Rate the Morris hire

Ringing the Bell on a new era of UM Football.

How would you rate the hiring of Kevin Morris?

No votes
No votes
10%
8%
3%
14%
13%
21%
32%

Total votes: 63

econalum
Senior

Post by econalum » Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:37 pm

TheChamp wrote:You know why the players like Morris? Because he roams the hallways of Boyden every night in the offseason acting half his age, fraternizing with the players, and generally acting like an idiot. I remember seeing him laughing and horsing around with some of the players during intramural basketball season (UMass football always puts together a few teams) and thinking what an idiot this 40 year old white guy was trying to shoot the (inappropriate) shit with student athletes. I had no idea he was the offensive coordinator. The guy is the epitome of unprofessional. The kids see him as one of them, not as a superior, as it should be. This is a team that was undisciplined to begin with. With the hiring of Kevin Morris I only suspect that will get worse. Terrible hiring, and one I won't support until I am proven wrong.
Good point - the team has appeared undisciplined. We'll see.
Feeling entitled is JUST a feeling...

Rocks22
Hall of Fame

Post by Rocks22 » Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:18 am

It appears we've settled in at 3.6. Thanks for everyone's input

harbo
Hall of Fame

Post by harbo » Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:49 pm

Some insightful posters here.

Is the 3.6 average ranking too high?

Swampy
Hall of Fame

Post by Swampy » Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:25 pm

I don't know the answer to that but two years later I have seen and heard enough to say this...I believe everything Crooks and Shades ever told me about Kevin Morris. :(

Mass Grad
Junior

Post by Mass Grad » Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:33 am

It just seems to me that he took good teams and made them worse.

Refuse2Lose83
Hall of Fame

Post by Refuse2Lose83 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:18 am

There's no chance that Morris is the coach now to lead us into the FBS era right? We have to be able to attrach better coaches now and pay them??
Hire Matt McCall!

lane one
Junior

Post by lane one » Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:35 am

In hindsight, the hire looks more odd than it did at the time. No one on this board voiced the opinion it was a great hire. The most positive statements were along the lines that it would maintain continuity. THere were a lot of comments that it was a horrible hire. Many thought it was just the most financially expedient thing to do, and some took it as a sign of abandonment. I really thought he was just the guy they could get for what they would pay.

Now, two years later, there is serious talk of moving up. Clearly, the athletic department thinks resources are available.

Did John McCutcheon really think Kevin Morris was the right guy for the job? Has the college football landscape for UMass changed that much? Or was Coach Morris just going to be a gap-guy, knowing UMass would be in a much stronger hiring situation in a few years?

BostonBert
Junior

Post by BostonBert » Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:05 am

lane one wrote:Did John McCutcheon really think Kevin Morris was the right guy for the job? Has the college football landscape for UMass changed that much? Or was Coach Morris just going to be a gap-guy, knowing UMass would be in a much stronger hiring situation in a few years?
I am hoping that it is one of the last 2 options there. Morris will be looking for work sooner rather than later. If they have the resources to get to FBS, they have the resources to get a new coach along the way. Thank god.

CrooksisRhyming
Senior

Post by CrooksisRhyming » Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:43 pm

No one is more pissed to hear about this move than Coach Brown. When i spoke to him for an article I was working on, he said the he 100 percent wanted to be the coach to lead the program to FBS.
"Wherever I go, I’ll never be bashful about being from UMass, baby.” -Victor Cruz

RCS07
Sophomore

Post by RCS07 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:18 pm

lane one wrote:In hindsight, the hire looks more odd than it did at the time. No one on this board voiced the opinion it was a great hire. The most positive statements were along the lines that it would maintain continuity. THere were a lot of comments that it was a horrible hire. Many thought it was just the most financially expedient thing to do, and some took it as a sign of abandonment. I really thought he was just the guy they could get for what they would pay.

Now, two years later, there is serious talk of moving up. Clearly, the athletic department thinks resources are available.

Did John McCutcheon really think Kevin Morris was the right guy for the job? Has the college football landscape for UMass changed that much? Or was Coach Morris just going to be a gap-guy, knowing UMass would be in a much stronger hiring situation in a few years?
I believe Morris was hired as head coach for purely financial reasons. 1. Brown left just after the economic downturn. UMass was in rough financial shape in an uncertain environment. 2. Based on his experience, I'm assuming his salary is much lower than a proven coach. 3. Much of the coaching staff has been in place since Brown or before. A new coach who was not previously affiliated with the program would want a new staff. That is a lot of banked vacation time to pay out. Coaches don't take much time off due to recruiting. 3-4 weeks per year per coach. That adds up.

The CAA has changed that much since then. Much has already been said about NU, Hofstra and URI. FCS football in the NE is pretty bleak.

Based on McCutcheon's remarks about the switch not drawing on increased tax dollars (not that there would be any available if we needed it), I must assume that the "upgrade" is financially neutral or slightly . Yeah we have increased scholarship costs but we'll command more for our payday games and get some TV and Bowl revenue.

I don't believe we are going to making significantly more than we were in the CAA. We would have jumped up sooner if the MAC had the promise of a windfall. Now that the CAA North is collapsing we needed to find a way to survive until the conference realignment gods favor us. For right now I see it as treading water, well at least financially.

If the move is in purely based on positioning for the future and doesn't bring in anymore revenue for the immediate future, which I believe is the case, then Morris isn't going anywhere. We couldn't buy out the coaching staff two years ago. Has anything really changed besides MAC officials coming to Amherst?

Is this a step up? Sure. A big one? Not really. Am I still excited as all hell? YES! This positions us much better for the future.

ShadesOf96and98
Senior

Post by ShadesOf96and98 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:23 pm

CrooksisRhyming wrote:No one is more pissed to hear about this move than Coach Brown. When i spoke to him for an article I was working on, he said the he 100 percent wanted to be the coach to lead the program to FBS.
True story. Whip and Brown both wanted to be that guy, but Brown consistently talked about how important New England college football was to him and his career and how much he wanted to make a lasting, impactful career out of it. Look no further than after we beat UNH in the playoffs in 06...first words out of his mouth in the postgame press conference: "That was a testament to New England college football."

To have the chance to lead UMass to the highest level of college football would have satisfied nearly everything he got into coaching for. He left because he thought the door was closing/had closed and if he couldn't lead UMass to the FBS, he had to find somewhere else to cement his legacy, just like Whip left shortly after the feasibility study in 2003 said we should keep waiting to make the move and reevaluate years down the road. Damn shame on both accounts.