Rate the Morris hire

Ringing the Bell on a new era of UM Football.

How would you rate the hiring of Kevin Morris?

No votes
No votes
10%
8%
3%
14%
13%
21%
32%

Total votes: 63

Rocks22
Hall of Fame

Rate the Morris hire

Post by Rocks22 » Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:15 am

For the most part it seems like people have negative opinons. Interested to see if only the negative folks are most vocal or if there's a silent block of people who like the hire.

On a scale of 1 to 10 with 10 being Whipplesque and 1 being McCutcheon should've let the players coach themselves.

CrooksisRhyming
Senior

Post by CrooksisRhyming » Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:22 am

There are people that wanted this... just look at the UMass Football Blog's poll. Morris had the most votes of all the candidates.
"Wherever I go, I’ll never be bashful about being from UMass, baby.” -Victor Cruz

tdmass
Senior

Post by tdmass » Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:24 am

It's as bad as having Busch for 4 more years! I guess UMass will go into mediocrity in FB and a definite indication that budget cuts in FB and all sports are imminent!

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:36 am

After some of the bonehead calls I saw over the years, I can't say I'm too pleased with this....

Rocks22
Hall of Fame

Post by Rocks22 » Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:52 am

What the hell is 0? Cut the program?

Average currently at 2.8

shovelhd
Hall of Fame

Post by shovelhd » Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:56 am

Horrible. This had to be about the money.

Chris20
Hall of Fame

Post by Chris20 » Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:09 pm

can't say I was overwhelmed with the list of candidates, though.

We might not want to admit it, but I don't think it's a terribly attractive job, for many reasons. And we are not in a position to overpay for someone to offset that.

Who knows....our AD has made many good decisions thus far....and he has much more information at his disposal to make this decision.....so let's give him at least a small benefit of the doubt, and get behind the new coach!

DrG
Senior

Post by DrG » Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:12 pm

At least he doesn't come in with inflated expectations from the fanbase.

UMass is Cool

Post by UMass is Cool » Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:34 pm

Chris20 wrote:and he has much more information at his disposal to make this decision.....so let's give him at least a small benefit of the doubt, and get behind the new coach!
what would that information be? morris is holding mccutcheon's family hostage in a basement in nigeria? if thats the case, call jack bauer, don't make a bonehead decision to hire a guy who has been the lone negative on some great football teams in the past five years. in all seriousness, what could you possibly mean by this "more information"? what could morris have told mccutcheon that the AD hasnt seen with his own four eyes since morris got here? i can count more reasons to FIRE morris long before this season than to reward him by giving him a promotion and putting him in charge of one of the most dominant FCS teams in the last decade. its only a matter of time before someone in here logs in under the name of Shades of 06 and 07.

UmAstudent
Senior

Post by UmAstudent » Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:43 pm

I guess I need to start that email to our AD. This has to be the worst hire in UMass sports history. This one even tops Lappas.

Chris20
Hall of Fame

Post by Chris20 » Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:47 pm

UMass is Cool wrote:
Chris20 wrote:and he has much more information at his disposal to make this decision.....so let's give him at least a small benefit of the doubt, and get behind the new coach!
what would that information be? morris is holding mccutcheon's family hostage in a basement in nigeria? if thats the case, call jack bauer, don't make a bonehead decision to hire a guy who has been the lone negative on some great football teams in the past five years. in all seriousness, what could you possibly mean by this "more information"? what could morris have told mccutcheon that the AD hasnt seen with his own four eyes since morris got here? i can count more reasons to FIRE morris long before this season than to reward him by giving him a promotion and putting him in charge of one of the most dominant FCS teams in the last decade. its only a matter of time before someone in here logs in under the name of Shades of 06 and 07.
My bad, I'm sure you are as informed as the AD. I didn't realize you had a role in the search process, sat in on the interviews, have been part of the program from the inside while Morris has been here, and have a great handle on the economic issues the AD is working with.

Sorry.

UmAstudent
Senior

Post by UmAstudent » Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:52 pm

CrooksisRhyming wrote:There are people that wanted this... just look at the UMass Football Blog's poll. Morris had the most votes of all the candidates.
I wouldnt be suprise if it were due to the players. The players want him but the fans do not. Im sorry but the players will be gone in 3 years or less... to get rid of your fanbase is a mistake. BAD CHOICE!

UMass is Cool

Post by UMass is Cool » Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:07 pm

Chris20 wrote:
UMass is Cool wrote:
My bad, I'm sure you are as informed as the AD. I didn't realize you had a role in the search process, sat in on the interviews, have been part of the program from the inside while Morris has been here, and have a great handle on the economic issues the AD is working with.

Sorry.
that type of response truly adds to this discussion so congratulations with wasting mike's bandwith. you throw out a blanket statement suggesting the AD has "more information" but refuse to look at morris's track record calling the offense. if your point was morris was the cheap money hire, stick to that, but don't insinuate mccutcheon is smarter than we are being led to believe because this hire is about as smart as printing "NIT Finalists" t-shirts. if mccutcheon did this to "save" money in the short term, he'll be faced with the deficit a losing football program creates for a university a few years from now when he's rebuilding and overpaying for a new coach to come in and clean the mess. you think umass isn't a destination job nowadays? imagine what it will look like to outside candidates after the team hovers around .500 for three more years.

Jackman
Senior

Post by Jackman » Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:50 pm

CrooksisRhyming wrote:There are people that wanted this... just look at the UMass Football Blog's poll. Morris had the most votes of all the candidates.
To be fair, the poll question was who we thought would be the new head coach, not who we wanted it to be.

MassMan06
Hall of Fame

Post by MassMan06 » Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:52 pm

Average now is 3.1