UMass-NFL news

Get ready for some MACtion
m626t
Hall of Fame

Re: UMass-NFL news

Post by m626t » Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:33 am

This is interesting is a tangential way, re Michael cox

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/man ... -1.3691732
All due respect, and I mean that from the bottom of my heart, I'm gonna pass.

inthescoop
Hall of Fame

Post by inthescoop » Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:25 pm

^Oh wow, another twist to that case. Was surprised to hear it was ruled as a suicide initially because he was stabbed in the stomach.

Cox had some solid games for the Giants, he would definitely be in the rotation right now. He even got drafted, late 7th rounder.

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:18 am

Need to put this someplace in case anyone missed it. Tough break for Adam.
By MATT VAUTOUR
@MattVautourDHG
Wednesday, January 24, 2018
2 0 Print
UMass tight end Adam Breneman injured his hamstring and won’t compete in the Senior Bowl, according to several published reports.

m626t
Hall of Fame

Post by m626t » Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:57 pm

crap. This guy has suffered more than his fair share of bad luck during his career. no real reason for me to watch the game now.
All due respect, and I mean that from the bottom of my heart, I'm gonna pass.

inthescoop
Hall of Fame

Post by inthescoop » Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:32 pm

Tajae Sharpe had to miss the Senior Bowl because of an injury as well. It actually ended up helping his draft stock.

DearOleUMass
Sophomore

Post by DearOleUMass » Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:33 pm

Although I would rather he had played he still should get drafted. Hopefully it is just precautionary.

Downey is starting to get more looks and I wouldn't be surprised if he gets drafted ahead of Breneman now. Both of these guys are very good football players.

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:32 pm

Love seeing the umass guys in the league
Time to Win

Swampy
Hall of Fame

Post by Swampy » Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:51 pm

I will be very surprised if Breneman ever plays a down in the NFL. He's slow and unless he's a better route runner than what I saw it just isn't happening. After its all said and done he'll be happy he got that UMASS diploma.

This isn't a criticism. The competition is off the charts.

DearOleUMass
Sophomore

Post by DearOleUMass » Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:35 pm

Swampy wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:51 pm I will be very surprised if Breneman ever plays a down in the NFL. He's slow and unless he's a better route runner than what I saw it just isn't happening. After its all said and done he'll be happy he got that UMASS diploma.

Honestly, I'm not sure you watch any UMass football or NFL football based on this comment. Breneman for the past two years has been talked about as one of the best tight ends in college. Playing tight end is about blocking (Adam's weak point) and route running/catch radius/hands. Adam has one of the best catch radiuses for all TE's being drafted and on multiple occasions NFL scouts have lauded him for his route running abilities. The fact that he didn't have a single dropped ball this year speaks to how great of a receiving tight end he is. With the NFL moving towards more athletic and receiving oriented tight ends this can only help Adam. Not much more anyone can say besides watch some tape because it appears you don't know what you're talking about.

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:15 am

Swampy wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:51 pm I will be very surprised if Breneman ever plays a down in the NFL. He's slow and unless he's a better route runner than what I saw it just isn't happening. After its all said and done he'll be happy he got that UMASS diploma.

Ummm, what?
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

Swampy
Hall of Fame

Post by Swampy » Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:55 pm

Okay then, I guess we'll just wait and see what happens. Again, I didn't come on here to criticize him or argue with anyone. I simply responded with my opinion. Hope I'm wrong, it certainly won't be the first time. It also isn't the first time someone has told me that I didn't know what I was talking about but I'll leave that one for another time.

MJatUM
Hall of Fame

Post by MJatUM » Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:12 pm

Yeah I mean we all thought Jean Sifrin was a shoe-in to be drafted - or at the very least be a high priority UDFA - and he ended up going undrafted and didn't even really get a shot at the league. Granted Sifrin would have been what, 27 as an NFL rookie? Either way, I guess the point is anything can happen and very few things are guaranteed when it comes to the NFL.

McKinney
Senior

Post by McKinney » Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:46 pm

If anyone's interested, I've made a simple interactive timeline of NFL players from UMass. If you click on a player's name it will give you draft information where applicable. https://time.graphics/line/54229

Data from https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ ... achusetts/
Class of 2019 - @StatsMass

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:13 pm

MJatUM wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:12 pm Yeah I mean we all thought Jean Sifrin was a shoe-in to be drafted - or at the very least be a high priority UDFA - and he ended up going undrafted and didn't even really get a shot at the league. Granted Sifrin would have been what, 27 as an NFL rookie? Either way, I guess the point is anything can happen and very few things are guaranteed when it comes to the NFL.
Sifrin and Breneman are two different type of player. Sifrin was very athletic and made a lot of spectacular plays. However, he was inconsistent. There were 2 things that cost him a shot at the NFL. His age, as already mentioned was #1. He might have been able to overcome that but at the combine he dropped a bunch of catchable passes. His stock went straight downhill after that.

Adam is a much more polished receiver but he is not a superior blocker. He is also not a dynamic athlete and his injury history may come into play. A great performance at the combine can boost his stock as teams are always looking for dependable receivers who catch everything thrown at them.

I think he'll do well at the combine and will go in the late rounds.

inthescoop
Hall of Fame

Post by inthescoop » Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:59 pm

McKinney wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:46 pm If anyone's interested, I've made a simple interactive timeline of NFL players from UMass. If you click on a player's name it will give you draft information where applicable. https://time.graphics/line/54229

Data from https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ ... achusetts/
Very cool, thanks for sharing!

As for my opinion on Breneman, he will definitely play a snap in the NFL, and get drafted. Let's not forget Branchflower got drafted and Breneman is the best TE I have seen play for UMass. He's a smart player, has a true understanding for the game.