Game 3: ODU

Whip'ing the program back into shape.
Old Cage
Hall of Fame

Re: Game 3: ODU

Post by Old Cage » Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:09 pm

Hundreds of them streamed by our tailgate carrying plates of food back to campus. They didn't go to the game, and it appeared they didn't get to eat.
"Jack didn’t have any envy in him," Calipari said. "He was the greatest coach to ever coach here."

NilesGold
Hall of Fame

Post by NilesGold » Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:25 pm

Cahoonaville wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:03 pm
Why would you tell students to exit tailgating 45 minutes prior to kickoff? Who the hell thought of that Bamford?...or are you to busy praising Georgia Tech football again!
I don't know why that was done, maybe it was their misguided attempt to encourage the students to go into the stadium. Regardless, I'm going to take a wild guess and say that they had no intention of ever going to the game, regardless of when their tailgating ended.

I'm also not sure what that has to do with Bamford praising GT football.

econalum
Senior

Post by econalum » Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:39 pm

UMASS alienated a lot of upper level students with needing to dedicate about 7 or 8 hours to the commute and drive to/from Foxboro, even if the game was terrible. There is little or no student interest in our football, and there were a lot of more compelling games on TV yesterday, at higher skill levels, at the same time.

As I have previously mentioned even some SEC schools have the student dipping into the pre-game food, then leaving. Students are so self-involved many stadiums upgraded their WIFI networks, so the selfies can be posted faster to Instagram. But are they watching, or just wanting to 'be seen'.

As far as that 45 minute early leaving issue, it has got to be about limiting alcohol consumption - dumb.

To have 'only about 9k show up on a perfect day tells you a lot about the state of things. Attendance has actually shrunk since our FCS days. There was always a 5k or so swing upwards for beautiful days. That is now gone.

I'll be teaching a class Tuesday at UMASS - I'll have a chance to chat with students on this whole issue of disengagement from UMASS sports.
Feeling entitled is JUST a feeling...

TruBluMaroon
Senior

Post by TruBluMaroon » Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:50 pm

^ The disconnect starts in HS. Students don't go to HS games anymore at the majority of high schools. Even the formerly dependable fellow athletes don't go to games. So the students don't have a history of going to football games! The good thing about changing a college culture is that it doesn't take very long. Freshman start going for three years in a row and all of a sudden you have the whole student body going! "They will come Ray" Admissions just needs to start admitting the right kids!

inthescoop
Hall of Fame

Post by inthescoop » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:17 am

I will say, with our schedule, I am definitely surprised that we started the season 0-3. OUCH!

UMass87
Hall of Fame

Post by UMass87 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:13 am

TruBluMaroon wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:50 pm
^ The disconnect starts in HS. Students don't go to HS games anymore at the majority of high schools. Even the formerly dependable fellow athletes don't go to games. So the students don't have a history of going to football games! The good thing about changing a college culture is that it doesn't take very long. Freshman start going for three years in a row and all of a sudden you have the whole student body going! "They will come Ray" Admissions just needs to start admitting the right kids!
I don't mean this as a knock on you personally but I think this is representative of what I find delusional about us as UMass football fans. W live in a bubble of our fanaticism. There is essentially no way in the immediate future (two or three years) for UMass to change the football culture for students. The lack of a conference affiliation and the prospect of affiliation with a non-P5 conference means that UMass students will always see UMass football as, at best, a second-tier competitor. This is why the basketball comparison is stupid. UMass basketball could win 15 straight and be ranked in the top 25. UMass football could win eight straight and wouldn't crack the top 10. There is almost no scenario other than an undefeated season where UMass attracts significant student fans.

The reality is that younger people are not into watching sports. I blame professional sport for this: they made it very difficult for average families to go to games with any regularity. I have two teenage boys who play high school sports and neither of them has much interest in watching any sports (other than those in which their friends are playing). Their attitude is common among their peers. As Econalum pointed out, colleges and universities in college football hotbeds are seeing a decline in student enthusiasm. UMass started from a position of weakness and has little opportunity to improve it.

Rolling Ridge
Sophomore

Post by Rolling Ridge » Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:31 pm

UMass87 wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:13 am
...I think this is representative of what I find delusional about us as UMass football fans. W live in a bubble of our fanaticism. There is essentially no way in the immediate future (two or three years) for UMass to change the football culture for students. The lack of a conference affiliation and the prospect of affiliation with a non-P5 conference means that UMass students will always see UMass football as, at best, a second-tier competitor.
I agree, a change of student culture toward football in 2-3 years is overly optimistic. But I don't think that kind of timetable or result is really representative of a lot of fans' perspectives here. Most see winning as a path to greater attendance and interest, and a starting point toward building a football culture at UMass among students.

What our short-term/longer term ceiling is on that, nobody really knows. But I'm optimistic that attendance would be improved with a team that wins more games, and that improvement would cut across a number of demographics. I'm not really that concerned with trends away from watching football/sports. I see upside potential for attendance despite that, with a winning program. If the wins start coming for a reasonably protracted period of time and there's no appreciable change in attendance, then I'll consider myself proven wrong. But until we have that experience, I continue to believe that we could have a larger, stable audience for UMass football, despite the acknowledged obstacles the program faces.

