Game 4 (2017) Temple

Whip'ing the program back into shape.
inthescoop
Hall of Fame
Posts: 2418
Joined: Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:40 pm
Location: NYC

Re: Game 4 (2017) Temple

Post by inthescoop » Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:27 pm

Speaking of field goals, a bit off-topic, but I want to mention it.

Penn State up 56-0 against Georgia Southern. GSU brings in their kicker for a last minute field goal and the Penn State coach calls a time out right before the kick to ice the kicker, and then he missed the second attempt. Some of the worst, or worst sportsmanship, I have seen in a long time. Cold blooded. Penn State fans will support the call though because ya know, they've supported a lot worse in the past, as we know.

User avatar
UMass02
Senior
Posts: 1134
Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2003 8:14 am

Re: Game 4 (2017) Temple

Post by UMass02 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:08 pm

MJatUM wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:46 am

Portnoy had a VERY public feud with UMass several years ago. As popular as Barstool is with college age students and athletes I would not be surprised if Bamford extended an olive branch. Barstool also has a VERY heavy influence in New England (Boston/MA in particular). There is absolutely zero doubt in my mind that if Bamford (more likely Amherst & UMass PD) allowed Barstool to have a tailgating event at a home game it would be our highest attended game of the season.
Excellent point about the tailgate. I also wonder if that is in the works. It would make perfect sense after seeing what transpired on social media. Athletics obviously has the space for these guys to do whatever. After seeing paid attendance swing from 12k to 6k this season, Pandiani and Bamford have intense pressure to do something to counter that. Perhaps this is one of the things that have covertly brewing?

User avatar
Marshmont_63
Senior
Posts: 1055
Joined: Sat Feb 22, 2014 3:56 pm
Location: Chestnut Hill

Re: Game 4 (2017) Temple

Post by Marshmont_63 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:53 pm

inthescoop wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:27 pm
Speaking of field goals, a bit off-topic, but I want to mention it.

Penn State up 56-0 against Georgia Southern. GSU brings in their kicker for a last minute field goal and the Penn State coach calls a time out right before the kick to ice the kicker, and then he missed the second attempt. Some of the worst, or worst sportsmanship, I have seen in a long time. Cold blooded. Penn State fans will support the call though because ya know, they've supported a lot worse in the past, as we know.
Mike Francesa agrees with you
https://deadspin.com/mike-francesa-goes ... 1818542870
“When people come to our building we want them to feel the house of P.A.I.N.” -- Chaz Williams

TruBluMaroon
Senior
Posts: 1563
Joined: Wed Apr 23, 2003 11:25 am

Re: Game 4 (2017) Temple

Post by TruBluMaroon » Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:44 pm

inthescoop wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:27 pm
Speaking of field goals, a bit off-topic, but I want to mention it.

Penn State up 56-0 against Georgia Southern. GSU brings in their kicker for a last minute field goal and the Penn State coach calls a time out right before the kick to ice the kicker, and then he missed the second attempt. Some of the worst, or worst sportsmanship, I have seen in a long time. Cold blooded. Penn State fans will support the call though because ya know, they've supported a lot worse in the past, as we know.
Just a thought.......why do you try a field goal when you are down by 56?

minutefanjsf
Senior
Posts: 1257
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:17 am

Re: Game 4 (2017) Temple

Post by minutefanjsf » Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:51 pm

TruBluMaroon wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:44 pm
inthescoop wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:27 pm
Speaking of field goals, a bit off-topic, but I want to mention it.

Penn State up 56-0 against Georgia Southern. GSU brings in their kicker for a last minute field goal and the Penn State coach calls a time out right before the kick to ice the kicker, and then he missed the second attempt. Some of the worst, or worst sportsmanship, I have seen in a long time. Cold blooded. Penn State fans will support the call though because ya know, they've supported a lot worse in the past, as we know.
Just a thought.......why do you try a field goal when you are down by 56?
Practice in a real game setting? I'm sure Georgia southern doesn't see a FG rush like Penn State often, either.

TruBluMaroon
Senior
Posts: 1563
Joined: Wed Apr 23, 2003 11:25 am

Re: Game 4 (2017) Temple

Post by TruBluMaroon » Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:57 pm

minutefanjsf wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:51 pm
TruBluMaroon wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:44 pm
inthescoop wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:27 pm
Speaking of field goals, a bit off-topic, but I want to mention it.

