Game 7: Toledo (Band Day Gillette)

Get ready for some MACtion
Kelz626
Junior

Re: Game 7: Toledo (Band Day Gillette)

Post by Kelz626 » Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:52 am

78 wrote:^^^^^^^^^^^

While I can buy some of what you are saying, how do you explain something like 15 penalties for 134 yards. I don't care if they have D3 level talent or freshmen playing, that shouldn't happen. This team has less discipline than the Molnar teams, which is more than sad. I continue to believe that Whip's just not into it the way he needs or used to to be when we see 15 penalties in a game.

One other question - How did we look so much better last year than this year when we had even more of the Molnar and Morris recruits playing?
^ Right, like I said Whip has some things he needs to figure out coaching wise. 15 penalties is inexcusable, players need to park their ass on the bench for a series or two if things like that continue to happen. Yet this isn't the case, players aren't held accountable for their actions and continue to play lackadaisical and not really care about how they're hurting the team. This is on the coaching staff, there needs to be a message of "your actions have consequences" Also there's no question a new D-Coordinator is needed.

As far as why we did better last year, 3 things:
1. We caught a lot of teams by surprise-There was no game film on UMass running Whip's offense and his various packages and formations, also Froh and Sifrin were complete mysteries and I think teams didn't know what to expect. This year teams know what to expect vs. UMass and have made the necessary adjustments. Add to that the fact that our run game has been even more non existent than it was last year and its a recipe for disaster

2. We don't have Jean Sifrin any more- Sifrin was a constant go-to guy for Froh on 3rd down and in the Red Zone last year and with his departure, no one has stepped up to fill his shoes. As far as in the Red Zone I expected Custis, Jalen Williams and Nesmith to pick up the slack being big body receivers but nothing much has happened on this front. Williams is out for the year, Custis is non existent and Nesmith still isn't a factor.

3. The little bit of success we did have went to players' heads-This goes back to the attitude and not having to earn anything. After getting blown away by Colorado Trey Dudley-Giles was quoted saying "We thought all we had to do is show up and we'd win". Similarly Rodney Mills was quoted last week saying "we got ahead of ourselves thinking about MAC Championships and bowl games, instead of the game in front of us" This leads me to believe this team thought this year was going to be a cakewalk, didn't prepare for it as hard as they should have and are now paying the price.
Last edited by Kelz626 on Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

eldonabe
Hall of Fame

Post by eldonabe » Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:11 am

Unlike basketball, one super huge recruit is not going to change a football team's fortunes overnight. You need a collective group of good recruits and you need a little time for that to gel.

I am not saying Whip is the answer, but you also cannot discount him yet either. We are not Texas or Alabama who can want and get instant grattitude, we have to wait for a full cycle to run through here - meaning 4 years - it will be a little distorted by the fact that an independent schedule will not be able to produce a baseline (similar games/teams for year over year comparisons) but you still cannot know for sure until 4 years is complete.

Umass has some really nice pieces, but they are still on the young side and most of the older experienced pieces are from "Mr Big-Boy football" so while a little discouraged by the results this year, I am still on the positive side of this.... unlike my patience with the other major program coach on the hardwood floors.

photoman
Senior

Post by photoman » Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:17 am

@kelz626- Not going to quote your whole post, but the last sentence about if they didn't prepare hard enough for this season now they're paying the price....

Seems to me that the price is VERY high. The chance to prove we've made great progress has been wasted and they're certainly not bringing any new fans on board. Just the opposite seems true as the echo of that nearly empty Gillette Stadium is really hard to get out of my head. I know some of these thoughts are coming out of that horrific 2nd half vs. Toledo, but I'm starting to think that serious damage is being done to this program with every loss.

tdmass
Senior

Post by tdmass » Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:59 pm

^ Totally agree photoman . . every loss this year is VERY damaging especially the position we'll be in as an independent. Whip s/h made this year a top priority to be a success and he was quite pissed the way the team played the last 2 games w/o Froh last year so that should have been taken into consideration!

inthescoop
Hall of Fame

Post by inthescoop » Tue Oct 27, 2015 6:29 am

I hear that Scott Van Pelt roasted UMass football last night on his edition of SportsCenter, if anyone has a link of it please put it up, thanks!

Hall of Fame

Post by 78 » Tue Oct 27, 2015 6:51 am

inthescoop wrote:I hear that Scott Van Pelt roasted UMass football last night on his edition of SportsCenter, if anyone has a link of it please put it up, thanks!
I actually think it is pretty funny:

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=13981906
Bamford has erased McCutcheon

photoman
Senior

Post by photoman » Tue Oct 27, 2015 6:58 am

^Thanks for posting. Kinda funny in a sad way.

eldonabe
Hall of Fame

Post by eldonabe » Tue Oct 27, 2015 7:43 am

I thought I heard somewhere that any press was good press...... :wink:

MJatUM
Hall of Fame

Post by MJatUM » Tue Oct 27, 2015 10:22 am

Pretty much the perfect outsiders view of the game.

UMass87
Hall of Fame

Post by UMass87 » Tue Oct 27, 2015 12:57 pm

That was outstanding. Anyway, I've refrained from commenting in this thread but that got me going. I was thoroughly disappointed by the second half but I don't get all the teeth gnashing. UMass was never going to win the game but they competed. The Temple and Kent State games were the games they should have won. This one - UMass is lucky they were ever in it.

photoman
Senior

Post by photoman » Tue Oct 27, 2015 4:25 pm

^^Teeth gnashing is easy to understand. If we just got blown out from the opening kick we wouldn't be gnashing teeth at all. Agreed we "weren't supposed to win it", but when they came out firing on all cylinders, kicking Toledo's A$$ and building up a halftime lead it wasn't a matter of "being in it" as you put it. It was our game to win and pull the upset and then the whole team went MIA for the entire second half. THAT'S what was so upsetting. :shock:

tdmass
Senior

Post by tdmass » Tue Oct 27, 2015 4:53 pm

^ But that was what has happened the last 2 years . . . choke after halftime! NO one that has followed them since last year really should have expected anything different . . . just maybe a different way to lose!

photoman
Senior

Post by photoman » Tue Oct 27, 2015 5:23 pm

At some point we're going to have to turn the corner. Was just hoping THIS was going to be the time.

MJatUM
Hall of Fame

Post by MJatUM » Wed Oct 28, 2015 11:53 am

Had friends texting me about UMass being up 28-10 at half... My response "I'll be shocked if they cover. Yes I said cover. As in I was still expecting them to lose by more than 2 TD.

njumass08
Hall of Fame

Post by njumass08 » Wed Oct 28, 2015 2:32 pm

^ I hate when people text me while I'm at the games when UMass is winning. I don't even look at my phone.

Text me when it says 0:00 on the clock and UMass has more points than the other team.
Looking forward to the 2022 UMass Football Season (Oh boy, just jinxed that one)