McGuirk Upgrade

Ringing the Bell on a new era of UM Football.
McKinney
Senior
Posts: 1171
Joined: Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:12 pm
Location: Alabama

Re: McGuirk Upgrade

Post by McKinney » Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:50 am

McG made the list on FivePoint's Worst College Football Stadiums (Pt 2) video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hzw9PgZr0C8
From the air, this stadium doesn’t look that terrible, but then you realize that this is one of the worst FBS stadiums in existence. UMass turned down the option of being in the MAC in 2015 then got kicked out of Foxboro where they had been playing their home games. Then ended up in this cold dilapidated stadium that looks like it has as much atmosphere as Mars. Since declining to be in the MAC, the Minutemen have been an Independent FBS team and it’s not surprising why there are no conferences willing to take them. *clip of Mike Wegzyn throwing a pick-six against UConn in 2012*
Class of 2019 - @StatsMass

Berkman
Hall of Fame
Posts: 5570
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2005 2:38 pm
Location: Mooresville, NC
Contact:

Re: McGuirk Upgrade

Post by Berkman » Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:57 am

McKinney wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:50 am
McG made the list on FivePoint's Worst College Football Stadiums (Pt 2) video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hzw9PgZr0C8
From the air, this stadium doesn’t look that terrible, but then you realize that this is one of the worst FBS stadiums in existence. UMass turned down the option of being in the MAC in 2015 then got kicked out of Foxboro where they had been playing their home games. Then ended up in this cold dilapidated stadium that looks like it has as much atmosphere as Mars. Since declining to be in the MAC, the Minutemen have been an Independent FBS team and it’s not surprising why there are no conferences willing to take them. *clip of Mike Wegzyn throwing a pick-six against UConn in 2012*
There are a few errors in the statement above. We left the MAC because if we stayed in it we would have to move ALL sports into the MAC and that would hurt the BB program big time because the MAC usually only gets one team into the playoffs. Not good for U MAss.

We did not get kicked out of Foxboro. We need to have as many games on campus as possible so students don't have to travel for an hour to go to the games. An occasional game like the BYU game this year is OK to do.

The new coach and some of his assistants are recruiting some big defensive JC players and they are having a bunch on campus this weekend. With the reference to the stadium being cold what do you expect for an open stadium in the northeast. It is usually cold there in the late fall.

Once we start winning under coach Bell we will get into the AAC conference and once we do that the athletic department can hopefully get money to implement one of the three plans to expand the stadium and install hand rails. From what I have heard years ago that in order to install hand rails they have to take off 6 " from each row of seats to make the stairs wide enough for the hand rails.

Sheck
Senior
Posts: 1248
Joined: Fri Oct 01, 2004 12:13 am
Location: NH

Re: McGuirk Upgrade

Post by Sheck » Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:23 am

Actually feel a little bit better about McGuirk after watching that video. Definitely more salvageable than a lot of the other stadiums in the video. Some of the FCS stadiums on there are LOL bad.
One if by land, two if by slam!

minutefanjsf
Senior
Posts: 1727
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:17 am

Re: McGuirk Upgrade

Post by minutefanjsf » Sun Dec 16, 2018 1:19 pm

Sheck wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:23 am
Actually feel a little bit better about McGuirk after watching that video. Definitely more salvageable than a lot of the other stadiums in the video. Some of the FCS stadiums on there are LOL bad.
McGuirk is literally a foundation or skeleton, however you want to look at it. The area around the stands are a blank slate and there is a lot of room to build ancillary build gins and concourses.

Berkman
Hall of Fame
Posts: 5570
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2005 2:38 pm
Location: Mooresville, NC
Contact:

Re: McGuirk Upgrade

Post by Berkman » Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:05 pm

Link to an article on the Athletic Site on upgrade:

https://umassathletics.com/news/2018/12 ... -gift.aspx

photoman
Senior
Posts: 952
Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2003 8:25 pm
Location: Attleboro

Re: McGuirk Upgrade

Post by photoman » Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:22 am

minutefanjsf wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 1:19 pm
Sheck wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:23 am
Actually feel a little bit better about McGuirk after watching that video. Definitely more salvageable than a lot of the other stadiums in the video. Some of the FCS stadiums on there are LOL bad.
McGuirk is literally a foundation or skeleton, however you want to look at it. The area around the stands are a blank slate and there is a lot of room to build ancillary build gins and concourses.
It may be a "foundation" but is it a solid foundation?

