Game 3: ODU

Whip'ing the program back into shape.
Jackman
Senior

Re: Game 3: ODU

Post by Jackman » Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:55 pm

Admirable effort by the defense after last week's fiasco. We can pin some of that on ODU having some issues in QB decision making, but the D played hard and kept us in it, and when they gave up big plays, it was largely a matter of the scheme leaving big openings to exploit.

As for the offense, it's very simple: Comis has to be the QB. I don't say that because I saw anything that inspired confidence -- far from it -- but because we have to have a scrambler at QB because our offensive line has decided that it isn't blocking anybody this year. There just isn't any other choice. I like what I've seen from Ford when has a pocket to throw from, but that's not happening often enough. Won't be happening against Temple next week either. They've got a decent enough defensive line to overpower our OL again, but also have their own deficiencies on offense, so it could be a very similar game to this one. I think we should go in assuming that we're not blocking anybody again and do what we can to scheme around it.

Also, I think the exchange with Marquis Young is slower than it needs to be. The exchange with Ally looked faster, and that may explain his effectiveness (4.9 yards per carry vs. 1.9 for Marquis). I think maybe the idea here was to give Marquis an extra step to look at how the holes are developing before he picks a direction and goes, but (spoiler alert) there aren't going to be any holes in 2017, so just go ahead and run as fast as you can from the moment the ball is snapped. The frequency with which Marquis is hit in the backfield means we don't have that half-second to spare to read the defense.

If we can somehow put together an effective gameplan that asks as little as possible from the offensive line (not an easy task), and get a similar performance from the defense, I think we can actually beat Temple. But Whip has to learn from this. We can't keep doing what we've been doing. The OL isn't even close to executing at the level our playbook needs.

photoman
Senior

Post by photoman » Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:42 am

Not a three ring circus perhaps, but the basketball intro press conference where the coach bolted out the back door was an entertaining opening act.

UMass02
Senior

Post by UMass02 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:37 am

Scaramucci guaranteed UMass a win. I feel betrayed. So do the 9,000 people at McGuirk yesterday.

Does anyone want to start a pool for guessing attendance at the App State game? Price is Right rules of course.

LS71
Hall of Fame

Post by LS71 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:29 am

Though Mr. Whipper may feel otherwise, It may be time for Bamford to squeeze the Charmin.
"Win without boasting, lose without crying." -- Julius Erving

wmmmfan
Junior

Post by wmmmfan » Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:51 am

This program is suffering from Groundhog Day syndrome. How many seasons can we have where one game the O will score 35 points only for the D to give up 38. Then the D plays well giving up only 17 points but the O is replaced by Amherst HS and scores 7. Only thing missing is Bill Murray.

When is someone going to step up and become a leader on this team? Where is the show of disgust when walking off the field we saw for years if we lost? Has losing become acceptable?

As for the future, the university needs to make a decision if they are going to support this program to compete at this level. I know we have a beautiful football center but so do many FCS programs now and some of those have real stadiums too. We are 6 years into this and I have not seen any type of formal Master Plan on how this program is going to be built for the future. We are on a year to year play as you go no plan plan. Where is the formal fundraising for this program? Specific fund raising for a stadium, coaching position endowments, practice bubble, etc like universities who are committed at this level. Why have we not seen this? Are they waiting for a conference to invite them in first? If that's the case they will never see an invitation because strong conferences want to see a university's commitment first. Time to shit or get off the pot.

What really concerns me is there is so little support for athletics the university doesn't want to do something formal and the lack of support by alumni, fans and state is finally confirmed.

minutefanjsf
Senior

Post by minutefanjsf » Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:16 am

wmmmfan wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:51 am
This program is suffering from Groundhog Day syndrome. How many seasons can we have where one game the O will score 35 points only for the D to give up 38. Then the D plays well giving up only 17 points but the O is replaced by Amherst HS and scores 7. Only thing missing is Bill Murray.

When is someone going to step up and become a leader on this team? Where is the show of disgust when walking off the field we saw for years if we lost? Has losing become acceptable?

