Going big time!

Get ready for some MACtion
njumass08
Hall of Fame

Post by njumass08 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:47 am

^

Just for the record, I drove 18 hours to Chattanooga for the National Championship game in 2006, and I drive from NJ for every home game at Gillette.

I'll always support this team, no matter what.

Hall of Fame

Post by 78 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:48 am

Roadtrip wrote:Imagine the clamor if Maine puts a whuppin on UMass.
This would not be a disaster, but it would come as close as one possibly can without it being a disaster.
Bamford has erased McCutcheon

eldonabe
Hall of Fame

Post by eldonabe » Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:01 pm

Chemical Ali wrote:I'm not fighting any battle. I realize UMass football is D1 to stay and the Max Page approach is not helpful. But I don't need shitty MAC football, shitty attendance that puts us at the risk of probation, or even the promise of an eventual Car Quest Bowl to get excited about the program. I'd rather we were in the mix for a national championship at a lower level than getting our ass handed to us by programs that will do nothing to raise our national profile or bring the fans out. The wave of first week upsets and the related link that has njumass so upset is a reminder that some fans don't need the "big time" label to get excited about their school. Many of the program's supporters have always been there and will continue to be, whether it is traveling to Chattanooga to watch us win the National Championship or out to Madison to watch that painful drubbing. But guys like njumass obviously need the bright lights of an empty Gillette to get behind UMass football.
This is blasphemy!

Are you suggesting that it is actually OK to be an FCS school and be exited about our football team playing other teams in our geographic area [that we may have heard of], and that we have a chance of beating (or at least hanging with).... absolute blasphemy......

You really didn't enjoy watching Umass lose 45-0? Are you high sir? They played football on the same field against the B1G and didn't spike themselves! I believe they actually almost scored 3 frigging points forchrissakes. I call that progress sir... progress.....

The next thing you know, you are going to tell me that the D1AA National Championship they won was actually an NCAA Title and not merely a participation trophy akin to playing in the CBI basketball tourney.

I don't like you any more.........you are just a hater!

There is just no room for logic and reason around here any more!
Last edited by eldonabe on Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CrooksisRhyming
Senior

Post by CrooksisRhyming » Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:23 pm

The word is "blasphemy."
"Wherever I go, I’ll never be bashful about being from UMass, baby.” -Victor Cruz

Jackman
Senior

Post by Jackman » Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:17 pm

Chemical Ali wrote:But I don't need shitty MAC football, shitty attendance that puts us at the risk of probation, or even the promise of an eventual Car Quest Bowl to get excited about the program. I'd rather we were in the mix for a national championship at a lower level than getting our ass handed to us by programs that will do nothing to raise our national profile or bring the fans out.
You've had this account since 2003 and have posted in a grand total of 5 threads on the Football Board, this one included. The only topics of interest to you have been the FBS move and not firing Kevin Morris ahead of the FBS move, I suspect because that would imply that firing our bad football coach was a higher priority to the university than firing our struggling basketball coach.

So I don't believe you when you say you'd rather be in the mix for a national championship at a lower level. You didn't follow our FCS team other than check the occasional box score. What your body of work here suggests is that you'd rather have football in a lower subdivision to assure its subordinate status to the basketball program.

If there's going to be any FCS nostalgia, it should be left to the people who were passionate about the FCS program but for whatever reason are not about the FBS program. You're not in the club. I'm not sure who is, other than the folks who mainly just resent moving the games to Gillette.

njumass08
Hall of Fame

Post by njumass08 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:24 pm

eldonabe wrote:
Chemical Ali wrote:I'm not fighting any battle. I realize UMass football is D1 to stay and the Max Page approach is not helpful. But I don't need shitty MAC football, shitty attendance that puts us at the risk of probation, or even the promise of an eventual Car Quest Bowl to get excited about the program. I'd rather we were in the mix for a national championship at a lower level than getting our ass handed to us by programs that will do nothing to raise our national profile or bring the fans out. The wave of first week upsets and the related link that has njumass so upset is a reminder that some fans don't need the "big time" label to get excited about their school. Many of the program's supporters have always been there and will continue to be, whether it is traveling to Chattanooga to watch us win the National Championship or out to Madison to watch that painful drubbing. But guys like njumass obviously need the bright lights of an empty Gillette to get behind UMass football.
This is blasphemy!

