Hall of Fame

Re: Game 2 (2017) Coastal Carolina

Post by mdogt12 » Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:53 pm

Mark Anderson, PGA‏
@MarkAndersonPGA
Follow
More
Replying to @UMassADBamford
KState tweeted out ESPN is having nationwide broadband issues and it's not just one game that isn't streaming.
ESPN 3 was up and down everywhere last night

palm14
Sophomore

Post by palm14 » Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:00 pm

I will always believe, no matter what happens, that UMass can work at the FBS level with a slightly improved McGuirk - not the pressbox and football building but actual stadium improvements - and of course a conference [preferably one with schools like UConn and Temple]. But I can't deny we might be blowing our chance at it. That said, I hope the people calling for dropping the program all together don't really mean it. It would be terrible for UMass Football to die.

I think a coaching change is needed but I don't see it happening until the end of the season. For that reason I'm just going to get behind the team and hope for the best. Will I be let down? Probably. I'm happy I get the chance to support the team in-person at Temple in two weeks. I know many would laugh at being excited to see this team but I'll always support UMass in all areas athletic and otherwise.

While there's still winnable games on the schedule we need to support the players and then bitch afterwards if necessary. As someone not able to get to Amherst for games I hope the people that can and are saying they won't go next week change their minds. Our diehards - the few there are - willingly skipping games won't help anything. Let's still try to get 4 wins and then make a change. Go UMass.

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:15 pm

Anyone calling for the program to "die" or even move down should have their association with UMass revoked.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

Cahoonaville
Senior

Post by Cahoonaville » Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:19 pm

What the hell did we as fans do in life to deserve this shit show known as UMass football? On a side note, WEEI wants to inform us on what Jackie Bradley Jr. had for breakfast yesterday....really?
Alex Guerrero, my HERO!!!!

m626t
Hall of Fame

Post by m626t » Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:32 pm

There is no question that the listeners of WEEI, as a whole, are more interested in what a member of the Crimson Hose had for breakfast, than UMass sports in general, and UMass football in particular.
All due respect, and I mean that from the bottom of my heart, I'm gonna pass.

NilesGold
Hall of Fame

Post by NilesGold » Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:35 pm

InnervisionsUMASS wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:15 pm Anyone calling for the program to "die" or even move down should have their association with UMass revoked.
I personally think FBS fball can work here, but it requires a greater investment in many things, coaching being the most pressing of them. However one should be able to acknowledge that freeing up resources by disbanding the fball program might actually benefit other UMass athletic programs and UMass on the whole.

MajBugman
Senior

Post by MajBugman » Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:46 pm

78 wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:51 pm
stevemaz wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:38 pm78=Doosh
Translation, we aren't winning 8 games this year, and the Big Ten is never calling on UMass to join the conference.
What's a doosh?
Raise the bar, do the minimum.

UMass87
Hall of Fame

Post by UMass87 » Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:08 pm

College football fans around the country think that UMass football is a joke. Most of them haven't seen McGuirk (and certainly haven't been in it). If they have seen McGuirk then they think UMass football is a pathetic joke. That any decent HS football player comes to UMass is a huge credit to the coaches.

DEM
Senior

Post by DEM » Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:53 pm

^
To be fair, both our hockey and basketball programs in past years could also (unfortunately) be described as "a joke", as you like to say. And the solution to this might be similar to that of those other sports.
Dickie Dunn wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:48 pm Oddly enough, it seems the offense took a big step back from Year 1 to 2 when Sifrin didn't come back. There was no excuse for a team with Frohnapfel, Sharpe, Young and others to underachieve the way they did in 2015. I started to see the signs back then, but hoped the program would continue to grow out of it. Unfortunately it sure doesn't appear to be.

There is no going back to FCS, so let's forget that idea. That's a reason why you no longer see football at BU and Northeastern. Idaho is not a school we should be emulating. But a change is needed. Bamford has shown he is willing to make change -- Kellogg, Micheletto, Dawley. Hopefully he sees the big picture here. It might not, or even probably, won't happen during the season, so that sucks. Just as we don't know what the future holds with the stadium, or conference, or whatever, it sucks to have to continue to have faith, keep buying tickets and ride it out. But that's what I will do, because I love my school above anything else and I want what is best. I thought on Dec. 26, 2013 that Whipple again would be the answer. Sadly, we were wrong about that, for whatever reason.
I agree, for the amount of talent we have had, I was expecting more progress by now. I'd imagine Bamford will let the rest of the season play out, but as with basketball, we may need to break with our past if things don't improve soon.

