UMass Football Ambassadors

Get ready for some MACtion
InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Wed May 29, 2013 11:18 am

BINGO!

This whole eastern mass vs western mass thing is ridiculous and bullshit. People drive 4 hours one way to see games at other big time schools. MA is not even that large from Boston to Stockbridge. 5 Saturdays a year, get your ass in the car and drive to Amherst or drive to Gillette.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

SignMan
Hall of Fame

Post by SignMan » Wed May 29, 2013 11:50 am

let me think...how many times did I drive to Delaware and outside Philly for football?

Anyone else (of course) ever do the MA to Orono yawn drive?

GET WITH IT!
The angle of incidence = the angle of reflection: REBOUND!

SignMan
Hall of Fame

Post by SignMan » Wed May 29, 2013 11:57 am

tonite's sign-up being added to, near, but not quite, the 125 limit
(# based on the facilities website info)...

good to see at least one AA BOD member...newly elected for July 1 onset...
signed up...and someone I know is a hoops and football long-time season tix holder.

SJGMoney
Junior

Post by SJGMoney » Wed May 29, 2013 3:08 pm

InnervisionsUMASS wrote:
SJGMoney wrote:With no offense to any Western Mass people on here, we don't need football ambassadors out there. We need them in the eastern part of the state as not enough people are aware, accustomed or enthusiastic about UMass football.

That's not true at all. We need them out there as much as we need them out here. We need people who live out there who are passionate about UMASS Football to trumpet the program and convince people that it is a good idea to travel east to see the program. You're completely making OC's argument valid with that attitude as well.
Let me word this a different way before I get the famous eyeroll: we need them out East a hell of a lot more than out West. There are more people in the East period. There are more Alumni, period. And there are definitely more un-informed people out East, period.
UMass '87

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Wed May 29, 2013 3:50 pm

^

You're completely and utterly missing the point. See you in an hour or so!
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

Old Cage
Hall of Fame

Post by Old Cage » Wed May 29, 2013 6:28 pm

"Jack didn’t have any envy in him," Calipari said. "He was the greatest coach to ever coach here."

njumass08
Hall of Fame

Post by njumass08 » Wed May 29, 2013 7:44 pm

^

How was it?

Jack
Senior

Post by Jack » Wed May 29, 2013 8:10 pm

Nice event Coach Molnar was excellent and it was great to meet him. Nice to meet some new friends at the Alumni event and tour of Fenway - Good event!!

njumass08
Hall of Fame

Post by njumass08 » Wed May 29, 2013 8:29 pm

^

Did they say anything about needing help from out of state folks?

Rolling Ridge
Junior

Post by Rolling Ridge » Wed May 29, 2013 8:47 pm

njumass08 wrote:^

Did they say anything about needing help from out of state folks?
Not specifically, but there may be ways for out of state folks to get involved. The basic idea is to get a core of supporters active in organizing groups and generating excitement about the program in order to get people into seats in the short run. They have some longer term fan development ideas, but short run they need to do everything they can to get folks out to the games, and they are hoping fans like us can help with that.

My wife and I aren't super plugged in to be able to organize large groups, but there may be some things we can do to help get the word out, or to help in some events where the Athletic and Marketing folks are trying to reach out to specific groups (band programs, for example). So there seem to be different way to get involved, and they seemed to be open to ideas about different approaches. We signed up and will see how it develops. If you're interested, contact the Athletic Department or the Alumni Association, I'm sure they'd try to find ways to put motivated fans to work.

It was a nice event, and Molnar really was well-spoken. The Fenway tour was cool. It's nice to see them trying to do outreach like this and try some marketing approaches that will hopefully net more attendance. It may not be all figured out and perfect at first, but I'm game to try and help, as it seems are others, which is great.

Steve81
Hall of Fame

Post by Steve81 » Wed May 29, 2013 10:08 pm

Very nice OC, will see if the image displays.
Go UMass!!

photoman
Senior

Post by photoman » Thu May 30, 2013 5:51 am

Some photos at the Maroon Musket. www.maroonmusket.com

gosox22
Junior

Post by gosox22 » Thu May 30, 2013 7:19 am

So what specifically did they go over? What's the role they are trying to have us fill as ambassadors? I think I read they will have a more formal "training" at Gillette in a few weeks? I was supposed to go to the event but was stuck at work until 8pm.

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Thu May 30, 2013 7:36 am

Nice little event, and having the World Series trophies and the tour was a nice touch. They were light on the actual ideas and roles of the ambassadors... basically laid it out as wanting a true grass roots campaign to get people out to the game. More info will be given out to people who signed up to be ambassadors on June 13th at Gillette.

njumass - I forgot to ask about the out of state help, my apologies. One idea that comes to mind, though, is to work with the local alumni group down there and see if you can plan a caravan style trip up for a game with a large group. Maybe a bus trip or people with their own cars. Get a hotel in the area and stay the night so you can head back on Sunday. That might help.

SignMan
Hall of Fame

Post by SignMan » Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:41 pm

69MG wrote:They are also having one in Amherst at ABC.
https://secure.www.alumniconnections.co ... _id=151949
Reminder again...
sign-up list only @ 37 now, including the TBD guests...
The Boston event had about 30% no-shows from its sign-up...
so, this one needs some late assistance in the form of more warm bodies...

Go UMass!