Game 1 (2017) Hawaii

Get ready for some MACtion
MikeEsq
Senior

Re: Game 1 (2017) Hawaii

Post by MikeEsq » Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:09 am

Everything here has been said, but put me in the category that the game has passed Whipple by. Depressing to read the comments after the game. The players seemed torn up, and Whipple made it sound like he just had finished a sub-par round of golf. I can't stand the lack of attention to special teams, the non-existent defense, the poor play-calling on both sides, and players that haven't been coached on mental toughness. I will tune in when possible this year, but I really believe a change is needed at this point.

Marty Peretz
Hall of Fame

Post by Marty Peretz » Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:50 am

The most frustrating thing is that Whipple doesn't seem to give a shit.It's almost eerie. Not every coach is going to be a loud, passionate type--I get that. But he seems palpably indifferent in post game press conferences. Just so resigned to failure. That'd be one thing if we were losing to big name programs, but this was a game we (HE) just straight up blew. He seems zen-like and not in a good way. Just so blase about everything. I don't wanna play armchair psychologist but it's one of the weirder things I've seen in following UMass sports, especially given how fiery (perhaps too much) he was in his first go-round here. It's 180 degree change and it isn't working.

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:41 pm

This game, and day overall, was a kick square in the balls.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

e_parade
Senior

Post by e_parade » Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:58 pm

InnervisionsUMASS wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:41 pm This game, and day overall, was a kick square in the balls.
On the bright side at least now they're gaining experience at kicking balls successfully.

tdmass
Senior

Post by tdmass » Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:08 pm

Whip's presser demeanor srrangely reminds me of DB's last season here (2008) and his presser's . . . when you could tell he so badly wanted to be somewhere else!

eldonabe
Hall of Fame

Post by eldonabe » Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:46 pm

e_parade wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:58 pm
InnervisionsUMASS wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:41 pm This game, and day overall, was a kick square in the balls.
On the bright side at least now they're gaining experience at kicking balls successfully.
Yes sir - well done..... well done.

ZooMass84
Senior

Post by ZooMass84 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:14 pm

Whip looks glazed over, just like Molnar and Morris did. Someone talk to the AD and get him to shake Whip up. Whip was innovative a couple years ago but now he sucks. SPECIAL TEAMS IS KILLING US!!!! How many games are we going to lose in the last minute????? Remember Temple??? I'm tired of having these middling f-ing teams come into our place and waltz out with wins, after traveling 1,000's of miles. Someone get pissed off and tell Whipple he either wins this year or he is gone.

photoman
Senior

Post by photoman » Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:31 pm

@zoo Agree about the innovation a few years back. Sadly, more than a few years ago at this point. I have my tattered 1998 National Championship T-Shirt to prove it! You could always count on a flea-flicker, or halfback option pass or SOMETHING other than running the ball up the middle for no gain. When we were up by 14 you can't tell me that ANYONE who's followed this team in recent years was feeling comfortable.

MikeEsq
Senior

Post by MikeEsq » Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:49 pm

ZooMass84 wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:14 pm Whip looks glazed over, just like Molnar and Morris did. Someone talk to the AD and get him to shake Whip up. Whip was innovative a couple years ago but now he sucks. SPECIAL TEAMS IS KILLING US!!!! How many games are we going to lose in the last minute????? Remember Temple??? I'm tired of having these middling f-ing teams come into our place and waltz out with wins, after traveling 1,000's of miles. Someone get pissed off and tell Whipple he either wins this year or he is gone.
"Glazed over" is the perfect description. I think Whipple's state pension vests after this season, and I wouldn't be surprised if there was a firing or mutual parting of the ways at that point.

Bay Area UMie
Sophomore

Post by Bay Area UMie » Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:30 am

MikeEsq wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:49 pm
ZooMass84 wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:14 pm Whip looks glazed over, just like Molnar and Morris did. Someone talk to the AD and get him to shake Whip up. Whip was innovative a couple years ago but now he sucks. SPECIAL TEAMS IS KILLING US!!!! How many games are we going to lose in the last minute????? Remember Temple??? I'm tired of having these middling f-ing teams come into our place and waltz out with wins, after traveling 1,000's of miles. Someone get pissed off and tell Whipple he either wins this year or he is gone.
"Glazed over" is the perfect description. I think Whipple's state pension vests after this season, and I wouldn't be surprised if there was a firing or mutual parting of the ways at that point.
Talk about rampant, irresponsible speculation-we are one game into the season and you toss this baseless rubbish out there about a first-class guy who is giving his all trying to build a FBS program literally from the ground up and you suggest that a resignation or firing is imminent at year’s end? On what grounds do you make the farcical assertion that “UMass players haven't been coached on mental toughness”-do you have inside sources or are your comments from a faraway observer hiding behind his (or her) laptop? Maybe someone on the board can arrange for you to meet with some of the players so you can voice your concern about the absence of “mental toughness” on the field. What credentials do you have to question the competence (“the game has passed him by”) of a guy that played collegiately, has won as a HC at numerous institutions and was instrumental in the development of a current NFL QB who has won two super bowl rings? Just curious, did you yourself ever strap on the pads in high school (or perhaps you played collegiately since you speak so authoritatively about college football) and display that “mental toughness” on the field that you claim the team lacks? My sense you as well as several others on this board who are incessant critics never played the game competitively at any level but collectively you sprint to the keyboard to express negative bravado and empty cliches about the player’s and coaching staff. This team needs and deserves our support at this point in the season. The current wave of extreme criticism over the Hawaii loss (yes, we should have won) and the irresponsible speculation about coaches resigning or getting fired or as a complete moron eloquently posted “the coach doesn’t give a shit” can only serve as a detriment to the program’s success this year.

NilesGold
Hall of Fame

Post by NilesGold » Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:07 am

Whipple is apparently willing to take some of the blame.

http://www.gazettenet.com/UMass-coaches ... s-12140236

[Whipple thought his team, starting with himself, didn’t effectively handle the end of the game well.

“We didn’t do a good job handling it. I probably didn’t either. You’re right there. You have to reset. We didn’t do a very good job on offense. We knew what they were going to run and we just didn’t execute. We just needed a field goal. That was disappointing. We have to go back to work on that,” he said. “Defensively we just can’t give up the big play at that point. We’ll learn from it and move forward. We have to coach better and we have to play better.”]

tdmass
Senior

Post by tdmass » Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:03 am

"We just needed a field goal" . . . how many games has that happened already . . geez!

Bubba
Sophomore

Post by Bubba » Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:42 am

I see two things:

1. Special teams - Whip needs to find a way to make these acceptable. They don't have to be anything special, just not a consistent disaster.

2. Offensive Coordinator - Whip should not be calling the plays, he has too many other things to think about. Furthermore, I think when it's hitting the fan, his play calling falls back to the Lombardi era, which won't cut it in FBS these days unless you have a Lombardi type defense, we don't.

MJatUM
Hall of Fame

Post by MJatUM » Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:02 am

Bay Area UMie wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:30 am
Nice to see you join board, Coach Whipple.

Franklin Fanatic
Freshman

Post by Franklin Fanatic » Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:19 pm

78 wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:11 am
tdmass wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:36 am Saturday Blitz said "Breneman is the only bright spot on an otherwise unimpressive minuteman squad"!
I would add Isaiah Rodgers to the list of bright spots, as well as the transfer from Hofstra. Ford was okay, but his decision making in critical situations continues to be highly questionable.
The only questionable decision making in critical situations continues to be that of Mark Whipple. What a shit show he turned in on Saturday!