Venue change

Get ready for some MACtion
rsox1221
Senior

Re: Venue change

Post by rsox1221 » Fri Nov 06, 2015 9:31 am

^While I'll admit the thought of that is slightly disappointing, I'll say this much: If they reach a point where they are using Gillette once every couple of years or so to host one big-time team and playing the rest of the games at McGuirk, that's a situation that is so much better than what are are dealing with now it's not even funny, and it would certainly be acceptable.

However that shouldn't stop Bamford from trying to get teams to play on campus first and foremost, including P5 teams. That's his job and he seems very well-equipped to do it. You don't want a situation where the department is caving to requests to only play at Gillette all the time, causing 3/3 splits every season because that is never going to work.

The good thing is he's been even more emphatic about the fact that college football belongs on campus, and I'm confident he'll do whatever he can to make sure that UMass plays its games at McGuirk almost exclusively going forward. barring a potential match-up against the top of the Power 5 should the opportunity arise.

I love how candid the guy is and how willing he is to engage the concerns of the fan base, it's really refreshing to see. I feel like we are in good shape with him leading the department. Now we just need some results on the field.
Last edited by rsox1221 on Fri Nov 06, 2015 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gosox22
Junior

Post by gosox22 » Fri Nov 06, 2015 12:00 pm

I also agree that the majority of games should be on campus, and it sounds like hopefully its heading in that direction.

Bamford was also candid on saying that if you are really a "fan" of the team, you should be travelling to Gillette to support the team. Also responded to a comment about how he expected fans to come when the team wasn't doing very well, by saying "which came first, the chicken or the egg"? Obviously implying that support and enthusiasm for the team can also help drive success. Essentially he is saying he will not accept the excuses the "fan" base is making. If you are actually a supporter of the team, then come to the damn games wherever they are played!! I'm paraphrasing a little, but that was the basic idea of his responses. We have a lot of power as a collective alumni/students/fan base, but we are squandering that power by not travelling out to the games and supporting the team. None of this is new news... we just now know that the AD agrees with it and has basically said as much publicly.

Bubba
Sophomore

Post by Bubba » Fri Nov 06, 2015 2:18 pm

Also, while said tongue in cheek, he did mention how if the students showed a want to goto Gillette, he would buy the buses to accommodate that need.

Hall of Fame

Post by 78 » Fri Nov 06, 2015 4:33 pm

Until this team starts to even resemble being competitive, no one will show up, especially at Gillette. My guess is there cannot be more than a couple hundred students at each game. Right now Gillette is a recipe for disaster. We can only hope that in the future it becomes much better.
Bamford has erased McCutcheon

njumass08
Hall of Fame

Post by njumass08 » Fri Nov 06, 2015 6:13 pm

Guys, let's be real here. Gillette is the only way we can schedule games against most teams.

Why is this even a topic? We have no choice. Please understand that.

I've stayed rather silent on this thread because there is no other option. We need Gillette and we are damn lucky to have it.
Looking forward to the 2022 UMass Football Season (Oh boy, just jinxed that one)

DrG
Senior

Post by DrG » Fri Nov 06, 2015 6:39 pm

Well, it's the only way we'll schedule home games against teams from P5 conferences. While 78 raises some valid points, I also don't want to let our crappy fan base off the hook.

Hall of Fame

Post by 78 » Fri Nov 06, 2015 9:28 pm

^^^^^^^^^

Until they win you won't get any students at Gillette, and even if they do start winning the number who travel from Amherst will still be limited. I understand we need Gillette to schedule P5 schools, but that doesn't mean big crowds and students attending. College football with no students in attendance is just not a fun thing. Sorry, but that's the truth.
Bamford has erased McCutcheon

Berkman
Hall of Fame

Post by Berkman » Fri Nov 06, 2015 9:53 pm

Yes. And with no students attending they don't become fans after they graduate. Need to find some way to correct that.

harbo
Hall of Fame

Post by harbo » Sat Nov 07, 2015 12:31 am

http://www.wsj.com/articles/at-college- ... 1409188244

A 2014 WSJ article on attendance. The interactive link within the article can be sorted by conference. The MAC (nor the AAC for that matter) does not present spectacular numbers.

MajBugman
Senior

Post by MajBugman » Sat Nov 07, 2015 12:39 am

Not many folks at the SMU/ Temple game tonight.
Raise the bar, do the minimum.

Marshmont_63
Senior

Post by Marshmont_63 » Sat Nov 07, 2015 2:58 am

MajBugman wrote:Not many folks at the SMU/ Temple game tonight.
Why would there be? SMU is 1-8 (0-5 Conference) on the season. I can't imagine they have very many fans right now.
“When people come to our building we want them to feel the house of P.A.I.N.” -- Chaz Williams

photoman
Senior

Post by photoman » Sat Nov 07, 2015 7:20 am

^Goes to show that you can't draw crowds if you're losing, even in a football "hotbed" state like Texas.

inthescoop
Hall of Fame

Post by inthescoop » Sat Nov 07, 2015 3:26 pm

^Amen (I felt a religious response would only be appropriate in regards to a Texas comment).

Rocks22
Hall of Fame

Post by Rocks22 » Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:22 pm

DrG wrote:Well, it's the only way we'll schedule home games against teams from P5 conferences. While 78 raises some valid points, I also don't want to let our crappy fan base off the hook.
I thought 78 WAS our crappy fanbase? :lol:

eldonabe
Hall of Fame

Post by eldonabe » Tue Nov 10, 2015 7:23 am

Marshmont_63 wrote:
MajBugman wrote:Not many folks at the SMU/ Temple game tonight.
Why would there be? SMU is 1-8 (0-5 Conference) on the season. I can't imagine they have very many fans right now.
Unfortunately a 1-8 SMU team would still beat the shit out of a 1-8 Umass team... :cry: