Game 5 @ Bowling Green

Get ready for some MACtion
Jackman
Senior

Post by Jackman » Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:25 pm

I don't think there'd be much debate over who should be the QB if the stats were reversed. Doyle's performances against Kansas State and Vanderbilt were relatively encouraging, but there's no way to spin 4 of 17 for 20 yards. That's a terrible performance. Wegzyn's only performance that bad was, appropriately enough, also against Bowling Green, when he went 9 of 25 for 23 yards last year. Apparently we didn't learn anything from that game.

I'm with nj that it's not making a substantive difference right now who the QB is. 7 points is 7 points. I think the offense's problems go deeper than this. For now I'd give Doyle another go but with a faster hook, mainly because I see Wegzyn's shortcomings as entirely field vision-related, and he may benefit from coming in after seeing the opposing defense from the sideline first. He looked decisive today, prevent defense notwithstanding. Nothing else is working, so I'd be up for seeing whether Wegz can do that again without the game being so far gone. Though hopefully we won't find ourselves in that position against Miami.

rayers
Senior

Post by rayers » Sun Oct 06, 2013 12:33 am

I am not a football coach or expert in any way, but I can't help wonder how the team would do out of a pro set.

wmmmfan
Senior

Post by wmmmfan » Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:24 am

Completely agree Rayers.

Roadtrip
Hall of Fame

Post by Roadtrip » Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:51 am

Molnar needs to buy something that costs 75 cents, and pay for it with a dollar.

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:11 am

I'm very encouraged by our D, but they are going to keep struggling as games go on if every offensive set is 4 and out.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

njumass08
Hall of Fame

Post by njumass08 » Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:19 am

BGSU's defense completely owned our WR's as expected.

I'm not too worried. I didn't expect them to get open easily this week.

If they have the same trouble against Miami, then I'll be worried.

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:07 am

^

Ummm, it's not the first time it's happened...
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

Steve81
Hall of Fame

Post by Steve81 » Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:26 am

Here is Charlie's quote from John Wagner - Hampshire Gazzette
UMass did get 119 yards on the ground from sophomore running back Jamal Wilson, including a 51-yard burst that helped the Minutemen escape when they were pinned on their own 4 early in the second quarter.

But sophomore quarterback A.J. Doyle completed just 4-of-17 passes for 20 yards before he was replaced by sophomore Mike Wegzyn, who connected on 7-of-8 attempts for 76 yards.

Wegzyn led UMass on the drive that allowed them to avoid the shutout, leading them 71 yards in 10 plays. Wegzyn ran the ball four times for 28 yards and completed all four pass attempts for 53 yards, including a 24-yard TD toss to Tajae Sharpe.

“In A.J.’s defense, he was not close to 100 percent,” Molnar said. “I’d imagine by the beginning to the end of next week, he’ll be a lot better.

“I don’t want to go back and forth with our decision making, but what we’ll do is really monitor A.J.’s health. I think that’s the most important thing. If he can’t play to his fullest, then obviously Mike is the better choice for us.”
http://www.gazettenet.com/home/8811291- ... ling-green
Go UMass!!

njumass08
Hall of Fame

Post by njumass08 » Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:47 am

^

You could tell AJ was limping.

njumass08
Hall of Fame

Post by njumass08 » Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:48 am

InnervisionsUMASS wrote:^

Ummm, it's not the first time it's happened...
They did a pretty god job of getting open against Vandy though. Hopefully they can get back to that.

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Sun Oct 06, 2013 12:27 pm

Sorry, I was more referring to the O overall.

SignMan
Hall of Fame

Post by SignMan » Sun Oct 06, 2013 5:29 pm

Perhaps the Math Dept. could teach our QBs how to throw Fibonacci Spirals...
The angle of incidence = the angle of reflection: REBOUND!

jjmc85
Senior

Post by jjmc85 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:16 pm

I'm not going to read through this whole thread again, so I apologize if I repeat anything, but here's what I got:

1) I disliked the fact that UMass came out trying to throw the ball, and kept trying, and kept trying. IIRC, it took 3 or 4 series for the first designed run play, and UMass ran the ball well.
2) I officially hate the spread offense. Run the damn ball down people's throats and play tough D. Old time football!
3) Related, I'm really disappointed that the offense is taking a lot longer to jell than the defense. Wasn't Molnar an Offense-guy? Shouldn't this look better? On the bright side, once we figure this whole offense thing out, UMass will be a contender in the MAC.
4) I liked Bowling Green's Stadium. It's like McGuirk 2.0. Or maybe 1.5. It has in-door plumbing, permanent concession stands, a building by one end zone people can stand on the porch of and watch the game from, press boxes on one side and (I assume) luxury boxes on the other, and seats go down to the field. They were mostly bleachers but had a lot more chair back options. Same idea with McGuirk up high on the 50 on the home side, and the middle parts of each section on the road side. Also, the stands are curved so you're facing the 50 when you sit even if you have seats on the 10 like I did.
5) I had a really good time in spite of the loss. I advise everyone to take advantage of the road game tix if you can. I got to sit in the same section as all the players families and they all seemed really nice. Thankfully I didn't say anything bad about anyone's kid who was in the section. :D
UMass Football: 22-3 at home when I was a student.

Leave the A-10!

njumass08
Hall of Fame

Post by njumass08 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:22 pm

^

How were the BGSU fans? Nice to you guys?

jjmc85
Senior

Post by jjmc85 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:25 pm

njumass08 wrote:Also, I would love to see you guys coach the offense and see how you do.

Didn't realize we had so many coaches on this board. Your interview with McCutcheon didn't go so well?

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
I don't want to coach the offense. I don't even want to pick plays. I want to be able to pick when to run and when to pass. I'll let them pick specific plays, but I think anyone could see the run game was working and the passing game wasn't.
UMass Football: 22-3 at home when I was a student.

Leave the A-10!