Game 2 (2016): Boston College

Ringing the Bell on a new era of UM Football.
Post Reply
minutefanjsf
Senior
Posts: 1726
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:17 am

Re: Game 2: Boston College

Post by minutefanjsf » Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:45 pm

Per AP on twitter student busses sold out. Looking to secure more rides for students....It’s gonna be a fantastic environment. Can’t wait!

Marty Peretz
Hall of Fame
Posts: 4033
Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2005 3:13 am
Location: NYC by way of the 413

Re: Game 2: Boston College

Post by Marty Peretz » Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:48 pm

The great news about the busses selling out is that I believe a ticket and bus ride cost 20 bucks. Not too expensive but still encouraging that a lot of kids were willing to pay to get to the game. That's a huge improvement from recent years and undeniably a product of the UF result. My question: how many busses did they sell out? Anyone know?

BE LOUD SATURDAY.

cox'n
Junior
Posts: 701
Joined: Tue Apr 29, 2003 8:32 am
Location: Pioneer Valley

Re: Game 2: Boston College

Post by cox'n » Tue Sep 06, 2016 5:39 am

minutefanjsf wrote:Per AP on twitter student busses sold out. Looking to secure more rides for students...

Maybe those of us in the Pioneer Valley could all volunteer to drive a couple of coeds to the game. :D

User avatar
Swampy
Hall of Fame
Posts: 4120
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2003 9:21 am
Contact:

Re: Game 2: Boston College

Post by Swampy » Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:02 am

minutefanjsf wrote:Per AP on twitter student busses sold out.
Well kiss me Kate! :lol:

User avatar
SignMan
Hall of Fame
Posts: 2584
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2003 7:48 pm

Re: Game 2: Boston College

Post by SignMan » Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:04 am

^^ or charter another bus for Coeds only? :D :D
EDOC TERCES REPUS!

TheInsider
Hall of Fame
Posts: 3401
Joined: Wed Apr 23, 2003 9:12 am

Re: Game 2: Boston College

Post by TheInsider » Tue Sep 06, 2016 11:16 am

Still really surprised by the spread at 16.5. BC hasn't scored more that 17 points against a FBS team since 2014 :shock: if we can put some points up we have a real shot at beating them.... if that happens the AD and the coach won't make it past monday.

minutefanjsf
Senior
Posts: 1726
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:17 am

Re: Game 2: Boston College

Post by minutefanjsf » Tue Sep 06, 2016 5:58 pm

I have a feeling that this game could turn into more than a coming out party for UMASS. Ideally think Whipple will be able to devise a game plan to put points on the board. I think he will be able to use their aggresive D against themselves. If this happens, I agree, Bates and Addazio will be gone. It will also serve as a launch to conference affiliation, and donations to fix McGuirk.

User avatar
Crank
Senior
Posts: 1079
Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2003 9:57 am
Location: Berkshire Expatriate in MetroWest
Contact:

Re: Game 2: Boston College

Post by Crank » Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:01 am

minutefanjsf wrote:I have a feeling that this game could turn into more than a coming out party for UMASS. Ideally think Whipple will be able to devise a game plan to put points on the board. I think he will be able to use their aggresive D against themselves. If this happens, I agree, Bates and Addazio will be gone. It will also serve as a launch to conference affiliation, and donations to fix McGuirk.
I REALLY hope you're right about this. Unfortunately, UMass sports history contains so many missed opportunities like this one that my fan-PTSD is kicking in with a bad vibe. God damn it I hope I'm wrong...

photoman
Senior
Posts: 942
Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2003 8:25 pm
Location: Attleboro

Re: Game 2: Boston College

Post by photoman » Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:48 am

@Crank- "Fan PTSD". LMFAO, but completely agree. Missed opportunities too many to think about. Honestly hoping they didn't leave it all out in the field at the swamp. This BC game wouldn't be the ideal time to come out flat.

User avatar
MJatUM
Hall of Fame
Posts: 4405
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:46 pm
Location: Attleboro

Re: Game 2: Boston College

Post by MJatUM » Wed Sep 07, 2016 11:25 am

A common (I think) betting practice in the past has been to fade teams coming off games against the GT's and Navy's of the world that run the ball 100 times and pass it 5 times. Very physically tolling game, when you consider that BC played against GT in IRELAND, it makes me want to fade them even more. 3 scores? We might not hit double digits, but BC might not either.

minutefanjsf
Senior
Posts: 1726
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:17 am

Re: Game 2: Boston College

Post by minutefanjsf » Wed Sep 07, 2016 12:09 pm

Crank wrote:
minutefanjsf wrote:I have a feeling that this game could turn into more than a coming out party for UMASS. Ideally think Whipple will be able to devise a game plan to put points on the board. I think he will be able to use their aggresive D against themselves. If this happens, I agree, Bates and Addazio will be gone. It will also serve as a launch to conference affiliation, and donations to fix McGuirk.
I REALLY hope you're right about this. Unfortunately, UMass sports history contains so many missed opportunities like this one that my fan-PTSD is kicking in with a bad vibe. God damn it I hope I'm wrong...

I was at a UMass/BC hockey game that we lost 8-0, I know the feeling. I have no idea why my optimism is there for this one. I think Whipple showed nothing in the passing game last week. There is no way we have no passing game, even with ?s at wr, Whip will find a way to chuck it. I was pleased that running the ball shortened the game against FL, but I think it did much more than that. I think confidence especially in so many new guys is needed. This was the first time as FBS that we didn't get smoked in game one and it was against a ranked team. I think if we hit them hard first, BC will crumble. I know that is a big if, but imagine a kick return for TD to start the game or pick 6 or Comis to Isabella for a bomb, or Young for 80 yards. BC would not recover.

Calmass9
Junior
Posts: 667
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2008 9:22 pm

Re: Game 2: Boston College

Post by Calmass9 » Wed Sep 07, 2016 2:00 pm

Had a call with a UMass ticket rep this morning about some miscellaneous stuff and inquired about ticket sales. She said that group tickets were 80% sold out (sections 101-107) and now they're working on getting sections 108 and 112 totally filled. Combined that with the fact that student busses sold out in like 48 hours and I really think we may see an entirely full lower bowl at Gillette if BC holds up their end of the bargain. Crazy what one good showing vs a high quality opponent can do. Win this thing and keep the momentum rolling.

User avatar
njumass08
Hall of Fame
Posts: 5605
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:06 am

Re: Game 2: Boston College

Post by njumass08 » Wed Sep 07, 2016 2:13 pm

^ That's great news! And they just announced they found more buses for the students.
"I just believe in being positive." - Mark Whipple

minutefanjsf
Senior
Posts: 1726
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:17 am

Re: Game 2: Boston College

Post by minutefanjsf » Wed Sep 07, 2016 2:48 pm

There about 700-800 seats available on ticketmaster on the UMass side in both the lower bowl and club. That doesn't include group sales or endzones.

Calmass9
Junior
Posts: 667
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2008 9:22 pm

Re: Game 2: Boston College

Post by Calmass9 » Wed Sep 07, 2016 2:56 pm

minutefanjsf wrote:There about 700-800 seats available on ticketmaster on the UMass side in both the lower bowl and club. That doesn't include group sales or endzones.
Yeah, we're in good shape right now. I'm more than confident that those could be filled by walk up sales alone plus there's still 3 days left for people to buy online. I'm sure whatever they don't sell in the group section will be allocated to walk-up sales too. I think this will be the best atmosphere for a game at Gillette we've ever had.

Post Reply