Parking @ McGuirk

Ringing the Bell on a new era of UM Football.
UMass02
Senior

Re: Parking @ McGuirk

Post by UMass02 » Mon Sep 12, 2016 4:25 pm

njumass08 wrote:
JD14 wrote:When my in-laws come to the games with me and my wife, they drive themselves. Does this mean that they need to get a separate parking pass just to park in the main lot to come tailgate in Lot 12?
Yup, you'll have to get a free parking pass online for them. Looks like it might be printable (God I hope so).

What a mess this is.
I think this is the link to get those passes. Why does Athletics have to make things so inconvenient?

https://oss.ticketmaster.com/aps/umass/EN/buy/flexplan

When I think of convenience, I always think of Ticketmaster. As in "convenience fee."

njumass08
Hall of Fame

Post by njumass08 » Mon Sep 12, 2016 4:27 pm

DrG wrote:^ Bingo! We have a winner! The anti-FBS forces couldn't have done a better job of discouraging football attendance.
They should just call it the Max Page Parking Pass.

I am pretty furious right now. I feel like a lot of us here try our hardest to convince people to come to games and now this crap is just making it even harder.
"I just believe in being positive." - Mark Whipple

UMass02
Senior

Post by UMass02 » Mon Sep 12, 2016 4:31 pm

I love how they posted this the Monday after the BC loss. They lost a good opportunity Saturday to build regional interest in the program and now they are trying their best to kill what little casual fan interest is left. It's almost like they are rubbing salt in the wound.

njumass08
Hall of Fame

Post by njumass08 » Mon Sep 12, 2016 4:46 pm

@HeyMollyMol Re: new @UMassFootball parking: no one will be turned away; will improve entering/exiting stadium; will provide safer gameday exp for all.
Tweet that Molly just sent out. If that's true then they need to write that, because that's not what the Email says. The email says you will be turned away without a pass and will have to pick one up at McGuirk.

Yeah, they totally messed this thing up. I'm sure intentions may have been good but this is bad.

First the website fiasco and now this. Yikes.

And I'm someone that has tried not ever be too critical and I try to give everything a positive spin.

Swampy
Hall of Fame

Post by Swampy » Mon Sep 12, 2016 5:01 pm

InnervisionsUMASS wrote:Absolutely infuriating. Why the fuck do we continue to not be able to get out of our own way?
You Were
You Are
UMass
:(

UMass02
Senior

Post by UMass02 » Mon Sep 12, 2016 5:21 pm

I strongly encourage UMass fans to grab passes while they still can. You can even get passes for the grass field south of the stadium. The link below should let you order them for free... or just to go the Athletics homepage and navigate around to get to this page.

https://oss.ticketmaster.com/aps/umass/EN/buy/flexplan

I just put in an order for mine for an extra in case I need one for a guest.

njumass08
Hall of Fame

Post by njumass08 » Mon Sep 12, 2016 5:41 pm

^ Does it let you print them out?

Quann
Senior

Post by Quann » Mon Sep 12, 2016 6:18 pm

This could one of the dumbest things I have ever seen. Let's make as difficult as possible to get fans to the stadium! The university deserves to get destroyed for this. It's moronic.

UMass02
Senior

Post by UMass02 » Mon Sep 12, 2016 6:26 pm

njumass08 wrote:^ Does it let you print them out?
It's supposed to be emailed to me. I'll see if I get them.

CapeCodBruiser
Senior

Post by CapeCodBruiser » Mon Sep 12, 2016 6:58 pm

1. Suppose you are an FIU grad living in Mass and you decide to go to the game Saturday and buy tickets walk up....how would you know about the parking pass situation?

2. This would be like if you sent an email out to 20 friends saying lets meet at the Cape Cod Mall Cinema at 645 to buy tickets for the 7pm showing of Chunnel. Oh by the way anyone that is going has to stop at Cumberland Farms store in Hyannis first and get a parking pass to get into the cinema lot.

minutefanjsf
Senior

Post by minutefanjsf » Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:28 pm

Most schools have a parking policy like this. You have to buy the passes first. Being able to get them on game day is the logistical nightmare at UMass, because there is no "staging" lot to address walk ups. The Bill is probably the best case scenario, but having to pull into that lot and back out is tough. The parking lot and road layout is less than conducive for smooth traffic flow.

kdogg8173
Senior

Post by kdogg8173 » Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:29 pm

Bamford is kind of coming across like a dink on Twitter with a tone like fans are overreacting when in reality the school can't even get out a new policy without fucking up the details. Even if walk up fans won't be turned away for fiu it sounds like driving down to Mullins will still be the policy in the future. Using parking passes might help with flow, but having one-off fans drive a mile down the road makes zero sense. 1 step forward, 1 step back.

But 85% of fbs schools CHARGE for parking! What a steal we're getting. Free parking and free ass-kickings.

kdogg8173
Senior

Post by kdogg8173 » Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:35 pm

Minutefan I don't think that's true at all. I've been to several stadiums that don't have a full parking pass policy. I also just looked up about 10 of the biggest programs in the country and every single one had game day first come first serve parking with no pass needed along with reserved parking sections.

minutefanjsf
Senior

Post by minutefanjsf » Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:43 pm

kdogg8173 wrote:Minutefan I don't think that's true at all. I've been to several stadiums that don't have a full parking pass policy. I also just looked up about 10 of the biggest programs in the country and every single one had game day first come first serve parking with no pass needed along with reserved parking sections.
To get into lots in proximity to the stadiums at big programs where UMass has traveled recently parking passes needed to be purchased ahead of time. A lot of the parking is just like we have, STH get the passes to the "good" lots. I think having a better location than the Mullins center to get a hold of a pass would be better. But, the idea of having people know where they are parking when they arrive is not uncommon. For walk up sales, people find a lot that has space and pay usually at other places. These first come first serve lots are satellite lots far away from the stadium. They also do not have enough parking on campus in most of these places to park all the vehicles if sold out. Many have lots in or around the town and run shuttle busses or taxis. I am sure if someone wanted to park in Orchard Hill or Northeast, they wouldn't need a parking pass. Those lots are akin to the distance big schools use as the first come first serve lots.

Quann
Senior

Post by Quann » Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:50 pm

We're not good enough to implement something like this. Why put up barriers right now?