McGuirk Upgrade

Get ready for some MACtion
Rolling Ridge
Junior

Re: McGuirk Upgrade

Post by Rolling Ridge » Thu Dec 14, 2023 10:09 am

InnervisionsUMASS wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 8:55 am
Rolling Ridge wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 7:40 pm
InnervisionsUMASS wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 5:16 pmWe can't just start from scratch and build a new stadium.. the investment made already into the FPC and Press Box additions alone make that nearly impossible.

But you can't keep the concrete forever... this ain't Roman-era building material. Those are going to need to come down at some point.
The press box and performance center are not connected to the stadium. They were built that way to specifically avoid this and other issues. There would be obstacles to tearing down the stands around the field, but the press box and performance center would not be among them.
My point is that you're not doing a complete demo on the spot because of those two things. They may not be connected, but they are a part of the stadium and need to be factored in. Any demolition and new construction needs to be done with those two things in mind, hence my comment about this not starting from scratch.
OK. That wasn't clear to me from your post, but I get it now. I think most who are calling for a "new stadium" are really looking for a rebuild of the old, original bowl, and that keeping the new elements would be a given. If anything, accounting for the press box and performance center makes the entire project easier, not harder, because they were built in such a way that they expressly wouldn't have to be part of future renovations to the bowl.

Not being a building contractor, I have no idea what the structural soundness of the stands are. I've seen some crumbling concrete, but that may just be superficial. I assume they've had the building inspected for safety. Your point is well taken, however, if you start thinking about building on top of that old infrastructure. I'd tend to agree, that at least for the stands, if you're going to do major renovation, a tear-down with fresh construction would probably be the better option.

Personally, I think this is all a ways out. I think there will be planning over the next year or so, and then a design phase, but I don't get a sense any major renovations are happening any time soon. In terms of conference discussions, I think the commitment to upgrades might be as important as actually having them completed, so I do think what comes of these conversations over the next few months is important.
Last edited by Rolling Ridge on Thu Dec 14, 2023 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

eldonabe
Hall of Fame

Post by eldonabe » Thu Dec 14, 2023 10:21 am

Personally I am asking for an entirely new stadium.

The reality however is that would be too expensive. The alternate reality however is that this school usually does everything on the cheap.

If you want to keep the shell - fine, but don't just put on additions (IE like the bathrooms). Actually gut the interior and redo it properly. The only thing besides the concrete that should be left is the performance center (or whatever they call it these days).

Close and fix one side at a time, then cap the ends properly. This does not have to be a 50K seat stadium, but if you properly cap both ends, you could make it a cozy 25K capacity venue. Designers are very creative these days with what they can do. Turn someone loose with even a little imagination and get this moving. Stop fucking around with "duct tape and glue improvements" and fix that dump.

If they do that and somehow field a reasonably competitive team when everything is done - Umass can sustain decent attendance to support the who she`bang......

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Thu Dec 14, 2023 10:29 am

Rolling Ridge wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 10:09 am
OK. That wasn't clear to me from your post, but I get it now. I think most who are calling for a "new stadium" are really looking for a rebuild of the old, original bowl, and that keeping the new elements would be a given. If anything, accounting for the press box and performance center makes the entire project easier, not harder, because they were built in such a way that the expressly wouldn't have to be part of future renovations to the bowl.

Gotcha... I think we were using/looking at the terminology differently. All good!

In general, I think if the East and West structures are sound and can take being built on top of (or around), I'm good with that. I just can't envision those structures being sound enough to be able to last another 50+ years. It would be very "UMass" of us to do so, only to have to tear everything down 10 years later because the structure fails.

We shall see... I'm just glad to hear from the top levels of campus that it's on the radar. I'm not sure we've ever heard that.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

Berkman
Hall of Fame

Post by Berkman » Thu Dec 14, 2023 12:32 pm

I think that it makes sense to do a rebuild. As someone suggested, tear down the east stands and build new ones with individual seats with cup holders and after that is done do the same with the west stands. Next question, where does the university get the money to do that? The state is very stingy to give UMass any money for a project like that.

Steve81
Hall of Fame

Post by Steve81 » Thu Dec 14, 2023 1:12 pm

Berkman wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 12:32 pm I think that it makes sense to do a rebuild. As someone suggested, tear down the east stands and build new ones with individual seats with cup holders and after that is done do the same with the west stands. Next question, where does the university get the money to do that? The state is very stingy to give UMass any money for a project like that.
This has to be part of the 6-8 month lead time to build the consensus within the strategic plan.
Go UMass!!

