Parking @ McGuirk

Get ready for some MACtion
MJatUM
Hall of Fame

Re: Parking @ McGuirk

Post by MJatUM » Sat Sep 17, 2016 10:04 pm

78 wrote:My final thought on the cluster surrounding UMass football. I and the guy I was with along with several other people walked through a wide open gate staffed by no one. No tickets checked, no security, nothing. I guess that's one way to increase attendance. :D
Big boy football baby!

cox'n
Junior

Post by cox'n » Sun Sep 18, 2016 5:42 am

I printed my paring pass yesterday morning and was shocked at the amount of toner needed. Is there any way to just print the pass without all the advertisements?

PreecherJenkins
Senior

Post by PreecherJenkins » Sun Sep 18, 2016 8:00 am

soooo... besides using up all your toner to print the parking passes, how did the new system work out?
"You are what your record says you are" Coach Bill P.

JUST SAY NO TO THE MAC

Hall of Fame

Post by 78 » Sun Sep 18, 2016 8:56 am

PreecherJenkins wrote:soooo... besides using up all your toner to print the parking passes, how did the new system work out?

I printed my pass, but then decided to park at Whitmore as I usually do. Much easier and it's a nice walk to the stadium.
Bamford has erased McCutcheon

Steve81
Hall of Fame

Post by Steve81 » Sun Sep 18, 2016 9:23 am

After walking up and checking things out an hour before kick-off, think we all over reacted to the parking situation. The access road between lots 33 and 22 coming off University drive only had a few cars in line, no huge back-up. If you had a printed parking pass, they handed you a hanging mirror parking pass for lot 22. If you did not have a printed parking pass, you had to park in lot 33. Seemed pretty simple.
Go UMass!!

UMass02
Senior

Post by UMass02 » Sun Sep 18, 2016 10:36 am

Steve81 wrote:After walking up and checking things out an hour before kick-off, think we all over reacted to the parking situation. The access road between lots 33 and 22 coming off University drive only had a few cars in line, no huge back-up. If you had a printed parking pass, they handed you a hanging mirror parking pass for lot 22. If you did not have a printed parking pass, you had to park in lot 33. Seemed pretty simple.
They also didn't really enforce the new policy. Wait until they fully implement it before reaching a conclusion!

Rocks22
Hall of Fame

Post by Rocks22 » Sun Sep 18, 2016 10:39 am

Enforcement is still very inconsistent. Me and UMass02 went in the Rocky Hill Rd entrance with our yellow lot passes right when gates opened. No problems. Half hour later they were telling people with yellow lot passes to turn around and go in through University Drive. :?

The best plans in the world are only as good as execution.

UMass02
Senior

Post by UMass02 » Sun Sep 18, 2016 10:40 am

78 wrote:My final thought on the cluster surrounding UMass football. I and the guy I was with along with several other people walked through a wide open gate staffed by no one. No tickets checked, no security, nothing. I guess that's one way to increase attendance. :D
They have a new stadium security vendor (GMCS?). There's obviously an issue that needs to be addressed. The in-stadium security seemed more chill than when they used their last vendor (one guard over the years acted like a middle-school student hall monitor).

UMass02
Senior

Post by UMass02 » Sun Sep 18, 2016 10:41 am

Rocks22 wrote:Enforcement is still very inconsistent. Me and UMass02 went in the Rocky Hill Rd entrance with our yellow lot passes right when gates opened. No problems. Half hour later they were telling people with yellow lot passes to turn around and go in through University Drive. :?

The best plans in the world are only as good as execution.
In addition, I was told by others that it wasn't clear which lane to use on University Drive until it was too late. Signage needs improvement on Amity Street.

cox'n
Junior

Post by cox'n » Sun Sep 18, 2016 11:03 am

PreecherJenkins wrote:soooo... besides using up all your toner to print the parking passes, how did the new system work out?
I was never asked for it. At least I have them all ready in my glove compartment for the upcoming McGuirk games.

minutefanjsf
Hall of Fame

Post by minutefanjsf » Sun Sep 18, 2016 11:21 am

Got there early enough to not see anything bad, but I believe the lane markings and extra lane was clearly marked and leaving the game from yellow lot was amazingly smooth. Officers were stopping pedestrians and only being allowed to turn right was a huge improvement.

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Mon Sep 19, 2016 7:53 am

Coming off of University Drive, 3 (yes, 3) people had to view my Lot 11 pass for me to get into Lot 11. A bit overkill, no?

There was no signage for traffic management coming from Frat Row and down Mass Ave until you got to the intersection of Mass Ave and University Ave. Then all of a sudden there were cones that didn't seem to do anything. I'm told there was signage directing GA one way and Lot 11 pass holders another way, but you were already in the normal lane of traffic (and within the new cone setup) once you saw that sign.

Overall, it was hard for me to tell because I was in Lot 11. I heard people complain about things, but no first hand knowledge of that beyond what I saw coming into the lot. What I do know is that the school didn't actually enforce the policy and handed out flyers to people about what to do for the next game. Should they actually enforce things for Homecoming, we'll really see how this goes.

Also, so much for no tailgating post-game. Many people stayed after the game in Lot 11, including the parents of players. In the scheme of things, I'm all about parking passes/paid parking when done right, but the "no post-game tailgating" thing is ridiculous, and even more so if no one is going to enforce it.
Last edited by InnervisionsUMASS on Mon Sep 19, 2016 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

JD14
Freshman

Post by JD14 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:53 am

After talking with my friends on campus, some of which who are current students, many students did not come to the tailgate because of the 'parking pass' restriction. It discouraged them from driving out. It really seemed like the main lot was quite empty. Despite that, I was surprised by the number of cars parked in Lot 11.

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Mon Sep 19, 2016 10:23 am

^

Extremely disappointing to hear that. One thing we do know is that even with the new policy, put in place in an effort to get kids to go into the game and stay, students still left in droves as early as the end of the 1st Quarter. I think it's pretty easy to see that student drinking and tailgating isn't the problem here.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

MJatUM
Hall of Fame

Post by MJatUM » Mon Sep 19, 2016 10:50 am

We knew where we were going, but we went to Hangar pregame - mainly to catch the FSU-Louisville game and get some of that sweet, sweet nectar (honey-mustard wings). We left at 2:45 expecting traffic, we were in lot 11 by 2:55 - said hey, we don't have beer! Drove out of lot 11, back to University Liquor (same plaza as Hangar) and were back in lot 11 at 3:10. Knew that would be a bad omen for attendance.

Also, had the same experience as IV - triple checking of the lot 11 pass.