McKinney
Senior
Posts: 1171
Joined: Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:12 pm
Location: Alabama

Re: McGuirk Upgrade

Post by McKinney » Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:25 pm

photoman wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:22 am
It may be a "foundation" but is it a solid foundation?
I'd think so. Why put money into it now if we're gonna need to blow it up in less than a decade?

And if it's not, then McGuirk was really poorly designed and/or UMass neglected it. Among FBS schools it's not even that old of a stadium. The overwhelming majority of FBS stadiums (~90 stadiums) were built prior to or during the era that McGuirk was built.
Class of 2019 - @StatsMass

photoman
Senior
Posts: 952
Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2003 8:25 pm
Location: Attleboro

Re: McGuirk Upgrade

Post by photoman » Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:14 pm

@McKinney- I would think that UMass poorly designing that stadium and cheaply building it (not to mention the ravages of time) could be completely within the realm of possibility. To even call it a "stadium" is quite a stretch, for what's really nothing more than two slabs of concrete with bench seats. I believe it was someone on this board who was a structural engineer and mentioned the limited "New England" life of concrete. Freeze/thaw cycles over the years etc.

User avatar
InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame
Posts: 14808
Joined: Fri Apr 04, 2003 1:32 am
Location: Milford, MA
Contact:

Re: McGuirk Upgrade

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:21 pm

^

Or you can call it a stadium.


sta·di·um
noun
noun: stadium; plural noun: stadia; plural noun: stadiums
1.
a sports arena with tiers of seats for spectators.
synonyms: arena, field, ground; More
(in ancient Rome or Greece) a track for a foot race or chariot race.


Sounds like a stadium to me!
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

photoman
Senior
Posts: 952
Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2003 8:25 pm
Location: Attleboro

Re: McGuirk Upgrade

Post by photoman » Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:35 pm

@Innervisions- Ok I see the connection....ancient Rome, ancient Greece and ancient Hadley!

User avatar
InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame
Posts: 14808
Joined: Fri Apr 04, 2003 1:32 am
Location: Milford, MA
Contact:

Re: McGuirk Upgrade

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:40 pm

Just pointing out that it is, in fact, a stadium. It may be a shitty stadium, but it is one none the less.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

User avatar
MJatUM
Hall of Fame
Posts: 4408
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:46 pm
Location: Attleboro

Re: McGuirk Upgrade

Post by MJatUM » Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:47 pm

photoman wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:35 pm
@Innervisions- Ok I see the connection....ancient Rome, ancient Greece and ancient Hadley!
Hey at least ancient Rome had aqueducts... A welcome upgrade in 2019 !!?!?

capezona
Senior
Posts: 1818
Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:59 pm
Location: Peoria, AZ and Dennisport, MA

Re: McGuirk Upgrade

Post by capezona » Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:57 pm

17th worst according to moneywise.

https://moneywise.com/a/ch-b/worst-stad ... l+Stadiums

"McGuirk Alumni Stadium is relatively puny, holding only 17,000 fans. And yet the place is often a little empty, as UMass struggles on and off the field.
It's an OK place to watch a game, but it can be downright miserable in any weather, particularly on cold autumn nights in central Massachusetts.
The more than 50-year-old stadium received a decent renovation in 2014 but is still showing its age. One Google user's review is just one word: 'Yuck.'"

Old-School
Sophomore
Posts: 247
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2003 8:40 pm

Re: McGuirk Upgrade

Post by Old-School » Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:44 am

^^^haha Central Mass

User avatar
InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame
Posts: 14808
Joined: Fri Apr 04, 2003 1:32 am
Location: Milford, MA
Contact:

Re: McGuirk Upgrade

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:47 am

T-Mobile is handing out cash for stadium naming rights... need to get in on that somehow!
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

Post Reply