future scheduling talk

Whip'ing the program back into shape.
InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Re: future scheduling talk

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:12 am

UMass87 wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:23 am
It is a dead horse...like football at McGuirk. There should be one game at McGuirk all year: Homecoming. And it should be against a New England opponent. They are the only football fans and teams that can relate to the shithole of a stadium.
Agreed, and considering the shitty situation with the students at the moment, this makes even more sense.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

MJatUM
Hall of Fame

Post by MJatUM » Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:28 am

InnervisionsUMASS wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:12 am
Agreed, and considering the shitty situation with the students at the moment, this makes even more sense.
It's a tough spot.... Having fewer games on campus alienates the students even further (if that's possible). The departments has done a good job (IMO) of getting students to the stadium, now they just have to get them in]to the stadium. Obviously winning some games is a good place to start, but in the mean time they HAVE to find a way.

We got into the lot around 3:15 and driving past hundreds of students walking away from the stadium was really depressing. Also, the few students that were still lingering around the parking lot were absolutely trashed (and almost certainly under 21). I don't know if selling alcohol inside the gates is the solution, but it will certainly help IMO.

Does anyone know why they stopped selling beer at that tent they used to have a few years ago?

eldonabe
Hall of Fame

Post by eldonabe » Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:56 am

MJatUM wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:28 am
InnervisionsUMASS wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:12 am
It's a tough spot.... Having fewer games on campus alienates the students even further (if that's possible). The departments has done a good job (IMO) of getting students to the stadium, now they just have to get them in]to the stadium. Obviously winning some games is a good place to start, but in the mean time they HAVE to find a way.

We got into the lot around 3:15 and driving past hundreds of students walking away from the stadium was really depressing. Also, the few students that were still lingering around the parking lot were absolutely trashed (and almost certainly under 21). I don't know if selling alcohol inside the gates is the solution, but it will certainly help IMO.

Does anyone know why they stopped selling beer at that tent they used to have a few years ago?

I know quite a few Umass kids that lover going to the tail gate. My best friends kid has gone to every one so far. They have a group of about 20 kids that go, and then leave when it is time to go to the game. He is pretty sure they would all go in if it was worth watching - "it is just not fun watching Umass get beaten every week".

It is not rocket science. Win some games....
In Matt McCall I trust!

gosox22
Junior

Post by gosox22 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:14 pm

^ And it's especially not fun watching UMass get beaten every week at a trash heap of a stadium.

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:38 pm

MJatUM wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:28 am

No idea, but someone in the upper admin likely got into a tizzy about alcohol and forced the Athletic Department to shut it down. It's been gone for awhile.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

MJatUM
Hall of Fame

Post by MJatUM » Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:43 pm

^ Right... I can't even remember when it was there last... Was it the "inaugural" return to McGuirk season and that's it? I wonder if they are not offering it as an enticement to watch games from the FPC deck instead as it appears they had alcohol up there on Saturday.

rayers
Senior

Post by rayers » Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:44 pm

Beer is available in the Commonwealth Club tent along with food.

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:03 pm

MJatUM wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:43 pm
^ Right... I can't even remember when it was there last... Was it the "inaugural" return to McGuirk season and that's it? I wonder if they are not offering it as an enticement to watch games from the FPC deck instead as it appears they had alcohol up there on Saturday.
The last time I remember it being available there was before the move to Gillette. I don't think it has been there since.

rayers wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:44 pm
While this is correct, it doesn't serve the purpose of getting a drink during the game. The CC is a pregame/tailgate event for people who do not want to have a normal tailgate in their parking spot.

minutefanjsf
Senior

Post by minutefanjsf » Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:07 pm

InnervisionsUMASS wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:03 pm
MJatUM wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:43 pm
The last time I remember it being available there was before the move to Gillette. I don't think it has been there since.

rayers wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:44 pm
While this is correct, it doesn't serve the purpose of getting a drink during the game. The CC is a pregame/tailgate event for people who do not want to have a normal tailgate in their parking spot.
The last time beer was sold during the game was prior to the move up. It was technically outside the stadium-fenced off and you had to stay in the corral with a beverage. You could peak under the stands and still hear the PA, but it wasn't really in the game. Having a beer garden on the concourse in front of the training facility or knocking down the south wall and building one there for in game drinks would be ideal.

Quann
Senior

Post by Quann » Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:25 pm

Just let the students haul in 30 racks like we used to do 15 years ago. You'll have a full house :D

MJatUM
Hall of Fame

Post by MJatUM » Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:36 pm

minutefanjsf wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:07 pm
The last time beer was sold during the game was prior to the move up. It was technically outside the stadium-fenced off and you had to stay in the corral with a beverage. You could peak under the stands and still hear the PA, but it wasn't really in the game.
This is what I was referring to and can't believe it was so long ago that it was before the move up, but once we get more than a couple of years ago it all starts to blend together :lol:

e_parade
Sophomore

Post by e_parade » Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:30 pm

I'm not entirely certain the shape of the stadium will have anything to do with the students actually going to games here. It's all about the team winning, so moving all the games to Gillette minus homecoming wouldn't really accomplish what we want it to. If we alienate the current population of students even more then we won't get future fans, only the existing group of us that continue to age. It's all about the product on the field.

The reasoning: most of these kids are from MA and if they attended any highschool games (not always the case) the "stadiums" were most likely just a field with some fancy looking benches around them. This isn't the south. On trips to various high schools throughout the northeast it was almost always the same (we stayed at high schools when we traveled with the marching band).

Sure, there's Gillette, or other pro stadiums, but if the team wins games you'll get students. I don't ever remember complaining about the stadium when I was a student. Complaining about the condition of the stadium is reserved for alumni like us ;)

TruBluMaroon
Senior

Post by TruBluMaroon » Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:36 pm

Quann wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:25 pm
Just let the students haul in 30 racks like we used to do 15 years ago. You'll have a full house :D
And returning the empties will provide a revenue stream!!

DearOleUMass
Sophomore

Post by DearOleUMass » Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:38 pm

e_parade wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:30 pm
I'm not entirely certain the shape of the stadium will have anything to do with the students actually going to games here. It's all about the team winning, so moving all the games to Gillette minus homecoming wouldn't really accomplish what we want it to. If we alienate the current population of students even more then we won't get future fans, only the existing group of us that continue to age. It's all about the product on the field.

The reasoning: most of these kids are from MA and if they attended any highschool games (not always the case) the "stadiums" were most likely just a field with some fancy looking benches around them. This isn't the south. On trips to various high schools throughout the northeast it was almost always the same (we stayed at high schools when we traveled with the marching band).

Sure, there's Gillette, or other pro stadiums, but if the team wins games you'll get students. I don't ever remember complaining about the stadium when I was a student. Complaining about the condition of the stadium is reserved for alumni like us ;)
It will take time but having the games on campus will help build future fans. Obviously you need wins either way, but wins on campus are a lot more important in building a fan base than wins off campus somewhere else.

Jack
Senior

Post by Jack » Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:56 pm

DearOleUMass wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:38 pm
It will take time but having the games on campus will help build future fans. Obviously you need wins either way, but wins on campus are a lot more important in building a fan base than wins off campus somewhere else.
[/quote]

^ This x10000 . We need to build a winning product playing most games on campus. Its easier for me to go to Gillette - but College Football is best played on campus. We need to start winning games... but that is a separate issue really.