McGuirk Upgrade

Whip'ing the program back into shape.
Rolling Ridge
Sophomore

Re: McGuirk Upgrade

Post by Rolling Ridge » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:34 am

It is almost unthinkable that they would relocate the football stadium, especially if they complete the IPF. I think their goal is to use the IPF as an anchor point for more development in that area, possibly athletic-focused dorms or other future buildings. So if that gets done, I think that will seal it, if it's not already sealed by the structures they have already built.

In any case, the IPF is the priority now, not McGuirk seating expansion (unless they add some non-structural seats as they are allowed to do). I think the key is to have a plan in place should a conference come knocking, and be able to demonstrate that within a certain period of time we can meet any structural requirements (of which the IPF will play a role in visiting team locker rooms).

But I don't think there will be any move to expand McGuirk until the attendance numbers force the issue, or they have to do it as part of a conference affiliation. And if they do expand McGuirk, it will be on its present site.

Jack
Senior

Post by Jack » Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:42 am

McGuirk Stadium is over 50 yrs old, has never been renovated and it is visibly crumbling. Its a lousy facility that poorly services the customers / fans. I don't blame people (students) for not being overly excited to attend games at the current facility. One way or another, the current McGuirk Stadium's days are numbered. I'm personally not okay with deferring a stadium upgrade for an IPF.

Bridgeforth at JMU was comparable to McGuirk and my guess is that UM will do what JMU did: Demolish the East Stands and Spend about 50M-70M on fully upgrading the East Side w/boxes etc.

Berkman
Hall of Fame

Post by Berkman » Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:50 pm

^ ^
From what has been said in the past the area west of the stadium is planned to be used for the indoor practice facility for many sports they want to build someday.

minutefanjsf
Senior

Post by minutefanjsf » Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:04 pm

Berkman wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:50 pm
^ ^
From what has been said in the past the area west of the stadium is planned to be used for the indoor practice facility for many sports they want to build someday.
Yes but, the press box is in the west stands. All preliminary drawings that were released showed building up the east side with a Putnam style club.

minutefanjsf
Senior

Post by minutefanjsf » Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:05 pm

minutefanjsf wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:04 pm
Berkman wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:50 pm
^ ^
Yes but, the press box is in the west stands. All preliminary drawings that were released showed building up the east side with a Putnam style club.
The question is whether doing that would bring the whole place into ADA compliance. Also, it was preliminary a couple of years ago and things change.

Berkman
Hall of Fame

Post by Berkman » Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:04 pm

If I remember correctly It was mentioned as late as the AD's latest 1 hour or so pitch to fans. As long as it does not physically attach to the stadium as the press box and locker facility are nothing has to be done to bring the stadium up to date.

photoman
Senior

Post by photoman » Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:46 pm

New stadium should indeed be built...and relocated to Springfield. With proper infrastructure and easy highway access. The whole "on-campus" thing is overrated. It's 6 games per year. Board the buses!

Berkman
Hall of Fame

Post by Berkman » Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:38 pm

Not going to happen.

wmmmfan
Junior

Post by wmmmfan » Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:59 pm

I agree Photoman, Springfield would be the ideal location for a Public/Private project of 25-35K seat multi use facility. With Hartford having built a baseball stadium Springfield will probably never see minor league baseball so a facility which could host football, soccer, and concerts would fit nicely with MGM and MM Center. Besides, our construction working community could use the jobs once the highway project and MGM are completed this year.

m626t
Senior

Post by m626t » Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:19 pm

/\

Seems like traffic would be a nightmare if 15,000+ fans ever showed up, no?
All due respect, and I mean that from the bottom of my heart, I'm gonna pass.

sloves90_611
Freshman

Post by sloves90_611 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:28 am

photoman wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:46 pm
New stadium should indeed be built...and relocated to Springfield. With proper infrastructure and easy highway access. The whole "on-campus" thing is overrated. It's 6 games per year. Board the buses!
This is not the right move.
I don’t really like games at Gillete either, tbh. It’s quicker to get from Logan to Gillete than it is to get from Amherst to Gillete, not only does this hurt student attendance, but it also makes it, essentially, an away game seeing as we have to travel farther (by bus) than the other team (usually).
College Athletics belong on or very close to college campuses, that’s why it’s called college athletics.

pk77
Freshman

Post by pk77 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:54 am

Save the state money and put the 70 million and invest it in getting a better team to put on the field. Kraft is allowing us to use Gillette and what better place is there to have a football game and if you have a good team, attendance will rise at Foxboro and be more than Amherst. Students at Umass do not go to games.... and don't count the students that just tailgate and never go into the stadium... you have to tailor to the non students.. they are the ones that will pay higher ticket prices and also will be the ones that will donate to the program. Please tell me why we want to tailor to the students.. give me some stats that show how many paying students attend games.
We need more donors to the football program so that Whipple has some money to get good assistant coaches, he is forced to a tight budget and thus has to hire assistants with very little or low level experience, his staff is made of a lot of ex players at Umass as that was all he could afford. Again we need to focus on getting the team better and you do that first by getting a top notch coaching staff that knows how to recruit and coach - up players and allows Whipple to be a head coach ( he is the offensive coach only because he doesn't have the budget to hire a good offensive coach, !!!). If we get a good team Foxboro will work and the donations will come rolling in.. it will never happen in Amherst.

photoman
Senior

Post by photoman » Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:53 am

wmmmfan wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:59 pm
I agree Photoman, Springfield would be the ideal location for a Public/Private project of 25-35K seat multi use facility. With Hartford having built a baseball stadium Springfield will probably never see minor league baseball so a facility which could host football, soccer, and concerts would fit nicely with MGM and MM Center. Besides, our construction working community could use the jobs once the highway project and MGM are completed this year.
Pushing for this would have been a very smart move. Football stadiums up north are a truly questionable expense when they're used 6 days per year.

minutefanjsf
Senior

Post by minutefanjsf » Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:45 am

photoman wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:53 am
wmmmfan wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:59 pm
Pushing for this would have been a very smart move. Football stadiums up north are a truly questionable expense when they're used 6 days per year.
A new football stadium on campus can be a multi use stadium as well as hosting local HS and youth events. If a stadium is built off campus Springfield would be a nightmare IMO. Worcester or somewhere where the mass pike is the main way to get there will allow easier travel for people from the east. However, I think in campus is the way to go.

Old Cage
Hall of Fame

Post by Old Cage » Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:14 am

For us and, I assume, for many alums, going to the campus/the Valley for the day or the weekend is a main reason for purchasing season tickets every year. It's not just about football. I kept the tickets through the Gillette experience, and was very happy when it ended, even though Gillette is a lot shorter drive. Once a year there is just fine.

For us, Springfield or Worcester or "somewhere off the Mass Pike" would be a terrible decision.
"Jack didn’t have any envy in him," Calipari said. "He was the greatest coach to ever coach here."