Game 10: @ Eastern Michigan

Get ready for some MACtion
harbo
Hall of Fame

Re: Game 10: @ Eastern Michigan

Post by harbo » Sat Nov 14, 2015 6:40 pm

njumass08 wrote:YES!!!!!!! I can enjoy my Saturday night!!!! I think I changed their luck because I had to work today, hahahaha.

Feel great for the guys. They really deserved to get this one.
If anyone deserves an enjoyable autumn Saturday night, it's you nj. Thanks for keeping up the fight. When they start winning on a regular basis and you have to work, I'll be glad to write you a note.

Jack
Senior

Post by Jack » Sat Nov 14, 2015 6:45 pm

WOOOOO HOOOOO !!!!!! Go UMASS !!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

njumass08
Hall of Fame

Post by njumass08 » Sat Nov 14, 2015 6:49 pm

Haha. Thanks Harbo! I might have to take you up on that.
Looking forward to the 2022 UMass Football Season (Oh boy, just jinxed that one)

Rolling Ridge
Junior

Post by Rolling Ridge » Sat Nov 14, 2015 7:38 pm

Jackman wrote:Next season, if we can improve our blocking against non-EMU defenses, we'll definitely have a weapon at runningback.
I'd love to see this, see the team get down to fundamental football and really improve on the O and D lines, and have a solid running game. I think that might be the most productive path for us, given we have a good running back. But it assumes we can draft and coach those linesmen and the line schemes. In any case, using a more solid running game creates diversity and may open up the passing.

I'm very happy to get the win today, and am now actually looking forward to next week to see if we can keep the momentum going.

DrG
Senior

Post by DrG » Sat Nov 14, 2015 10:17 pm

We all think Whip's offense is pass-happy, but remember that the offensive hero of the 1998 championship game was a running back named Marcel Shipp.

wmmmfan
Senior

Post by wmmmfan » Sun Nov 15, 2015 9:28 am

Looking back, the lack of a plan for this move to FBS has been the biggest detriment to winning. The move seemingly was a quick decision and had this been planned out Don Brown would have probably stayed ( we would have been spared the last two HC's, Molnar and the other guy whose name escapes me) players could have been recruited and red shirted to be better prepared for the move up. If you look at the continuously successful programs ( Boise St., BYU type programs) red shirting is a useful tool. Whip seems to be doing this with his first two classes.

If we can win the last two games, hit the four win level, we will be showing progress in the W-L area. We are clearly recruiting better athletes and building depth within the program. Patience will be something the fan base will need to practice as this program was put in a four year hole through the rush decision to join FBS.

I still think the program needs to properly fund the salaries for the coaching staff and bring in some more experience to help Whip but over all the program seems to be moving in the right direction.

Jack
Senior

Post by Jack » Sun Nov 15, 2015 11:23 am

Rolling Ridge wrote:I'd love to see this, see the team get down to fundamental football and really improve on the O and D lines, and have a solid running game. I think that might be the most productive path for us, given we have a good running back. But it assumes we can draft and coach those linesmen and the line schemes. In any case, using a more solid running game creates diversity and may open up the passing.

I agree w/you but there is no "draft" in CFB. FWIW: HC doesn't inherit a bad football team and just wave a magic wand to turn it into a good football team. It takes yrs to build a good OL & DL. Whipple is in his second season. Have a little faith, better days are coming.

Rolling Ridge
Junior

Post by Rolling Ridge » Sun Nov 15, 2015 1:17 pm

Jack wrote:
Rolling Ridge wrote:I'd love to see this, see the team get down to fundamental football and really improve on the O and D lines, and have a solid running game. I think that might be the most productive path for us, given we have a good running back. But it assumes we can draft and coach those linesmen and the line schemes. In any case, using a more solid running game creates diversity and may open up the passing.