Are you suggesting that it is actually OK to be an FCS school and be exited about our football team playing other teams in our geographic area [that we may have heard of], and that we have a chance of beating (or at least hanging with).... absolute blasphemy......

You really didn't enjoy watching Umass lose 45-0? Are you high sir? They played football on the same field against the B1G and didn't spike themselves! I believe they actually almost scored 3 frigging points forchrissakes. I call that progress sir... progress.....

The next thing you know, you are going to tell me that the D1AA National Championship they won was actually an NCAA Title and not merely a participation trophy akin to playing in the CBI basketball tourney.

I don't like you any more.........you are just a hater!

There is just no room for logic and reason around here any more!
Welcome to the Eldon and Ali Show!!!!

njumass08
Hall of Fame

Post by njumass08 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:29 pm

CrooksisRhyming wrote:The word is "blasphemy."
For some reason I don't think Eldon and Ali are going to be signing up for a 247Sports account. Whatcha think Crooks? :wink:

Chemical Ali
Senior

Post by Chemical Ali » Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:49 pm

Jackman wrote:
You've had this account since 2003 ....
Feel free to check your PM, scumbag.

You have been registered since 2006 and I see no posting history or evidence that you take a firm anti-fascism and anti-racism stand. I can only conclude that you believe in ethnic cleansing.

njumass08
Hall of Fame

Post by njumass08 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:56 pm

^

I think someone who uses the name "Chemical Ali" probably shouldn't be accusing people of believing in ethnic cleansing.

Chemical Ali
Senior

Post by Chemical Ali » Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:59 pm

njumass08 wrote:^

I think someone who uses the name "Chemical Ali" probably shouldn't be accusing people of believing in ethnic cleansing.
Who is accusing? It is established. The lack of posting history proves it. Jackman is a member of the National Front and I "don't believe " any claim otherwise.

Jackman
Senior

Post by Jackman » Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:51 pm

Chemical Ali wrote:
Jackman wrote:
You've had this account since 2003 ....
Feel free to check your PM, scumbag.

You have been registered since 2006 and I see no posting history or evidence that you take a firm anti-fascism and anti-racism stand. I can only conclude that you believe in ethnic cleansing.
Your PM was rude, and unbecoming of a UMass fan.

In your own words in 2011, on page 27 of the Fire Morris thread, you wrote:
"I don't follow the football team all that closely. I read the articles and watch the scores, but..."

Those are not the words of a passionate supporter of FCS football. That's about the level at which I follow the softball team. I check the scores, and maybe pull up the video in the playoffs if it's free.

So for you to come to this forum that you very rarely participate in to start a new thread so that you can talk about how MAC/FBS football doesn't "excite" you comes off as completely insincere, given that the FCS level didn't excite you enough to actually watch it. What other conclusion would you suggest we draw?

njumass08
Hall of Fame

Post by njumass08 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:27 pm

njumass08
Hall of Fame

Post by njumass08 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:28 pm

I think we can lock this thread now.
Last edited by njumass08 on Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Refuse2Lose83
Hall of Fame

Post by Refuse2Lose83 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:39 pm

As much as I enjoy this show above (seriously I do enjoy it) I'm going offer my own personal feelings on the subject of FCS vs FBS:

I miss playing in the CAA and in Amherst 5-6 times every fall. I loved watching our guys compete for the CAA title and the FCS playoffs and beyond. I don't think ever playing in any of these bowls which the MAC is eligible will ever get me as excited as FCS playoffs. I won't know that for a fact until that actually happens. I'm sure I will enjoy competing for MAc championships, and will grow to really enjoy MAc competition as it becomes more familiar (I like it this year already more than last). I don't thin I'll ever support playing at Gillette, I love games in Amherst and feel football games should be played on campus if possible. I understand the reasons why we moved up, and quite honestly at the time I thought if we didn't move up we probably would of went the route of URI (or the route they were planning/are they still leaving the CAA?) because the CAA was/is losing members near us.

Regardless, I'll always support UMass football. I miss the days of being a top 10 FCS team and competing in the CAA, but what I really miss is competitive football and am hoping we see those days sooner than later regardless of what division we are in. LETS GO UMASS
Hire Matt McCall!

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:59 pm

Oh this got real good real quick.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades