FIRE WALT BELL!

Ringing the Bell on a new era of UM Football.
DeeDeeBee
Freshman

Re: FIRE WALT BELL!

Post by DeeDeeBee » Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:40 am

I was at yesterday's luncheon and Bell took great pains (his boss was present!) to explain that his team is a "morning" team...after practice in the morning, the team immediately goes into meeting/film room to discuss the issues at that practice which requires full commitment of the team and staff until after the luncheon time slot.......still, one of his minions could appear at the luncheon, I think.
Bamford spoke after Bell. Immediately dodged anything substantive about conference affiliation.
Talked about pairing with UConn in any future move. He complained about scheduling the marquee sports with teams in New England and their (BC!) reluctance play UMass. He envisions a sort of New England region identity for most sports.....at least that's what I got out of it.... :)

dennisdent
Senior

Post by dennisdent » Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:14 pm

Thanks for the recap! If his team is a "morning team" then the UMass football fan base is a" mourning fan base" for the great program we once had... :D

Bell is good with the excuses...He's won two games, going to the luncheon once a week won't make that much of a difference!

PreecherJenkins
Senior

Post by PreecherJenkins » Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:06 pm

what time does the luncheon start?

When do our athletic students go to class? Are there enough classes in the afternoons and evening for them to attend?

Was there a chance to ask 2 wins any questions? Like why have you had to use 2 time outs before the first play in 2 weeks? Or why arent you competitive in any losses?

ZooMass84
Junior

Post by ZooMass84 » Thu Oct 14, 2021 5:21 pm

PreecherJenkins wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:06 pm what time does the luncheon start?

When do our athletic students go to class? Are there enough classes in the afternoons and evening for them to attend?

Was there a chance to ask 2 wins any questions? Like why have you had to use 2 time outs before the first play in 2 weeks? Or why arent you competitive in any losses?
I used to call him Molnar 2.0 and Gomer, no more. The kids like him and he’s got 6 games left this year. Win 2 of them and truthfully I’d give him a contract extension. If merriweather can get through FSU and Liberty in one piece then we have a real shot at beating both URI and Maine

dennisdent
Senior

Post by dennisdent » Thu Oct 14, 2021 6:26 pm

ZooMass84 wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 5:21 pm
PreecherJenkins wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:06 pm what time does the luncheon start?

real shot at beating both URI and Maine
You must be taking some strong meds!!! How sad that after ten years, as an FBS program UMass has a "real shot" at FCS teams.

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Thu Oct 14, 2021 6:44 pm

ZooMass84 wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 5:21 pm
The kids like him and he’s got 6 games left this year. Win 2 of them and truthfully I’d give him a contract extension.
Wow, thats crazy. Its great they like him, but that doesn't mean they should throw a few more million at him.
The E sho, best show in town

wmmmfan
Junior

Post by wmmmfan » Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:19 pm

The administration needs to be looking for improvement coming out of the bye week and the remaining 6 games. If we can be competitive and win 2-3 of the remaining 6 games I think he warrants a 1 year extension. If we get slaughtered by FSU, Liberty and Army and win 2 of the other 3 games he will get one more year but his recruiting will suffer. It’s all about improving from game 1 to game 12. I have to wonder what this season would look like if Lytle hadn’t been hurt.

I want to like Bell. In the interview from this week he was holding back what he truly wanted to express and I think if he would have expressed it, many of us would be in agreement. I still believe we should have gone with a winning HC from a lower level but if our schedule wasn’t as tough as it has been been from year 1 of this move we would be in a better position as a program.

vanmeter
Hall of Fame

Post by vanmeter » Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:36 pm

I think if Bell got an extension for beating a terrible UConn team and 2 FCS teams it would absolutely be the worst decision ever by an AD. What had he ever done that would warrant an extension. It would be bad enough if they ever kept him.
Whipple beat a better UConn team his final year and got fired. Losing to teams is 1 thing. Losing by 40 points is another.
Bamford doesn’t want to fire him because it would simply amplify the terrible decision it was to hire him in the first place.

wmmmfan
Junior

Post by wmmmfan » Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:44 pm

I’m not saying just by beating RI and Maine, they need to be competitive at FSU, Liberty, Army and have a shot at beating NM State. There has to be improvement coming out of this bye week for any thought of an extension. I’m thinking from a recruiting perspective. I understand what you’re saying.
Last edited by wmmmfan on Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vanmeter
Hall of Fame

Post by vanmeter » Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:57 pm

Losing to URI would be a terrible look for Bamford. A team that plays in a facility that makes McQuirk look like Gillette. Limited scholarships - no fan base.
Of course URI has a compentant AD.

wmmmfan
Junior

Post by wmmmfan » Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:16 pm

vanmeter wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:57 pm Losing to URI would be a terrible look for Bamford. A team that plays in a facility that makes McQuirk look like Gillette. Limited scholarships - no fan base.
Of course URI has a compentant AD.
Not to mention their coach has been mouthing off ever since UMass flipped the Brown kid from Everett. Who ended up at URI in the end.

Steve81
Senior

Post by Steve81 » Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:57 pm

UMass is one of the hardest to find a coach. Don't have a subscription to the Athletic, but you can see the article title and link as one of the bottom places as being desirable for a head coach. Hopefully this poll from agents and the like sober up fans in being so quick to can Bell when his roster is mostly underclassmen. Next year is the year for a truer evaluation, but we also need more money for other quality assistant coaches.

The bottom 3 teams are all independent, the MAC had one team in the the 10 worst places, Akron. CUSA had 2 teams in the list. CUSA had 2 and the MAC with one team, making the list of teams that did receive worst places to work votes.

Another poster quoted this.
The Athletic surveyed 68 coaches, agents and administrators in FBS football and asked them to list the five hardest head coaching jobs in order. UConn came out as the hardest job in the country with all 68 listing UConn as one of the five hardest jobs in the country. UMass had more hardest overall votes but fewer total voters including them among their five hardest jobs.
https://theathletic.com/2885974/2021/10 ... -and-more/

epasnoopy on the MAC board posted some of the material.
HARDEST GROUP OF 5/INDEPENDENT JOBS

UConn
First-place votes: 6

UMass
First-place votes: 11

Another Northeast school, UMass was the second-leading vote-getter among Group of 5 programs. One agent told The Athletic that it was the only job he ever advised a client to turn down.

“I think UConn and UMass are on the fence if they should even have football,” said another agent.

The program generates about $9 million in revenue, according to the Boston Herald. The Minutemen moved up from FCS to FBS in 2012 but haven’t had the success UConn has seen in the somewhat recent past, going 20-86 since the move to college football’s highest level. Mark Whipple, who won an FCS national title at UMass in 1998, returned and had the best run of FBS success with eight wins in two seasons in 2017-18, but Walt Bell is 2-20 so far.

Some surveyed pointed to apathy about the program on campus and across the state. Both UMass and UConn are independent, but one Group of 5 head coach cited the Minutemen’s resources, which are “less than what UConn has with the ability to pay coaches.”

New Mexico State
First-place votes: 4

Akron
First-place votes: 2

Many coaches polled omitted MAC programs because of the competitive balance and cyclical nature within the league. But Akron, with just one winning season since 2005 and a 3-21 record for current coach Tom Arth, was the exception.
Other notable Group of 5 vote-getters: Eastern Michigan, FIU, San Jose State, Temple, Middle Tennessee State

On Eastern Michigan: “Everyone who is an EMU fan is a Michigan fan first. They have to schedule around Michigan games. If Michigan plays at noon, they have to play at 7 p.m. And the town is a rough town; people knock them for that. They do not pay very well.” — Agent

dennisdent
Senior

Post by dennisdent » Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:28 pm

Steve81 wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:57 pm UMass is one of the hardest to find a coach. Don't have a subscription to the Athletic, but you can see the article title and link as one of the bottom places as being desirable for a head coach. Hopefully this poll from agents and the like sober up fans in being so quick to can Bell when his roster is mostly underclassmen. Next year is the year for a truer evaluation, but we also need more money for other quality assistant coaches.

The bottom 3 teams are all independent, the MAC had one team in the the 10 worst places, Akron. CUSA had 2 teams in the list. CUSA had 2 and the MAC with one team, making the list of teams that did receive worst places to work votes.

Another poster quoted this.
The Athletic surveyed 68 coaches, agents and administrators in FBS football and asked them to list the five hardest head coaching jobs in order. UConn came out as the hardest job in the country with all 68 listing UConn as one of the five hardest jobs in the country. UMass had more hardest overall votes but fewer total voters including them among their five hardest jobs.
https://theathletic.com/2885974/2021/10 ... -and-more/

epasnoopy on the MAC board posted some of the material.
HARDEST GROUP OF 5/INDEPENDENT JOBS

UConn
First-place votes: 6

UMass
First-place votes: 11

Another Northeast school, UMass was the second-leading vote-getter among Group of 5 programs. One agent told The Athletic that it was the only job he ever advised a client to turn down.

“I think UConn and UMass are on the fence if they should even have football,” said another agent.

The program generates about $9 million in revenue, according to the Boston Herald. The Minutemen moved up from FCS to FBS in 2012 but haven’t had the success UConn has seen in the somewhat recent past, going 20-86 since the move to college football’s highest level. Mark Whipple, who won an FCS national title at UMass in 1998, returned and had the best run of FBS success with eight wins in two seasons in 2017-18, but Walt Bell is 2-20 so far.

Some surveyed pointed to apathy about the program on campus and across the state. Both UMass and UConn are independent, but one Group of 5 head coach cited the Minutemen’s resources, which are “less than what UConn has with the ability to pay coaches.”

New Mexico State
First-place votes: 4

Akron
First-place votes: 2

Many coaches polled omitted MAC programs because of the competitive balance and cyclical nature within the league. But Akron, with just one winning season since 2005 and a 3-21 record for current coach Tom Arth, was the exception.
Other notable Group of 5 vote-getters: Eastern Michigan, FIU, San Jose State, Temple, Middle Tennessee State

On Eastern Michigan: “Everyone who is an EMU fan is a Michigan fan first. They have to schedule around Michigan games. If Michigan plays at noon, they have to play at 7 p.m. And the town is a rough town; people knock them for that. They do not pay very well.” — Agent
I also have a subscription and it doesn't say anything that we already didn't know on here!!! I remember when Kansas State, Northwestern, Iowa State were terrible, terrible football programs that went much longer then UMass in having losing seasons. It takes the right coach!

dennisdent
Senior

Post by dennisdent » Fri Oct 15, 2021 12:30 am

USA Today put out its annual FBS coaches salaries and Walt Bell is paid more than the majority of the MAC coaches and they are better coaches too!!!

https://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salari ... ball/coach

McKinney
Senior

Post by McKinney » Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:10 am

USAToday also reports our athletics budget as top of SunBelt, CUSA, and MAC. Or middle of MWC and AAC. But there's Walt Bell sitting in the Bottom 10 of FBS coaches.

Financial stability was one of the motivations to go FBS. There has to be some hesitation to join the arms race. But there are enough external factors that make success in Massachusetts hard. That we're also underpaying relative to our resources is just shooting ourselves in the foot in attracting a quality head football coach.

I mean if you take a nominal view of the compensation package there should be plenty of FCS coaches willing to make the jump. But relative to the rest of FBS it is a pretty sad state of affairs.
Class of 2019 - @StatsMass