to watch sports on the weekend and even less time to dedicate to going to games. I for one would always choose a UMass game over a Pats game, but there are not that many WMass fans that would say that. If we are going to get the 25-30K attendance figures we all would like to see, we are going to need to attract casual UMass fans.

On a sidebar, I actually know someone at my other alma mater UGA who has said that with the rise of the Falcons last year there has been a measureable decrease in UGA interest (in their case is took longer and more work to sell out). There is a correlation, even it produces a mere 1-2k extra attendance in our case.

Hall of Fame

Post by 78 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:51 am

25-30K a UMass football games... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :roll:
Bamford has erased McCutcheon

eldonabe
Hall of Fame

Post by eldonabe » Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:48 pm

78 wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:51 am
25-30K a UMass football games... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :roll:
Will it be 2 to a seat?
In Matt McCall I trust!

Swampy
Hall of Fame

Post by Swampy » Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:27 pm

Old Cage wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:29 pm
No sheep in Andover as far as I know they're all still in Athol. Baaaaaaaaa!! :shock:

krkess
Senior

Post by krkess » Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:38 pm

Swampy wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:27 pm
Old Cage wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:29 pm
No sheep in Andover as far as I know they're all still in Athol. Baaaaaaaaa!! :shock:
Time to drain The Swampy
No, the sheep in Athol have left for greener pastures, both Steve81 and BK were making life un-baa-arable.

eldonabe
Hall of Fame

Post by eldonabe » Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:59 am

stevemaz wrote:
When UMass finally starts winning games and becoming a bit more relevant, it is obvious that fan support will grow and it is even more obvious that they can attract casual fans especially if the Pats dynasty ends. There is limited time these days to watch sports on the weekend and even less time to dedicate to going to games. I for one would always choose a UMass game over a Pats game, but there are not that many WMass fans that would say that. If we are going to get the 25-30K attendance figures we all would like to see, we are going to need to attract casual UMass fans.

On a sidebar, I actually know someone at my other alma mater UGA who has said that with the rise of the Falcons last year there has been a measureable decrease in UGA interest (in their case is took longer and more work to sell out). There is a correlation, even it produces a mere 1-2k extra attendance in our case.
Winning and ONLY wining brings interest. In reverse of my 0-4 versus 0-4 scenario, if both teams were 10-0 there would not be less people in Amherst on a Saturday because the Pats are good. The building would be full regardless - not sure what building you are talking about with 25K-30K fans but whatever....

Comparing Georgia and Massachusetts is comparing Apples and Ring Dings. Mass is pro sports 1st, 2nd, and 3rd and will jump on the bandwagon if a college team is good and ONLY if they are good regardless of what that guys that get paid are doing. There is absolutely no correlation that can be drawn here about attendance in relation to how the same sport pro team is performing - NONE.

I get the optimism and your desire to have Umass become a P5/B1G powerhouse, but even the most optimistic Umass person (after you) sees that as a bit delusional. This is and will always be about MONEY - Umass doesn't have it or bring it to the table in any way. They never have and never will. That does not mean that they cannot eventually create a nice niche` for themselves, but even that is still a long way off at this point. Every journey needs to take the 1st step to get started - Basketball has done it IMO with MM, the next 1st step is for football to find the right guy to start the football train - Whip's time has come and now gone. I love the guy for what he has been able to accomplish here, but that was a long time ago. The disclaimer "past results is not an indicator of future performance" seems to ring true around here....
In Matt McCall I trust!

harbo
Senior

Post by harbo » Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:59 am

eldonabe wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:59 am
Comparing Georgia and Massachusetts is comparing Apples and Ring Dings. Mass is pro sports 1st, 2nd, and 3rd and will jump on the bandwagon if a college team is good and ONLY if they are good regardless of what that guys that get paid are doing. There is absolutely no correlation that can be drawn here about attendance in relation to how the same sport pro team is performing - NONE.

I get the optimism and your desire to have Umass become a P5/B1G powerhouse, but even the most optimistic Umass person (after you) sees that as a bit delusional. This is and will always be about MONEY - Umass doesn't have it or bring it to the table in any way. They never have and never will. That does not mean that they cannot eventually create a nice niche` for themselves, but even that is still a long way off at this point. Every journey needs to take the 1st step to get started - Basketball has done it IMO with MM, the next 1st step is for football to find the right guy to start the football train - Whip's time has come and now gone. I love the guy for what he has been able to accomplish here, but that was a long time ago. The disclaimer "past results is not an indicator of future performance" seems to ring true around here....
Agree with much that eldon says. The most important person right now for hopes for "moving up" may be Matt McCall. Make hoops relevant/strong again and we could get looked at by the likes of the Big10. A strong hockey program would also appeal to the Big10, although many would argue that HE is comparable, if not better. And a big-time conference would be good for our strong women's soccer/lacrosse/field hockey programs, keeping them from being the perennial 16-seed come Tourney time.