As for the future, the university needs to make a decision if they are going to support this program to compete at this level. I know we have a beautiful football center but so do many FCS programs now and some of those have real stadiums too. We are 6 years into this and I have not seen any type of formal Master Plan on how this program is going to be built for the future. We are on a year to year play as you go no plan plan. Where is the formal fundraising for this program? Specific fund raising for a stadium, coaching position endowments, practice bubble, etc like universities who are committed at this level. Why have we not seen this? Are they waiting for a conference to invite them in first? If that's the case they will never see an invitation because strong conferences want to see a university's commitment first. Time to shit or get off the pot.

What really concerns me is there is so little support for athletics the university doesn't want to do something formal and the lack of support by alumni, fans and state is finally confirmed.
The Gridiron club is the formal fundraising for the football team. That’s what we have.

NilesGold
Hall of Fame

Post by NilesGold » Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:19 am

wmmmfan wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:51 am
We are 6 years into this and I have not seen any type of formal Master Plan on how this program is going to be built for the future. We are on a year to year play as you go no plan plan. Where is the formal fundraising for this program? Specific fund raising for a stadium, coaching position endowments, practice bubble, etc like universities who are committed at this level. Why have we not seen this? Are they waiting for a conference to invite them in first? If that's the case they will never see an invitation because strong conferences want to see a university's commitment first. Time to shit or get off the pot.
Many of these things have been addressed/discussed by Bamford.

Jack
Senior

Post by Jack » Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:49 am

OL cannot block sufficiently for the Offense to execute. Ford consistently makes poor decisions. Defense looked pretty good. Hopefully they get things straightened out and beat Temple.

wmmmfan
Junior

Post by wmmmfan » Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:56 am

Niles
Agree, they've been discussed but they have done nothing to move things forward. I heard Bamford say we need 17K a game before we'll need a new stadium but no conference is going to accept that. That's my concern there has been no real commitment by the university from day one, how can they expect anyone to take this seriously.

I'm not saying just go out and build a stadium, or raise salaries but if the administration won't provide some concrete evidence they support this move how can you expect the casual fan to buy in and that is who the University needs to convince. The die hards buy tickets to multiple sports, donate, show up in down years, we are the foundation, it's time to build onto that base.

I'll stop bitching, just frustrating watching this entire program flounder.

tdmass
Senior

Post by tdmass » Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:16 am

To me it is a crying shame that Whip is in his fourth year and the OL is worse than ever! Shame on him for not addressing this and it just proves to me that he has given up! His pressers also show this where he says the same ol same ol "We didn't make a play or we needed one more play"! The AD who I believe is already "in the process" of finding his replacement will let him go peacefully with a resignation at seasons end. In this year already he had to replace Kellogg and the Hockey and Women's BB coaches the year before, give him time but I am convinced he is on it!

R&G
Junior

Post by R&G » Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:34 am

If your offensive line sucks, aren't you supposed to call screen passes and draws occasionally to keep the rushers on their heels?

minutefanjsf
Senior

Post by minutefanjsf » Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:55 am

R&G wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:34 am
If your offensive line sucks, aren't you supposed to call screen passes and draws occasionally to keep the rushers on their heels?
We tried some screen passes this week. baby steps! We also had our running back next to or in front of the blockers when he caught the ball on those screens.

Cahoonaville
Junior

Post by Cahoonaville » Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:04 pm

How can a division one college offensive line be that bad? This line is GARBAGE!
FBS Football finally! A dream come true!!!!

TruBluMaroon
Senior

Post by TruBluMaroon » Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:17 pm

R&G wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:34 am
AF does not think (react) quickly enough to successfully execute screen passes or draws.

Cahoonaville
Junior

Post by Cahoonaville » Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:03 pm

Why would you tell students to exit tailgating 45 minutes prior to kickoff? Who the hell thought of that Bamford?...or are you to busy praising Georgia Tech football again!
FBS Football finally! A dream come true!!!!