Game 9: Toledo

Get ready for some MACtion
Rolling Ridge
Junior

Re: Game 9: Toledo

Post by Rolling Ridge » Tue Oct 28, 2014 2:45 pm

MajBugman wrote:Not picking on you ridge, I just went huh?

No worries. I just wanted to be clear about what I said, and didn't. Like I say, I was also surprised. But everything else this person told me about building plans has happened, or is in the works. So it wouldn't surprise me if there is a lurking issue there; but that isn't to say it couldn't be overcome if there was a will to do so.
MajBugman wrote:In my opinion they should blow up every brutalist building. It should be noted this was one of the shortest lived archetectual eras ever. Wonder if Max's house is brutalist. I can see him watching TV on his concrete couch.
LOL! Like you, I don't agree with Max's architectural sensibilities, and I wouldn't miss any of the brutalist UMass buildings; especially Whitmore which was built as a bunker to withstand student protests. It wouldn't bother me one bit if they tore down the McGuirk stands and rebuilt from scratch around the new press box and athletic facility. But lack of funds will likely dictate living with these monstrosities for as long as they are structurally viable. I'm happy they're preserving and renovating Old Chapel, and I think the renovation of South College and the new construction in place of Bartlett will be great.

My dad taught his entire career in Bartlett (ironically with Max's father) and served as Chair of the English Department twice, so I know that building very well. But it is best that it live in my memories. :)

Chris20
Hall of Fame

Post by Chris20 » Tue Oct 28, 2014 2:46 pm

I wish we had a brutalist defensive line.

njumass08
Hall of Fame

Post by njumass08 » Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:04 pm

MajBugman wrote:Wonder if Max's house is brutalist. I can see him watching TV on his concrete couch.
According to Google, this is Max's house.
EDIT - Because of outcry from some of the faithful here I have removed the Google image of Max's house.

If you would like to look at Max's house just as easily (but not on this website, because for some reason people think there is a difference about where you view it :? :roll: ), here is the Google link. You can check out his whole neighborhood if you like. https://www.google.com/maps/@42.37851,- ... 0Ei81A!2e0
Last edited by njumass08 on Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
Looking forward to the 2022 UMass Football Season (Oh boy, just jinxed that one)

baseline47
Senior

Post by baseline47 » Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:23 pm

Don't believe a prof. of architecture would go near this place, never mind live here.

There appears to be a keg stand in the foreground. Must be student housing.
"Drive the line!", "Baseline" Givens, Spfld. Tech. High.

harbo
Hall of Fame

Post by harbo » Tue Oct 28, 2014 5:08 pm

Every time I drive past JMU's stadium, I am impressed (and jealous) with the clean lines and updated look of their 25K seat facility. It once looked a lot like McGuirk, but now has a second deck and updated end zone seating (with the football facility behind the other end zone) and just looks nice. A funding campaign over several years and two years of construction did the trick.

And as for Max Page, his specialty is in historical architecture, and as such, may not be capable of seeing the big picture and what the future can bring. While he appreciates the brutalist architecture in its historical perspective, I still laugh at our campus' Soviet bloc buildings set against the cold gray skies, and still wonder if there are pockmarked walls from where the firing squad executions took place. Max doesn't appreciate the role of football and its potential for the school as I do not appreciate the cold gray architecture that he celebrates.

MV Digga
Junior

Post by MV Digga » Tue Oct 28, 2014 5:34 pm

Maybe the historical designation that would problematic to stadium expansion has nothing to do with McGuirk itself, but rather the surrounding area. Like that mini Stonehenge thing behind the stadium or some closeby wildlife designation we are unaware of.

njumass08
Hall of Fame

Post by njumass08 » Tue Oct 28, 2014 5:39 pm

baseline47 wrote:Don't believe a prof. of architecture would go near this place, never mind live here.

There appears to be a keg stand in the foreground. Must be student housing.
Ah, but he's not an architecture professor, he's and architecture history professor. Big difference. He just looks at buildings, he can't design them.

And yes, you can look up his address on google. Apparently that is his house. Needs some major landscaping.
Looking forward to the 2022 UMass Football Season (Oh boy, just jinxed that one)

Rocks22
Hall of Fame

Post by Rocks22 » Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:00 pm

njumass08 wrote: According to Google, this is Max's house.
Stalk much? I hope Page is filling out the required paperwork for a restraining order.

njumass08
Hall of Fame

Post by njumass08 » Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:43 pm

^
Someone asked what his house looks like, I typed his name into Google and his house came up.

Nothing special here guys, just typed his name and Amherst into Google. Takes all of 2 seconds.
MajBugman wrote:Wonder if Max's house is brutalist. I can see him watching TV on his concrete couch.
I really don't care what his house looks like, someone just asked about it.

njumass08
Hall of Fame

Post by njumass08 » Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:45 pm

I love when people are surprised that you can Google anyone's name and find out everything about them in 2 seconds.

MajBugman
Senior

Post by MajBugman » Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:09 pm

I have pictures of his dog naked.
Raise the bar, do the minimum.

dennisdent
Senior

Post by dennisdent » Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:16 pm

I grew up with Max through high school and have tried to forgot him--but he keeps coming back! He's keeping a low profile since Whip has become the coach. Must be that Ivy League thing.

jjmc85
Senior

Post by jjmc85 » Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:30 pm

ktabz16 wrote:I really don't think we need to be posting pictures of the guy's house on here.
I agree.
UMass Football: 22-3 at home when I was a student.

Leave the A-10!

Rolling Ridge
Junior

Post by Rolling Ridge » Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:22 pm

MV Digga wrote:Maybe the historical designation that would problematic to stadium expansion has nothing to do with McGuirk itself, but rather the surrounding area. Like that mini Stonehenge thing behind the stadium or some closeby wildlife designation we are unaware of.
That wasn't what I heard, it was specifically related to the building, not anything to do with the surrounding area.
dennisdent wrote:I grew up with Max through high school and have tried to forgot him--but he keeps coming back! He's keeping a low profile since Whip has become the coach. Must be that Ivy League thing.
I think he's on sabbatical. He'll be back, unfortunately.

The one I'm surprised we haven't heard more from this year is Dick Bogartz.

njumass08
Hall of Fame

Post by njumass08 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:17 am

jjmc85 wrote:
ktabz16 wrote:I really don't think we need to be posting pictures of the guy's house on here.
I agree.
Again. Someone asked what his house looked like so I typed his name and Amherst into Google and it came up in 2 seconds.

What's the difference of me posting the link to the Google search vs me posting the picture from Google??????????

It's the Internet people. Everything is available to anyone. This information is everywhere and readily available. It's not like I drove from NJ and followed Max home and took a picture of his house.

Come on people. Hahah. Don't be so worried. Your house is on the internet too.