Game 2 (2016): Boston College

Get ready for some MACtion
stanner
Freshman

Re: Game 2: Boston College

Post by stanner » Sat Sep 10, 2016 3:01 pm

Boring. Bland. Why do I make these trips? At least the campus and stadium at Florida were cool.

TheInsider
Hall of Fame

Post by TheInsider » Sat Sep 10, 2016 3:44 pm

After seeing whips comments I wonder if Comis is on a short leash next week....

R&G
Junior

Post by R&G » Sat Sep 10, 2016 3:58 pm

Whipple should be on a short leash. The offensive game plan and play calling were horrendous. They had -23 yards rushing and they kept running it between the tackles

tdmass
Senior

Post by tdmass » Sat Sep 10, 2016 4:06 pm

The OL coach is a joke. no wonder why he got booted from uconn!

photoman
Senior

Post by photoman » Sat Sep 10, 2016 4:07 pm

I know I didn't get many photos of offense. With -23 yards now I know why.

DEM
Senior

Post by DEM » Sat Sep 10, 2016 4:20 pm

Jackman wrote:I'm anticipating that this will be similar to the Florida game, despite BC being an inferior team to Florida. Our weak link against Florida was the play of our offensive line, and while much of that can be credited to Florida's outstanding defensive front, BC also has a strong d-line. I don't think we can expect any consistent offense due to that matchup, which means we'll have to capitalize on a high percentage of our opportunities when we do have fits and starts of offense.
In retrospect, you are right on the money with what you said there before the game. I'm a bit disappointed, but not that surprised.

Defense did an admirable job once again. On the other hand, the offense (most notably the offensive line, as others have mentioned), is a work in progress. But since we've only seen them against two of the toughest defenses that we'll face, it might not be quite as bad as it seems. Next week should give us a better gauge of where the offense is at.

kdogg8173
Senior

Post by kdogg8173 » Sat Sep 10, 2016 4:43 pm

O-line is bad and comis has zero awareness. Maybe even less than zero. IMO he should absolutely be benched. I just don't see it.

Rolling Ridge
Junior

Post by Rolling Ridge » Sat Sep 10, 2016 4:50 pm

DEM wrote:
Jackman wrote:I'm anticipating that this will be similar to the Florida game, despite BC being an inferior team to Florida. Our weak link against Florida was the play of our offensive line, and while much of that can be credited to Florida's outstanding defensive front, BC also has a strong d-line. I don't think we can expect any consistent offense due to that matchup, which means we'll have to capitalize on a high percentage of our opportunities when we do have fits and starts of offense.
In retrospect, you are right on the money with what you said there before the game. I'm a bit disappointed, but not that surprised.

Defense did an admirable job once again. On the other hand, the offense (most notably the offensive line, as others have mentioned), is a work in progress. But since we've only seen them against two of the toughest defenses that we'll face, it might not be quite as bad as it seems. Next week should give us a better gauge of where the offense is at.
I think this is a good analysis and is a pretty reasonable reaction to today's game. It's just incredibly disappointing to continually have these big profile games and come out looking so bad, and so boring. It really is no wonder more casual fans haven't been attracted to the games.

I'm hoping they look better next week. I wasn't expecting much from the offense today, but they gave me even less than I had anticipated. If they can't perform better against FIU, we're in trouble.

photoman
Senior

Post by photoman » Sat Sep 10, 2016 5:04 pm

^@rolling- I'm just getting tired of reasonable reactions to these games. A game that supplied all the excitement that -23 rushing yards will bring. I came home from this one really, really disappointed. And as far as student support goes, they won't need to hire any more buses for the rest of the season.

tdmass
Senior

Post by tdmass » Sat Sep 10, 2016 5:32 pm

Definitely took all the excitement and promise from last week out the window! If Whip is an "offensive genius" then I'm a rocket scientist. As bad as the O line was, Comis should've taken off an run earlier. Should have figured this out after the half. Making a few first downs or reasonable gains would've slowed down their pass rush just like Towles did to our pass rush.

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Sat Sep 10, 2016 6:01 pm

Very disappointed in a lot of aspects to this game. Overall, the D played well, but the offense put them in bad situations all day and the defense was on the field way too long and got worn down. Here are a few of the bad things I saw:

Offense:
O line got pushed around all day. No pass protection and no holes for the runners. I was expecting more after last week.
Comis made at least 5 bonehead plays. His decision making was much worse than last week. Some due to O line, but most were on him.
Our receivers cannot get open, especially on short routes and that kills us when Comis has no time to throw.

Defense:
Tough day for Allen. He had two passes go right through his hands. One for a long first down and the other for a touchdown. He had good position on both.

Coaching:
Didn't like the play calling. When you are trying to give your D a breather, you don't throw a 40 yard pass on 3rd and 4 from deep in your own end.
As others have said, very predictable which made it easier to defend. No play action, very few rollouts.

There's a lot more, but I can't bear to say any more. Maybe these will be the 2 best defenses we play all year, but we might make any D look good. Time to give Ford a shot? I'm not sure how mobile he is and if the O line doesn't get it together it probably won't matter.

tdmass
Senior

Post by tdmass » Sat Sep 10, 2016 6:06 pm

^ Good analysis 69!

Rolling Ridge
Junior

Post by Rolling Ridge » Sat Sep 10, 2016 6:15 pm

photoman wrote:^@rolling- I'm just getting tired of reasonable reactions to these games. A game that supplied all the excitement that -23 rushing yards will bring. I came home from this one really, really disappointed. And as far as student support goes, they won't need to hire any more buses for the rest of the season.
I hear you, I'm frustrated and disappointed too. And I'm sick of hearing about how good our recruits are and then see the team perform so badly in a high profile game.

But what exactly are we supposed to do about it? I can't imagine Whipple is happy with this result, or Bamford. The sad reality is, this is what we are right now. If indeed BC's and Florida's defenses are that good, then there simply may not have been much Whipple could do to compensate. It's early in the season, lot's of new players, probably a limited playbook, and our guys up front simply aren't up to the task against defenses this good. Take away some of our bonehead mistakes today, and we probably still lose.

So as frustrating as this is, and it is really, really frustrating, I'm going to take a deep breath and wait and see how we do next week against a different level of competition. If we look better, then we have to face the sad fact that BC was just that much better than we were today. It really is a setback, and I agree with you, they probably won't need many buses for the other Gillette games, which sucks. But unless we're going to start calling for Whipple's head, I think we have to accept he did the best he could with what he had against competition that is over our heads right now, suck it up and move on.

DEM
Senior

Post by DEM » Sat Sep 10, 2016 6:21 pm

^
Agreed.

photoman
Senior

Post by photoman » Sat Sep 10, 2016 6:25 pm

^You're absolutely right. It is what it is... we're not as good as a "bad" ACC team. If we lose to FIU it'll be a whole different level of anger, frustration and despair. The die-hards (those who care enough to post on this board) wait all year for football season and it's terrible to witness the lack of offense we experienced today.