Re: Game 3: ODU

Post by Floyd » Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:43 pm

What, you can't bring kegs inside the stadium anymore into the stands? :lol:
Nothing worth having is easy to get

UMass02
Senior

Post by UMass02 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:06 pm

UMass needs to average roughly 17,250 fans over the next four games to avoid double secret probation. Hope the Fenway game gets them in.

njumass08
Hall of Fame

Post by njumass08 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:15 pm

^ my understanding is we changed some numbers last season to make our average 15,000 last year. So we are fine. At least I hope my source was right.
"I just believe in being positive." - Mark Whipple

Hall of Fame

Post by 78 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:01 pm

There is no way in hell there were 3,000 students at the game.
Bamford has erased McCutcheon

MJatUM
Hall of Fame

Post by MJatUM » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:31 pm

njumass08 wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:11 pm

The UMass Police and Amherst Cops are terrible. Absolutely terrible.
I have not had any interaction with them in years but if they are anything like they used to be it's a bunch of tough guys who like to make sure you know who is in charge. There are certainly scenarios where this is necessary but 45 minutes before kickoff is unacceptable.

I doubt there is much the athletic department can do about it except maybe try to police it themselves in the future.

econalum
Senior

Post by econalum » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:32 pm

78 wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:01 pm
There is no way in hell there were 3,000 students at the game.
Could not have been that many there, agreed. And let's face it, like Facebook, if only 40 something+'s are going to 'post' on f.b., (i.e., go the games) in any numbers, students are gonna skedaddle and not be seen. Hence, we now have Instagram and Snapchat as subs for Facebook. The marketing question is: how do the students spend their 'leisure time', and can football regain their interest?

We'll see what I find out tomorrow - my guess on their reasons: 'I work to pay for school', 'too far' to walk, 'went home to visit', 'studying when library is uncrowded', and 'football is not a thing' at UMASS. My 'focus group' of 23 will yield some thoughts. Directional, not definitive.

Last, it will get worse. Pop Warner and Youth football, in general, are in dramatic decline in MA, and nationally. Flag football until high school seems to be the prevailing way forward.

Fear of concussions/long term brain impairment are real, and taking kids out of the game. Moms matter.

In the knowledge based economy of tomorrow, no one wants to risk their child's brain. And there is NOTHING encouraging about what is coming out of neurology and 'brain science' on this topic. I have a colleague who is expert on this neuro-psychology aspect.

In the end, UM football is reaching for the veritable "Bridge too Far", like Remagen in WW2.

I'll report what I hear, unedited.
Feeling entitled is JUST a feeling...

MJatUM
Hall of Fame

Post by MJatUM » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:36 pm

I look forward to hearing your findings. I also ask for a follow up question: if the football team was 2-0 and your friends wanted to go to the game, would you still have done 'xyz' instead? There are some that football just is never going to be a priority for and that's ok, we don't need them. We need the people on the fence and I believe winning brings you 80%+ of those people.

UMass87
Hall of Fame

Post by UMass87 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:09 pm

80% of a small number is still a small number.

econalum
Senior

Post by econalum » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:54 pm

UMass87 wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:09 pm
23 people from one major - economics - can only be viewed as descriptive, not definitive, and not representative of the entire undergrad. population of UM. We'll see what we hear. FWIW. But at least I am in direct contact with the 'average undergrad in the classroom' in one major.

Econ
Feeling entitled is JUST a feeling...

Bay Area UMie
Freshman

Post by Bay Area UMie » Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:54 am

MJatUM wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:30 pm
Just fucking win games. Nobody wants to come watch a lifeless team get their dicks kicked in every week. It is really that simple folks.
Your advanced levels of articulation and erudition serve as an inspirational achievement to all UMass grads-a huge thank you to guys like you who represent the University so well after graduation and enhance the public’s perception of UMass graduates!

Bay Area UMie
Freshman

Post by Bay Area UMie » Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:47 am

econalum wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:54 pm
UMass87 wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:09 pm
23 people from one major - economics - can only be viewed as descriptive, not definitive, and not representative of the entire undergrad. population of UM. We'll see what we hear. FWIW. But at least I am in direct contact with the 'average undergrad in the classroom' in one major.

Econ
Your laughable comments reveal your total ignorance of marketing research practices, random sampling methods, the field of inferential statistics and the conceptual meaning of ”statistical significance”. The technique and results you amateurishly refer to as “descriptive” are known in the statistical world as “qualitative” methods and qualitative findings (if the research is implemented properly) are at best “directional” in nature (without probabilistic uncertainty levels/confidence intervals assigned to them).

In your case, the qualitative methodology including sample selection is total rubbish (you haven’t applied random recruiting methods to ensure your sample is in fact a sub-population of “average” UMass students as you claim, you are dedicating (I am guessing) an inadequate 15-20 minutes to probe the athletic issues, I can go on and on how ridiculous your proposal and methods are). Only a charlatan or incompetent (in your case I believe you are both) would come on this board and try to convince people that you have some meaningful insights to share after a brief session with a self-selected group of students. Bottom line, don’t waste your time or readers precious time posting your ridiculous conclusions on this board-in the research world (private industry and academic) meaningless data/results is referred to as “noise” in your case it is one step lower ie “total rubbish”.

Last week you fired the first shot claiming I was “an embarrassment to UMass”. Well, coming right back at ya with some of your own snide, nasty medicine-you tell me who the embarrassment is now?

My apologies to the 90% of posters who come on this board everyday with solid facts, well-reasoned arguments and a deep passion for UMass Athletics. I consider it a pleasure and enjoy reading your posts. Unfortunately, there are 5 or 6 posters in this community who get personal, have a snide edge to their posts and don’t understand the concept of equanimity. This jerk-off (yes,this violates the code of equanimity but I was born and brought up in South Boston and was taught to come back hard after someone threw the first punch) is one of them.

UMass02
Senior

Post by UMass02 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:11 am

Bay Area's statements about statistics and sampling are quite correct.

inthescoop
Hall of Fame

Post by inthescoop » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:40 am

njumass08 wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:11 pm
So, first off I'm alive, second I'm completely pissed about how things are going. It's unacceptable.

Regarding the students being kicked out of the tailgate 45 minutes before game time, I went over to the cops who were telling the students to leave and told them I was informed the students could tailgate until kickoff and they responded that their commanding officer gets to decide how long the students can tailgate. That's total horseshit and the Athletic Department needs to set the cops straight. I know the athletic department has worked hard to get the students into the games and I doubt they OK'd the cops telling the students to leave 45 mins before kickoff.

The UMass Police and Amherst Cops are terrible. Absolutely terrible.
Ah good ol' Amherst Cops. I remember once they pepper sprayed my friend for holding a beer, and has his hands up to show he was doing nothing. Took them to court, and they said the cop who pepper sprayed him has PTSD and it happens all the time. Got rid of the case and moved on like it was a regular thing.

Berkman
Hall of Fame

Post by Berkman » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:31 am

I could see the cops going in say 15 min after the kickoff but not before. AD needs to get the cops to do this. Can't get students to the games and then you chase them away early. Ridiculous.

SignMan
Hall of Fame

Post by SignMan » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:49 am

more L's & a bad weather day @ McGuirk will make for an interesting Attendance #.

(Maybe they can rent a slew of cardboard people fans the movies use for backdrops).
the best part of being Sign Man
is ... being Mrs. Sign Man's other half.