UMass87
Hall of Fame

Post by UMass87 » Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:13 pm

Dem - college hockey is in another category altogether. In basketball, some fans remember the UMass glory years and if the team was good again they'd give UMass props. No college football fan has ever given UMass a thought in modern times. We love to remember the UMass glory years but we, literally, are the only ones who think about them at all and even know about them because for most college football fans FCS is itself a joke. It's D3 as far as most football fans are concerned. The amount of delusion about UMass football on this board is amusing when it's not pathetic.

Hall of Fame

Post by 78 » Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:26 pm

MajBugman wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:46 pm
78 wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:51 pm
stevemaz wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:38 pm78=Doosh
Translation, we aren't winning 8 games this year, and the Big Ten is never calling on UMass to join the conference.
What's a doosh?
Hey, don't question Stevemaz, he said he would get into UMass today, but I wouldn't. :lol:
Bamford has erased McCutcheon

Hall of Fame

Post by 78 » Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:28 pm

UMass87 nailed it.

DEM
Senior

Post by DEM » Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:26 pm

UMass87 wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:13 pm Dem - college hockey is in another category altogether. In basketball, some fans remember the UMass glory years and if the team was good again they'd give UMass props. No college football fan has ever given UMass a thought in modern times. We love to remember the UMass glory years but we, literally, are the only ones who think about them at all and even know about them because for most college football fans FCS is itself a joke. It's D3 as far as most football fans are concerned. The amount of delusion about UMass football on this board is amusing when it's not pathetic.
If you are referring to perception of the program by other football fans, I agree that only having losing seasons in the first years of FBS won't win a whole lot of respect, you won't get any argument from me on that. However, I don't think it's "delusional" for myself and others to hope for something better in the future. If all you had were the 5-10 years pre-Calipari to judge UMass basketball by, would you also conclude that UMass basketball would remain "a joke" for the foreseeable future, and not have the audacity to hope for a solid basketball program (nevermind one that makes the Final Four)? It is very easy to kick the program when it's down and give all the reasons why you think we shouldn't succeed. But, all sorts of reasons were given why none of us would live to see UMass move up into FBS. And yet somehow the impossible happened. I don't see any good reasons why we shouldn't be supportive of the program, even if it hasn't been as successful in its early years as we would have liked.

UMass87
Hall of Fame

Post by UMass87 » Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:55 pm

DEM - I think it's fine to be supportive and I also agree that it was a pleasant surprise when UMass did finally move up (even if it was 35 years too late). I'm not referring, though, just to the past five years. I'm referring to the past 40 years (since D1 asplit into 1A and 1AA). And you're also right that it's possible for UMass to continue indefinitely as an FBS Independent (this is probably the most cost-effective way for UMass to play FBS football barring the extraordinarily unlikely P5 invitation). The thing is that the move is doomed to mediocrity at best with abject failure the most likely outcome. The plain truth is that UMass is a shitty destination for a player wanting to play FBS football. The loss to Coastal Carolina didn't just highlight the awful job the coaches are doing - it highlighted how athletically outclassed UMass is. By a team that just moved up this year. As I said in an earlier post - the fact that Whipple has got any FBS capable players to come to UMass is a credit to him. He's always going to have far fewer of them than his opponents, though. And that's not changing while UMass has a joke of a stadium that rarely sells out its 17k seats.

Hall of Fame

Post by 78 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:26 am

^^^
Also agree 100 percent with this. I think whip and staff have done an unreal job getting FBS caliber kids to come here. I still support the team and will watch the game on TV Saturday. And I say more power to all of you who will be in attendance. I just can't take the 4-hour drive knowing I will likely have to sit through another loss. I need a week off and hope to return to live action on 9/30. That said, I will be cheering them on in front of the TV. :)