What BC FANS think about UMASS

Get ready for some MACtion
Malves21

Re: What BC FANS think about UMASS

Post by Malves21 » Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:08 am

I'm just trying to show you guys that the BC guys talk about the UMASS guys all the time. Thanks for attacking me... Here is another quote from their message board.
AGAIN ON THE BC MESSAGE BOARD NOT WRITTEN BY ME!!!!!!!!!!!!

"I still think the major issues are things Whipple has little control over...U Mass fans are not going to support this FB program in the MAC, the Sun Belt....go Independent? No way...it is an apathetic alumni, U Mass is where they got a degree, nothing more, I've found most U Mass alumni have very little emotional attachment to the university, much different attitude than BC alumni who are much more intense and proud of their BC connection....U Mass is brick and mortars to their alumni, a big building they went to 20 years ago to earn a degree and is now in the rear view mirror....and they don't care about the football program anyway and especially don't want to spend any of their own personal money supporting it. Their attitude is let taxes pay for the football program, Sorry, I don't want one dime of my tax money funding this absurd attempt at a major FB program in Amherst that is doomed to fail. Talk about a tax payer rip-off.

These attendance figures at Foxboro have been especially dismal and I also think they are very phony. I suspect U Mass is papering attendance to get over the 15,000 minimum average you must have in D1 per NCAA rules...BC actually helped them outa lot this season in average attendance as we brought at least 20,000+ to the opener.

I just don't see U Mass making it in D1 FB and I certainly don't want MA taxpayers to support this boondoggle. Enough is enough. This is like tax payer money going to fund a local Pop Warner team. Let U Mass set up a car wash to fund FB. Hopefully, in 5 years there is no U Mass FB.
This post was edited on 10/24 9:17 AM by Parcells"

njumass08
Hall of Fame

Post by njumass08 » Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:45 am

^

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Dude, you need to make that more clear next time. You know we're crazy here! hahaha
Looking forward to the 2022 UMass Football Season (Oh boy, just jinxed that one)

UMass87
Hall of Fame

Post by UMass87 » Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:48 am

Malves21 - make it clearer next time by using the quote tags (they are one of the buttons above the text area). It will then look like this:
some random BC douchebag wrote:UMass football sucks. BC football is great.
to identify the source you are quoting you need to put the name in double quotes like this:
some random BC douchebag wrote:

KahunaK
Senior

Post by KahunaK » Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:40 pm

UMASS fans should be ecstatic about these comment by the BC folks. It means they are watching and they are scared. If we were truly as irrelevant as they claim, they wouldn't bother trying to tear us down. They would ignore us. The more I hear these comments the more excited I get about UMASS. The other issue BC faces is that they have to focus their attention outward instead of inward since football success is not really happening for them.

Look at what is happening in Amherst. The football team just opened a great performance center, alumni are contributing to the program, we now have a great coach and the wins are coming (finally). The wind is in our sails and the future looks bright. Now Whipple needs to land a couple of big recruits and the momentum will be firmly established. As a result, the folks at the Heights and in Storrs have to be worrying. BC has a huge head start on UMASS as well as the $$ from being in a P5 conference. Are they really that much better than UMASS? The fall in Storrs from Sugar Bowl to Bottom 10 is even more stunning.

Had we won a couple of the other games and had bowl eligibility, the panic meter at BC would be through the roof. If UMASS football continues to win, I would expect some snarky articles in the Globe and a push to question the salaries of UMASS coaches. It shouldn't surprise any of us when we are attacked. It is an old story and getting older.

With the academics firmly on the upswing (Top 30 National Public University) and the football/basketball team making some noise, I assure you all the BC folks are suffering some serious heartburn and I it will get worse! GO UMASS!

Rolling Ridge
Junior

Post by Rolling Ridge » Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:40 pm

The comments from the BC fans are nothing new. We’ve seen the same stuff in comments on news articles, and honestly it’s not so different from what some posters here have said from time to time.

Some of these comments are not actually so outlandish. It is a very uncertain landscape in the NCAA, and going independent was not exactly what I had in mind when we moved up to the FBS level. And you can’t deny that thus far attendance at Gillette hasn’t been great. So there are issues.

But not dissimilar to my reaction when people post here that, “the experiment has failed,” I think it’s way too early to jump to any conclusions about what will happen. Things have a way of changing very quickly, and in very unexpected ways. We came incredibly close to being all MAC, but had we gone all MAC, it wouldn’t have been the MAC as it exists today. There were discussions behind the scenes about expansion that didn’t work out, and when it didn’t the MAC ceased to be viable for UMass and we walked away. But had it worked out, I think a lot of people would have been surprised at how it all looked.

There’s every reason to believe that discussions like that are happening behind the scenes right now, and that opportunities may present themselves. Or they may not, but no discussions would be happening if we were not in the situation we were in and at the FBS level. So we’re just going to have to let it play itself out and see what happens. I’m still not convinced that if the team starts winning that we can’t draw far better at Gillette, so I think it’s premature to say “the Gillette experiment has failed.” But I’m open to the possibility that it will prove to be a failure it they are winning and after a time we don’t see some attendance improvements. It just isn't going to happen immediately.

Finally, the point that so many including the BC people miss, is that implicit in our move to FBS is an acknowledgement that FCS is simply not viable. We did that for decades, and largely successfully, but all the evidence says that our football program is basically “starting from scratch” with vast numbers of alumni and students who have no tradition of caring about success at the FCS level. Coupled with the fact that FCS is a sure money loser, it should be obvious that FBS is the right place for UMASS unless we just want to drop football, which I acknowledge is a possibility if FBS really does prove non-viable.

But we’re a long way from that, and there’s every indication that even with the challenges we face, the program can make some significant positive strides in many areas in the relatively near future. So people can prognosticate all they want, but the fact is nobody knows what’s really going to happen. Least of all some BC fans on a blog site. Let’s let it play out for a while and see where it goes, see what the people responsible for making it work can do. We've had some mis-steps, but UMass is now definitely headed in the right direction. There’s no opportunity without challenges. It may fail, but failure is far from the certainty that some would have you believe.

OK, I’ll get off the soapbox now. :lol:

Jack
Senior

Post by Jack » Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:15 pm

why would anybody care about what bc fans think about anything? Obviously somebody over there has noticed that the UMass Football program is improving and on the rise and that bothers some of those morons. But we already knew that.

Please stop feeding this idiotic troll and Mods: please kill this idiotic thread.

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:18 pm

Jack wrote:Please stop feeding this idiotic troll and Mods: please kill this idiotic thread.
+100