McGuirk Upgrade

Get ready for some MACtion
Steve81
Hall of Fame

Re: McGuirk Upgrade

Post by Steve81 » Sat Dec 16, 2023 11:04 am

Jumped on the JMU expansion as they were CAA, like us and had a more primative stadium as well. Plus David Biancamano while at Rice (2011-13), Biancamano served as the Director of Development and led fundraising on a $31.5 million football facility expansion and $9 million tennis center project. During his second stint at JMU from 2008-11, Biancamano was the primary fundraiser for the Memorial Stadium Project ($9.5 million new baseball and softball complex), and he was a member of the team that raised capital funds for the Campaign for Bridgeforth Stadium ($62 million football stadium enhancement).
Go UMass!!

Quann
Hall of Fame

Post by Quann » Sat Dec 16, 2023 1:48 pm

harbo wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 11:21 pm Just curious... Do any of you like watching games from an end zone seat?
I was lucky enough to have a dad who was a buyer for a power company. He would get treated to Jets tickets at Shea Stadium in the upper deck behind the end zone. We were up a ways, but we got to see the plays opening up, just like they we drawn up. Don't know if we would have appreciated seeing the same from lower viewpoints.
My family has had end zone seats for the pats since Gillette opened. I like the view. We’re in section 140 so kind of in the corner.

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Sat Dec 16, 2023 2:41 pm

I went to the Army game and the UMass tickets were in the end zone. I liked the view as we were halfway up. We could see the whole field and the scoreboard gave us a closeup view if anything important happened down the other end. Of course, all of our touchdowns were scored at our end, so it was very special.

Quann
Hall of Fame

Post by Quann » Sat Dec 16, 2023 3:11 pm

eldonabe wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 4:51 am
harbo wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 11:21 pm Just curious... Do any of you like watching games from an end zone seat?
I was lucky enough to have a dad who was a buyer for a power company. He would get treated to Jets tickets at Shea Stadium in the upper deck behind the end zone. We were up a ways, but we got to see the plays opening up, just like they we drawn up. Don't know if we would have appreciated seeing the same from lower viewpoints.
Ends and sides are great for football … corners not so much
Corners are not bad at all for football in the lower section of a stadium which is where ours would be.

Berkman
Hall of Fame

Post by Berkman » Sun Dec 17, 2023 4:51 pm

No regular place to put this but the Carolina Panthers were only charging .45 cents to sit in the third balcony seating in the pouring rain.

shizzle787
Freshman

Post by shizzle787 » Sun Dec 17, 2023 8:38 pm

UMass should not increase capacity at McGuirk. UMass has not sold out a home game there since 2014 against Bowling Green. Before that, the prior sellout was against New Hampshire in the 2006 FCS quarterfinals. Prior to that, I don't even know. Going back to 1982 (the last year Wikipedia includes all attendance figures) they did not have another sellout. So in 40+ years, there have been two sellouts at a 17,000-seat stadium. Increasing capacity would be a massive waste of money. Decreasing capacity to 12-14k and significantly increasing amenities would be the way to go.

That would result in a much better game day experience.

Berkman
Hall of Fame

Post by Berkman » Sun Dec 17, 2023 9:10 pm

But isn't a requirement of the NCAA that to remain a 1A school you need to be able to seat 30,000?

Quann
Hall of Fame

Post by Quann » Sun Dec 17, 2023 9:32 pm

shizzle787 wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 8:38 pm UMass should not increase capacity at McGuirk. UMass has not sold out a home game there since 2014 against Bowling Green. Before that, the prior sellout was against New Hampshire in the 2006 FCS quarterfinals. Prior to that, I don't even know. Going back to 1982 (the last year Wikipedia includes all attendance figures) they did not have another sellout. So in 40+ years, there have been two sellouts at a 17,000-seat stadium. Increasing capacity would be a massive waste of money. Decreasing capacity to 12-14k and significantly increasing amenities would be the way to go.

I think you should enclose the entire field with end zone seating on both ends and fill in the spaces on both sidelines in the front. A continuous bowl is aesthetically pleasing. The result is more seating but the goal is to make it a better gameday experience.

Berkman the ncaa eliminated the capacity requirement a few years ago. There is no longer a minimum requirement to stay in Fbs.

Crank
Senior

Post by Crank » Mon Dec 18, 2023 9:30 am

^I don't see them moving the FPC to add seats to that endzone but I'm all for adding them to the other one.

Steve81
Hall of Fame

Post by Steve81 » Mon Dec 18, 2023 10:14 am

shizzle787 wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 8:38 pm UMass should not increase capacity at McGuirk. UMass has not sold out a home game there since 2014 against Bowling Green. Before that, the prior sellout was against New Hampshire in the 2006 FCS quarterfinals. Prior to that, I don't even know. Going back to 1982 (the last year Wikipedia includes all attendance figures) they did not have another sellout. So in 40+ years, there have been two sellouts at a 17,000-seat stadium. Increasing capacity would be a massive waste of money. Decreasing capacity to 12-14k and significantly increasing amenities would be the way to go.

This November after our Army win, we had 14,672 or 2,328 shy of capacity. People are starting to believe in the program. We have not had a winning season and well over a decade and we are coming close to sell outs. Next year with some good weather and early wins, we will be sold out out. Shizzle787, this UMass fan doesn't like UConn fans. Go back to the boneyard and stop trying to understand UMass from your UConn prospective. You would sh-t on UMass at every opportunity. First some crap about how we'd never leave the A10. Then posting you don't understand anything we are finally starting to do.

Yes, we went FBS on the cheap. Now we have a Chancellor that is a sports fan, including football. He is championing a real strategic plan. He will be changing things at UMass. Don't care whether you believe, understand or like it or not. Go support your programs scheduling 5 P5 games a year and enjoy be independent. We've done it far too long.
Go UMass!!

Quann
Hall of Fame

Post by Quann » Mon Dec 18, 2023 3:15 pm

Crank wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 9:30 am ^I don't see them moving the FPC to add seats to that endzone but I'm all for adding them to the other one.
On that end I would just add seats from the FPC down to the field, you have enough room for a few rows there. It would look pretty cool. The other side can have full end zone seating.

Steve81
Hall of Fame

Post by Steve81 » Mon Dec 18, 2023 3:21 pm

Quann wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 3:15 pm
Crank wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 9:30 am ^I don't see them moving the FPC to add seats to that endzone but I'm all for adding them to the other one.
On that end I would just add seats from the FPC down to the field, you have enough room for a few rows there. It would look pretty cool. The other side can have full end zone seating.
Our AD, early on said if tickets sold out, they could sell SOL (standing room only) tickets and the area for them would probably be in front of the FPC.
Go UMass!!

Quann
Hall of Fame

Post by Quann » Mon Dec 18, 2023 3:43 pm

Or we could add seats now and people could actually use them instead of the hypothetical future when we sell out a game.

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Thu Dec 21, 2023 12:19 pm

One stadium in MA is getting renovated:

https://www.nbcboston.com/news/local/of ... e/3223624/
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

jjmc85
Senior

Post by jjmc85 » Thu Dec 21, 2023 9:08 pm

Berkman wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 9:10 pm But isn't a requirement of the NCAA that to remain a 1A school you need to be able to seat 30,000?
No. That requirement was removed a long time before UMass joined FBS.

This season the NCAA also removed the average attendance requirement which I guess is a good thing as UMass hasn’t reached that in almost a decade anyway. Now it’s based on sports you offer and scholarships you give.
UMass Football: 22-3 at home when I was a student.

Leave the A-10!