But it's a moot conversation without wins, which is why the current situation is so frustrating and demoralizing.

TruBluMaroon
Senior

Post by TruBluMaroon » Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:59 pm

UMass87 wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:13 am
TruBluMaroon wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:50 pm
I don't mean this as a knock on you personally but I think this is representative of what I find delusional about us as UMass football fans. W live in a bubble of our fanaticism. There is essentially no way in the immediate future (two or three years) for UMass to change the football culture for students. The lack of a conference affiliation and the prospect of affiliation with a non-P5 conference means that UMass students will always see UMass football as, at best, a second-tier competitor. This is why the basketball comparison is stupid. UMass basketball could win 15 straight and be ranked in the top 25. UMass football could win eight straight and wouldn't crack the top 10. There is almost no scenario other than an undefeated season where UMass attracts significant student fans.

The reality is that younger people are not into watching sports. I blame professional sport for this: they made it very difficult for average families to go to games with any regularity. I have two teenage boys who play high school sports and neither of them has much interest in watching any sports (other than those in which their friends are playing). Their attitude is common among their peers. As Econalum pointed out, colleges and universities in college football hotbeds are seeing a decline in student enthusiasm. UMass started from a position of weakness and has little opportunity to improve it.
The vast majority of UM students (+85%) have no idea of levels of competition in college sports. Don't brand me a sexist, but how many female students have any idea UM what level UM is at in any sport. The male students also have no clue. They go to the games because their friends do, or the people on the floor go or its the thing to do. The relative level of competition has almost no significance in their decision. By the way, we shouldn't care why they come....as long as they come.

UMass87
Hall of Fame

Post by UMass87 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:21 pm

^ I'll buy that. A good marketing campaign is more likely to work than a good football team. I'd rather a good football team, though.

MJatUM
Hall of Fame

Post by MJatUM » Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:30 pm

Just fucking win games. Nobody wants to come watch a lifeless team get their dicks kicked in every week. It is really that simple folks.

Hall of Fame

Post by 78 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:34 pm

Incredible stat from the Fight Massachusetts blog:

The Minutemen allowed eight sacks and another 12 tackles for loss against ODU. That's 20 plays where UMass lost yardage, nearly 25% of their plays from scrimmage on the day, a staggering number.
Bamford has erased McCutcheon

classof60
Sophomore

Post by classof60 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:07 pm

As an old-timer, all I can say is the athletic program is awful.....football, lacrosse, basketball, hockey etc....just not competitive...I still like to come up once a year from the Cape for a game, but my enthusiasm is waning...thinking back 20+ years ago before I retired and would have season tickets for hoops and dealt with the ride and weather....sad

vanmeter
Senior

Post by vanmeter » Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:33 pm

It's all about winning.

Guarantee if we had started off 2-0 the crowd would have been significantly larger.

Hiring Whipple (although I was significantly for it) turned out to be a big mistake.
I think the fact that Bamford received a 2 year extension shows the school is committed to FBS football.

njumass08
Hall of Fame

Post by njumass08 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:11 pm

So, first off I'm alive, second I'm completely pissed about how things are going. It's unacceptable.

Regarding the students being kicked out of the tailgate 45 minutes before game time, I went over to the cops who were telling the students to leave and told them I was informed the students could tailgate until kickoff and they responded that their commanding officer gets to decide how long the students can tailgate. That's total horseshit and the Athletic Department needs to set the cops straight. I know the athletic department has worked hard to get the students into the games and I doubt they OK'd the cops telling the students to leave 45 mins before kickoff.

The UMass Police and Amherst Cops are terrible. Absolutely terrible.
"I just believe in being positive." - Mark Whipple

UMass02
Senior

Post by UMass02 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:41 pm

I heard the cops give the dispersal order. It was half "welcome back" and half "get lost." If I experienced that as a student, not only would I go back to the dorms, but I would likely not go into the game in the future. I understand that UMPD is trying to exert control, but they undermined efforts by the Athletic department. A member of the Athletics administration and the police chief need to sit down and review what occurred Saturday so that it doesn't happen again. Then again, maybe the cops are realistic and know those students will never go into the game, so they acted accordingly.

I do know that students not going to games or tailgating and leaving is a nationwide problem. If I'm an athletic advancement employee or athletic marketing employee at a college, I'd be really alarmed. The next crop of potential donors aren't engaged with your product - good luck getting them to open their wallets. I foresee fundraising and funding issues at athletic departments across the country as the current crop of donors cease to donate.

Hawaii had over 12k with a handful of students on a pleasant day. ODU had 9k with maybe 1-2k (generous count) of students, also on a pleasant day. Think about that - the paid attendance really swung down about 4k to 5k. I'm sure much of that loss revolves around the performance of the team, but how much of that loss is self-inflicted? How many walk-up fans were pissed off at the parking fee and game-day ticket surcharge? At the rate, attendance at the App State game will be in a crap state.

Edit: Bamford tweeted there were 3k students. So that means the roughly 12k paying fans for Hawaii got whittled down to 6k paying fans for ODU. Yikes.
Last edited by UMass02 on Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.