Penn State up 56-0 against Georgia Southern. GSU brings in their kicker for a last minute field goal and the Penn State coach calls a time out right before the kick to ice the kicker, and then he missed the second attempt. Some of the worst, or worst sportsmanship, I have seen in a long time. Cold blooded. Penn State fans will support the call though because ya know, they've supported a lot worse in the past, as we know.
Just a thought.......why do you try a field goal when you are down by 56?
Practice in a real game setting? I'm sure Georgia southern doesn't see a FG rush like Penn State often, either.
But all of the controversy revolves around calling a time out and rushing the kicker. Aren't both of those "real game" situations?......If Georgia Southern was close enough to try a field goal, why didn't they go for a touchdown?

minutefanjsf
Senior
Posts: 1257
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:17 am

Re: Game 4 (2017) Temple

Post by minutefanjsf » Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:29 pm

TruBluMaroon wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:57 pm
minutefanjsf wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:51 pm
TruBluMaroon wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:44 pm

Just a thought.......why do you try a field goal when you are down by 56?
Practice in a real game setting? I'm sure Georgia southern doesn't see a FG rush like Penn State often, either.
But all of the controversy revolves around calling a time out and rushing the kicker. Aren't both of those "real game" situations?......If Georgia Southern was close enough to try a field goal, why didn't they go for a touchdown?
The two ideas are not mutually exclusive, I get it. One is about sportmanship the other is about coaching and maybe it all comes down to the idea that one wanted a shut out and the other didn't want to be shut out and it has nothing to do with anything else.

User avatar
Old Cage
Hall of Fame
Posts: 5235
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2003 8:49 pm
Location: The Eastern Provinces

Re: Game 4 (2017) Temple

Post by Old Cage » Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:30 pm

^^ Coaches really, really don't want to get shut out. He probably thought that the field goal was the best chance to get on the board.
"Jack didn’t have any envy in him," Calipari said. "He was the greatest coach to ever coach here."

User avatar
MJatUM
Hall of Fame
Posts: 3728
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:46 pm
Location: Attleboro

Re: Game 4 (2017) Temple

Post by MJatUM » Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:33 pm

I remember something similar from '07 when the Pats were blowing out (I believe) Washington. They were up by like 50 and Belichick went for it on 4th down and his response was along the lines of what am I supposed to do? Kick a field goal?

There are 2 sides to the coin. I completely see Penn States side saying why the hell are they kicking a field goal down by 56. That being said it is still a chump move to ice the kicker.

User avatar
rsox1221
Senior
Posts: 1225
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:37 am
Location: Shrewsbury via Southborough
Contact:

Re: Game 4 (2017) Temple

Post by rsox1221 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:13 pm

MJatUM wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:33 pm
I remember something similar from '07 when the Pats were blowing out (I believe) Washington. They were up by like 50 and Belichick went for it on 4th down and his response was along the lines of what am I supposed to do? Kick a field goal?

There are 2 sides to the coin. I completely see Penn States side saying why the hell are they kicking a field goal down by 56. That being said it is still a chump move to ice the kicker.
The Patriots example isn't totally comparable to Georgia St/Penn St. What Belichick did then, and continues to do in similar situations, is go for it on 4th down. His point is that stopping to kick a field goal is basically ensuring you put points on the board, and that that is in fact "running up the score." If you keep playing, you give the defense a chance to stop you and get the ball back. If they can't do that, you may end up scoring a TD, but you gave the other team a chance to turn the ball over on downs.

People who don't like Belichick point to the TDs in those situations as the "running up" where Belichick's point is that the higher-percentage scoring play, the field goal, is ACTUALLY running up the score.

To whomever asked, Georgia State lined up for that field goal to not get shut out. That is the only reason.

Penn State wants to shut an opponent out, Georgia State wants to try and avoid that.

That said, with :11 seconds left and up 56-0, if you're Penn St, you just let the situation play out, and whatever happens happens. You don't ice the kicker. Not only that, James Franklin had the balls to say in the media that his fourth team didn't practice FG blocks and that was why he called the TO, to make sure they knew what they were doing.

If he had just owned up to the fact that he didn't want to lose the shutout and that's why he called the TO, it would be a dick move but at least he would be being honest about it. It's the BS storytelling on top of the act itself that makes it absurd.

inthescoop
Hall of Fame
Posts: 2418
Joined: Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:40 pm
Location: NYC

Re: Game 4 (2017) Temple

Post by inthescoop » Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:29 pm

^Agreed

Post Reply