Quann
Hall of Fame

Post by Quann » Thu Dec 14, 2023 2:18 pm

I actually think everybody on this thread is on the same page give or take a few minor details. Can't say that about many threads on here :lol:

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Thu Dec 14, 2023 2:42 pm

Quann wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 2:18 pm I actually think everybody on this thread is on the same page give or take a few minor details. Can't say that about many threads on here :lol:
An express highway or monorail from Milford to campus would also be beneficial for you and I... lets see if we can get that added into the funding bill!
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

Berkman
Hall of Fame

Post by Berkman » Thu Dec 14, 2023 3:12 pm

How about one from Mooresville NC to the campus?

Quann
Hall of Fame

Post by Quann » Thu Dec 14, 2023 5:13 pm

InnervisionsUMASS wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 2:42 pm
Quann wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 2:18 pm I actually think everybody on this thread is on the same page give or take a few minor details. Can't say that about many threads on here :lol:
An express highway or monorail from Milford to campus would also be beneficial for you and I... lets see if we can get that added into the funding bill!
Haha, I’ll take a new highway from the old exit 8 on the pike in Palmer to Amherst.

minutefanjsf
Hall of Fame

Post by minutefanjsf » Thu Dec 14, 2023 6:46 pm

Agree. My hope is if they utilize the current structures it is done in a maser that doesn’t Frankenstein things together like BC or other stadiums. Doak Campbell got a facelift by removing stands were once original placement because the others were built up and around them. My other hope is there are stages like possibly adding endzone seats and a concourse behind the stands not in front of the stands this summer.

DougW
Freshman

Post by DougW » Thu Dec 14, 2023 6:54 pm

minutefanjsf wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 6:46 pm
Agree. My hope is if they utilize the current structures it is done in a maser that doesn’t Frankenstein things together like BC or other stadiums. Doak Campbell got a facelift by removing stands were once original placement because the others were built up and around them. My other hope is there are stages like possibly adding endzone seats and a concourse behind the stands not in front of the stands this summer.
Endzone seating and a concourse behind the stands would be great first steps in upgrading McGuirk.

Berkman
Hall of Fame

Post by Berkman » Thu Dec 14, 2023 8:26 pm

If I can remember correctly when they built the stadium back in the 60's they put in a foundation to build a second deck on the east side.

econalum
Hall of Fame

Post by econalum » Thu Dec 14, 2023 9:42 pm

The ECHO chamber of the few wants a new stadium or significant additions. So maybe 10 of you. Perhaps times 10 behind the scenes.

Given the laughing stock that UMass has been for lo these last 10 + years of FBS - where is the public backing for such an investment?

IMO, the stadium will either be marginally repaired to ensure no one gets conked by falling concrete, a la MBTA or UMass Boston garage, or needs a nearly total privately funded initiative.

In the end, what I agree with is that UMass will do it on the cheap, repair mode.

Serious $$ investments need to be continued for almost any other UMA project: Academic, Living spaces, Research/Labs. The stadium has no significant constituency for either lobbying legislators or 'providing bucks', especially with a significantly negative ROI.
Feeling entitled is JUST a feeling...

minutefanjsf
Hall of Fame

Post by minutefanjsf » Thu Dec 14, 2023 10:33 pm

econalum wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 9:42 pm The ECHO chamber of the few wants a new stadium or significant additions. So maybe 10 of you. Perhaps times 10 behind the scenes.

Given the laughing stock that UMass has been for lo these last 10 + years of FBS - where is the public backing for such an investment?

IMO, the stadium will either be marginally repaired to ensure no one gets conked by falling concrete, a la MBTA or UMass Boston garage, or needs a nearly total privately funded initiative.

In the end, what I agree with is that UMass will do it on the cheap, repair mode.

Serious $$ investments need to be continued for almost any other UMA project: Academic, Living spaces, Research/Labs. The stadium has no significant constituency for either lobbying legislators or 'providing bucks', especially with a significantly negative ROI.
Based on the chancellor’s comments with Bamford, it seems thing may be changing. That was literally the first time I’ve heard anyone say facilities money would be used at all.

eldonabe
Hall of Fame

Post by eldonabe » Fri Dec 15, 2023 7:20 am

econalum wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 9:42 pm The ECHO chamber of the few wants a new stadium or significant additions. So maybe 10 of you. Perhaps times 10 behind the scenes.

Since when does that matter? Government spends public money all over the place without that public's approval. All you need is one influential donor and the politicians will fall all over themselves to attach themselves to this.

Public backing - Puh-lease.....