Fire Ron Chimelis

Get ready for some MACtion
Bueno97
Sophomore

Post by Bueno97 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:05 am

I don't think the MAC is going to be issuing any ultimatums anytime soon, and if they did I think Umass might choose to be an independant for football rather than put all sports in the MAC. Now that Umass has made the move they do not need a conference. While it is obviously beneficial for financial and bowl invite purposes, it is no longer a necesity. The Umass athletic department has done an excellent job scheduling out-of-conference opponnents and I think we could have a very nice schedule if we were to play as an independant. Uconn, BC, and Temple have all already agreed to play us and might be willing to work out an annual or semi-annual series. I'm sure UNH would come to Gillette every year if invited. Home and home series against MAC, Sunbelt and AAC teams would be possible. Then throw in the 2 for 1's and pay day games we already play and it would be a very nice schedule and in some ways better than the schedule we currently play. I think we are in the A10 for as long as we want to be, and I am not worried about being forced into the MAC.

Chemical Ali
Senior

Post by Chemical Ali » Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:52 am

Bueno97 wrote:
Your cavalier and inappropriate use of terms like "junta" and "fascists" leads me to believe that you think this is a different issue then it really is. No one is having their civil rights or human rights violated. No one is being overthrown by a military coups. It's just a discussion about college football. Try to maintain the proper perspective.
Oh, dear god. :roll:

And, yes, people have VERY much framed the discussion in terms of UMass's survival as a relevant player in college sports. Try to maintain the proper perspective on the meaning of words.

LS71
Hall of Fame

Post by LS71 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:02 am

Chemical Ali wrote: Try to maintain the proper perspective on the meaning of words.
Words like "ruling junta"?
"Win without boasting, lose without crying." -- Julius Erving

jjmc85
Senior

Post by jjmc85 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:17 pm

Chris20 wrote:Sure, we can have that conversation.

I'm sure the MAC is "better" in some areas. But is it so much better that everyone will be fired up to be playing in a conference full of teams in Michigan and Ohio, or would most prefer the teams we are accustomed to playing and have history with? Is it so much better that the profile of those programs will be raised because we left the A10 for the Mighty Mac? Of course not. Competitively, it's probably a lateral move on a net basis for all sports. Practically, it sucks. We are an outlier in the MAC, we are the one thing that's not like the others.

Tough sell to say the MAC would be a better place to be for any sport. The only reason it's better for football is because they invited us.
Fair enough. I can appreciate the point about the historical rivals and also appreciate the acknowledgement that competitively when all sports are actually considered, the MAC and A-10 might be a lateral move.

Like I wrote earlier, I hope the agreement stays as it is.
UMass Football: 22-3 at home when I was a student.

Leave the A-10!

Chemical Ali
Senior

Post by Chemical Ali » Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:25 am

LS71 wrote:Words like "ruling junta"?
Boy, that thing with LS71 missing out on the whole being facetious thing was pretty unexpected. Touchy bunch here. Not real big fans of satire it appears.

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:37 am

Chemical Ali wrote: Boy, that thing with LS71 missing out on the whole being facetious thing was pretty unexpected. Touchy bunch here. Not real big fans of satire it appears.

Nah, the bunch here just aren't fans of pieces of shit like you. See you at Gillette tomorrow!!

EDIT: TODAY!
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

Chemical Ali
Senior

Post by Chemical Ali » Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:48 am

InnervisionsUMASS wrote:

EDIT: TODAY!
You got to get up pretty early to put one past IV.

LS71
Hall of Fame

Post by LS71 » Sat Sep 21, 2013 4:46 pm

Chemical Ali wrote:
LS71 wrote:Words like "ruling junta"?
Boy, that thing with LS71 missing out on the whole being facetious thing was pretty unexpected. Touchy bunch here. Not real big fans of satire it appears.
Apparently I'm not that smaht. :lol:
"Win without boasting, lose without crying." -- Julius Erving

njumass08
Hall of Fame

Post by njumass08 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:31 pm

(Deleted because it was a double post.)

Lil Bit Special

Post by Lil Bit Special » Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:32 pm

If all I can hope for is being a good MAC team and getting into insert name here bowl games, then no thanks. The fan support no matter where they play the games will never be strong since we arent playing for anything worthwhile. Very few people will give a damn if we're a good MAC team. They will care if we're in a real conference, and can actually compete with the good teams...which at this point will happen years down the road.

njumass08
Hall of Fame

Post by njumass08 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:39 pm

^

Huh? I am so confused by your post. Makes no sense. You have to be invited by a conference to move up, and the MAC invited us. So that's where we are starting.

I'm sorry if you miss the FCS playoffs. Sure, it was fun, but the FBS is a move up and a move in the right direction.

Things are about to get even crazier in college athletics. Trust me, you're going to be happy we made the move.

Jack
Senior

Post by Jack » Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:38 pm

njumass08 wrote:^

Huh? I am so confused by your post. Makes no sense. You have to be invited by a conference to move up, and the MAC invited us. So that's where we are starting.

I'm sorry if you miss the FCS playoffs. Sure, it was fun, but the FBS is a move up and a move in the right direction.

Things are about to get even crazier in college athletics. Trust me, you're going to be happy we made the move.
^+1 ...Troll

Lil Bit Special

Post by Lil Bit Special » Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:49 pm

njumass08 wrote:^

1. I dont miss the FCS playoffs or being a 1-AA team. Didnt care about the team then, barely care now we play big boy football.

What is confusing? UMass alumni and students will never support the football team as long as we're not competing for a championship. We will be stuck in the MAC and never get a chance to move up to a better conference because barely anyone cares. And if all we're going to be is stuck in the MAC then this entire process was a waste of time and resources.

And no matter what changes happen in the college football landscape, we will never be at the big table because we dont have the fans, market size, or the passion that will appeal to conferences looking to expand so they can maximize their $$$ from the networks.

But enough of my bitching. Enjoy the football team. Have fun at the games.

njumass08
Hall of Fame

Post by njumass08 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:25 am

^

I like the last three sentences. That sums it up pretty well. It's a lot of fun. It's a fun day at Gillette and it will be a fun day at McGuirk again next year. I don't know how anyone could not like eating food and drinking beer outside with a bunch of friends while listening to music and then heading into a stadium to watch a football game.

I disagree with your opinion of MAC football, but I am not going to argue with you because I've learned that arguing about the football team with people who don't watch college football is pointless.

gosox22
Junior

Post by gosox22 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:24 pm

njumass08 wrote:It's a fun day at Gillette and it will be a fun day at McGuirk again next year. I don't know how anyone could not like eating food and drinking beer outside with a bunch of friends while listening to music and then heading into a stadium to watch a football game.
Just wanted to reiterate this statement.