I agree w/you but there is no "draft" in CFB. FWIW: HC doesn't inherit a bad football team and just wave a magic wand to turn it into a good football team. It takes yrs to build a good OL & DL. Whipple is in his second season. Have a little faith, better days are coming.
LOL, yes I meant "recruit." :)

Not sure I have "faith," but I do have patience and I understand this is going to take a while to transition. Probably longer than I'd originally hoped for, so I'm adjusting my expectations accordingly. But I'm not going anywhere. I'm trusting in Bamford to make the right call on when Whipple has had enough time. I think some criticism of his approach this season is warranted, but I'm not ready to throw the baby out with the bathwater. I'm not convinced we couldn't have had more production running the ball this year, it never really seemed like enough of a focus to me. Certainly we give up size on both lines, so that is a major factor to contend with, but with running, sometimes you just have to commit to it and stick with it before it starts to click.

Overall I'm just hoping they are recruiting linesmen who can get the running game going, especially as we seem to have a good back. I just think having that balance is a more sound approach than the pass first strategy we've seen for the past four years.

goumassfootball
Freshman

Post by goumassfootball » Sun Nov 15, 2015 4:25 pm

The O Line played great...first time we have stayed with the run. When you are constantly using an empty backfield, it makes the passing game very predictable and I'm guessing the big guys up front were pretty vocal about running it. On the sideline, you could tell they were fired up about the run.

Best news of all, no Dan "I'll have another cheeseburger" Malone doing his post game video "analysis" as he knows nothing about football.

Let's win three in a row to quiet the naysayers. Go Minutemen!

MajBugman
Senior

Post by MajBugman » Sun Nov 15, 2015 5:51 pm

wmmmfan wrote:Looking back, the lack of a plan for this move to FBS has been the biggest detriment to winning. The move seemingly was a quick decision and had this been planned out Don Brown would have probably stayed ( we would have been spared the last two HC's, Molnar and the other guy whose name escapes me) players could have been recruited and red shirted to be better prepared for the move up. If you look at the continuously successful programs ( Boise St., BYU type programs) red shirting is a useful tool. Whip seems to be doing this with his first two classes.
The old UMass athletic department did things in a half-assed, haphazard, non-sensical way? Say it ain't so.

UMass definitely struck while the iron was cold. Even if they made the move in 2008 it would have been better. But no, they waited until Morris killed the team. They couldn't have picked a worse time to move up to FBS. That obviously hurt them. Not only did they have an FCS roster, they had a not very good FCS roster. It's going to take some time. I still have faith in Whip. He seems to be building an FBS roster in the right way without selling out the future to get a short lived fix.
Raise the bar, do the minimum.

photoman
Senior

Post by photoman » Sun Nov 15, 2015 6:08 pm

Great to get a win yesterday, but let's not get too worked up about our "running game revival". It was against a team that routinely gives up tons of yardage on the ground. (not to mention they're a 1 win team) It's not like we didn't TRY to run in prior games. We just couldn't do it.

DPBOS
Sophomore

Post by DPBOS » Mon Nov 16, 2015 11:21 pm

Until beggars can be choosers, a W's a W. As bad as Eastern Michigan usually is and absolutely is this season, a W still beats the too frequent alternative.

DirSport
Junior

Post by DirSport » Tue Nov 17, 2015 3:04 pm

wmmmfan wrote:(we would have been spared the last two HC's, Molnar and the other guy whose name escapes me)
How soon some forget the current offensive coordinator at Monmouth University.
http://www.monmouthhawks.com/ViewArticl ... =209433268

MajBugman
Senior

Post by MajBugman » Tue Nov 17, 2015 3:21 pm

^
Gahhhhhh!

JJ, we need a horrified emoticon.
Raise the bar, do the minimum.

gosox22
Junior

Post by gosox22 » Wed Nov 18, 2015 12:02 pm

Morris and Molnar, two of the worst hires in the history of the school and they happened to be made consecutively, while trying to move up to FBS. From that perspective, it's a minor miracle we could be a 4 win team this year...