Page 22 of 22

Re: Game 1 (2017) Hawaii

Posted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:53 am
by MJatUM
Franklin Fanatic wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:42 pm
It's Whips job to put the best person back there to field a punt deep in our own end. Yes, it would've been nice if Britt made the play, but he shouldn't have been back there in the first place.
It's kind of ridiculous to say he shouldn't have been back there in the first place. If he is the best guy on the team at fielding punts, he should have been back there. My main quibble with it is that you knew the punt was going to be near(ish) to the end zone. Just tell the guy to let it go regardless of where it looks like it will land.

Re: Game 1 (2017) Hawaii

Posted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:28 pm
by NilesGold
MJatUM wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:53 am
Franklin Fanatic wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:42 pm
It's Whips job to put the best person back there to field a punt deep in our own end. Yes, it would've been nice if Britt made the play, but he shouldn't have been back there in the first place.
It's kind of ridiculous to say he shouldn't have been back there in the first place. If he is the best guy on the team at fielding punts, he should have been back there. My main quibble with it is that you knew the punt was going to be near(ish) to the end zone. Just tell the guy to let it go regardless of where it looks like it will land.
He's not the best guy and Whipple knew it. Whipple said in the post-game that he put Britt in there to give Rodgers a little rest.

Re: Game 1 (2017) Hawaii

Posted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:37 pm
by MJatUM
All the more reason when you send him out there you say "Don't you f*cking go near that ball!"

Re: Game 1 (2017) Hawaii

Posted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:59 pm
by gosox22
Days later and I'm finally going to chime in. I echo what a lot of you have said. That game was a swift kick to the grapefruits. Following UMass football for the past 8 years or so has been depressing. Yes, Morris and Molnar put this program in an absolutely horrible position. But Whipple has been here 4 years now, and while they are clearly more competitive, they have absolutely, positively NO CLUE how to win a close football game. It is beyond infuriating. I'm one of the biggest diehards of the football team that there is, but seriously... I just can't take it anymore. I truly hope Whipple can turn it around this year, but I'm 99% sure he won't. And if he wins 3 games or less, he's gone at the end of the year. Anyone who has paid attention to what Ryan Bamford has done knows my statement is true. Personally, I think its time to make the change. No idea who you can get in here, but Whipple is not the same guy he was in his first stint in Amherst.

Re: Game 1 (2017) Hawaii

Posted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:23 pm
by eldonabe
gosox22 wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:59 pm
...... but Whipple is not the same guy he was in his first stint in Amherst.
In the words of Lars...... You know it's sad but true............... sad but trueeeeeeeeeeeee.

Re: Game 1 (2017) Hawaii

Posted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:46 pm
by DearOleUMass
gosox22 wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:59 pm
And if he wins 3 games or less, he's gone at the end of the year. Anyone who has paid attention to what Ryan Bamford has done knows my statement is true. Personally, I think its time to make the change. No idea who you can get in here, but Whipple is not the same guy he was in his first stint in Amherst.
3 games or less and I think he's gone but if he gets to 4 wins I think he is back next year. With that said, I think Bamford knows football is a different animal than any of the other sports. Not sure who else we could get in here that is any better but if we don't see some type of progress in the win column this year I think he needs to go.

Re: Game 1 (2017) Hawaii

Posted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:03 pm
by Cahoonaville
This loss is still getting to me...I can't shake it. Hopefully the team feels the same way!

Re: Game 1 (2017) Hawaii

Posted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:38 pm
by photoman
DearOleUMass wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:46 pm
gosox22 wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:59 pm
And if he wins 3 games or less, he's gone at the end of the year. Anyone who has paid attention to what Ryan Bamford has done knows my statement is true. Personally, I think its time to make the change. No idea who you can get in here, but Whipple is not the same guy he was in his first stint in Amherst.
3 games or less and I think he's gone but if he gets to 4 wins I think he is back next year. With that said, I think Bamford knows football is a different animal than any of the other sports. Not sure who else we could get in here that is any better but if we don't see some type of progress in the win column this year I think he needs to go.
I'm thinking it's time for someone with some emotion. Some yelling, some animation on the sideline. I couldn't stand all the tv pans to the coach holding onto his chart and checking the chart. The answer was obviously NOT on that chart!

Re: Game 1 (2017) Hawaii

Posted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:55 pm
by minutefanjsf
photoman wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:38 pm
DearOleUMass wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:46 pm
gosox22 wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:59 pm
And if he wins 3 games or less, he's gone at the end of the year. Anyone who has paid attention to what Ryan Bamford has done knows my statement is true. Personally, I think its time to make the change. No idea who you can get in here, but Whipple is not the same guy he was in his first stint in Amherst.
3 games or less and I think he's gone but if he gets to 4 wins I think he is back next year. With that said, I think Bamford knows football is a different animal than any of the other sports. Not sure who else we could get in here that is any better but if we don't see some type of progress in the win column this year I think he needs to go.
I'm thinking it's time for someone with some emotion. Some yelling, some animation on the sideline. I couldn't stand all the tv pans to the coach holding onto his chart and checking the chart. The answer was obviously NOT on that chart!
The cameras didn't catch him then. He was lighting kids up often during this game. Much more so than he has done in his return. He was looking somewhat like the first stint when he was yelling a lot. If he had come out and blew a gasket during the presser people would have chastised him for that. He also did not call out individual players this time, which is a good thing. I am not saying these things to counter arguments saying he is past his prime or that his performance is worthy of being retained,must pointing out that he may finally be getting back to old Whip emotionally.

Re: Game 1 (2017) Hawaii

Posted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:25 pm
by photoman
Could be policy to not show individuals being lit up. If there was that kind of emotion it wasn't shown on TV.

Re: Game 1 (2017) Hawaii

Posted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:08 am
by JD14
photoman wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:25 pm
Could be policy to not show individuals being lit up. If there was that kind of emotion it wasn't shown on TV.
The emotion was definitely there! He lit up the O-line after holding penalties, and screamed at our LB after the late hit on Brown.



On another note, Downey is going to be a beast this year. Hawaii had to double-team him frequently. He should feast against some smaller teams.

Re: Game 1 (2017) Hawaii

Posted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:13 am
by tdmass
It will be a big boost if Shaki comes back this week as Downey will be much more effective on the edge!

Re: Game 1 (2017) Hawaii

Posted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:49 pm
by KahunaK
I am not of the mind that the season is a loss. In fact, at certain parts of the game, I thought UMASS played much better than almost at any time in the past few season. I think there is hope for a decent season. My concern is some of the decisions that the coaching staff are making. Whipple needs to give up being OC and just be the head coach. He cannot hold a large lead. This game and the BGU come to mind. GO UMASS!