If Lappas were to leave

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
DrexelDragons

If Lappas were to leave

Post by DrexelDragons » Sun Apr 13, 2003 5:20 pm

who would you guys want to replace him? I would want Dougherty. Proven coach, and he is not going to a big time school. He is almost guarenteed to go to a midmajor, which i consider umass now that Coach lappas has put them in that position.
BruCrew

MrMiagi

Post by MrMiagi » Sun Apr 13, 2003 7:43 pm

His name is Doherty.

You'd want a coach that Lappas was able to beat by over 30 points the only time he faced him? A "down" Nova squad wiped his team off the floor the only year Doherty was at ND.

Jerry Dunn and PSU upset UNC in the NCAA's when they had a 2 seed.

That would be real upgrade at the head coaching position.

Lappas lost to Lafayette and Central Connecticut with players that eat at McDonalds, Doherty lost to those kinds of school's with players who are McDonald's All Americans.

PreacherPugh
Freshman

Post by PreacherPugh » Sun Apr 13, 2003 9:00 pm

Forget Doherty, I'd love to see Steve Lavin come in here. He was a hell of a recruiter at UCLA and he may have had a tough season this year, but how many times in a row did he make it to the sweet 16? 6. So he can win, and he knows how to win. Thus If they do get of lap bring in Lavin, no Doherty, Doherty has many issues.
Depina=a good PG
Pugh=a steller dunker
Toot=the man
Dec. 6th 2002=the ultimate

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Sun Apr 13, 2003 10:28 pm

Lavin, hmmm interesting. Maybe too pricey though.

KWilsonFan
Freshman

Re: If Lappas were to leave

Post by KWilsonFan » Mon Apr 14, 2003 12:02 am

DrexelDragons wrote: I would want Dougherty. Proven coach,
I would disagree with that. He had a good year at ND (NIT) and came in with a great UNC team. I can't argue with the Coach of the Year award, but a couple seasons does not a good head coach make.

class of 62-64
Freshman

Post by class of 62-64 » Mon Apr 14, 2003 2:15 am

Lavin? Give me a break. The Teflon Man? He's not a great recruiter. He was in a program that brings in blue chippers based on reputation. The big raps on Lavin were that he couldn't control his players, none of them ever improved while at UCLA, he couldn't make half-time adjustments and his teams didn't pay hard and regularly under-achieved. Hmmm. Some of that sounds familiar.

Notwithstanding that Lappis isn't going any where, is Laving really the kind of coach you'd want to see come in?

nale
Hall of Fame

Thinking outside the box.

Post by nale » Mon Apr 14, 2003 10:41 am

I would like to go with a young coach not a re-tread. Someone with something to prove and the hunger and desire to make a name for himself. Yes It sounds like the Cal hire but that one worked.

Here a name: Steve Wojciechowski.

"Since Wojciechowski joined the Duke staff, the Blue Devils have posted an incredible 95-13 record.
“He’s like a fireball of energy,” says Sanders. “It’s really hard to describe. He expects us to be alert and alive
at all times, and he pumps it into everything we do.”

http://goduke.ocsn.com/sports/m-baskbl/ ... eve00.html

He is probably too young (26). If/when Johnny Dawkins moves on to a head coaching job Steve might be Coach K's top assisant and wait for a major offer. But if Lappas serves out his two years and is not successful Steve could to ready and would add fire and fight to the UMASS program.

Just a thought.
"This is my dream job''

deke
Junior

Post by deke » Mon Apr 14, 2003 11:14 am

What's amazing about Wojo is that only a few years removed from his PG playing career, he's now working with Duke's big men and they're responding well to him. I didn't like him much while he was at Duke, but that's mainly because I'm pro UMass and anti-everyone else. :wink:

I love his energy and enthusiasm, and secrety admired it while he was playing. I've never seen our guys slap their hands to the floor on defense.

He may be young, but he's worth keeping an eye on in the future.

CapeCodBruiser
Senior

Post by CapeCodBruiser » Mon Apr 14, 2003 4:55 pm

I nominate Ty Weeks for Umass coach. He would come in at cheap dollars. He is a link to the Glory Days of the program. His story of accomplishment would be an inspiration to the type of kids Umass has to go after aka The Second Tier Recruits. Most of all the only success Umass has ever enjoyed came when we hired an up and coming coach with potential in Calipari. Hiring retreads at high dollars is not the way to go.

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Mon Apr 14, 2003 5:57 pm

Wow, never thought of that choice. I would love to see a guy like Ty Weeks come back. Think it's a great idea to give an alum a crack at a job like that, but it may be too soon for a job like this. I would think that he could use a little more seasoning. However, we have Lappas for now & we need to support him until he's no longer here. Hopefully next year there is improvement and this discussion won't be necessary.

GOODY
Junior

Post by GOODY » Mon Apr 14, 2003 6:18 pm

Gonzalez at Manhatten! But I want Lappas for at least one more try!

Quinn
Junior

Post by Quinn » Mon Apr 14, 2003 7:10 pm

Ty as a head coach? Sloooooooooow down.

If we ever went for a former Minuteman (which I'm all for), I'd have to put Barbee and Kellogg ahead of Ty on the list. Would make a great trio when it came to recruiting in the state, I'll tell ya.

Orange Julius
Senior

Post by Orange Julius » Mon Apr 14, 2003 10:08 pm

GOODY wrote:Gonzalez at Manhatten! But I want Lappas for at least one more try!
Gonzalez ain't coming here whether we want him or not. To him, Umass is a lateral move at this point. Manhattan had a better team last year and will next year too with Luis Flores back. Gonzalez is holding out for a job in a so called BCS conference.

deke
Junior

Post by deke » Mon Apr 14, 2003 10:13 pm

Quinn wrote: If we ever went for a former Minuteman (which I'm all for), I'd have to put Barbee and Kellogg ahead of Ty on the list. Would make a great trio when it came to recruiting in the state, I'll tell ya.
I think Bill Bayno should be a candidate, whether it's this year, next year, or 2008. His ties to UMass are as a player from 80-82 and as a coach under Calipari from 88-95. He was an assistant at Kansas under Larry Brown and at Seton Hall under Carlisemo. He had three 20-win seasons as head coach at UNLV. He's recruited top players from around the country. He coached both Keon Clark and Shawn Marion into the NBA Lottery. And he just coached the Yakima Sun Kings to the CBA championship in his first season there.

I think he's eminently qualified for the position. My only question is "would he want the job?"

PreacherPugh
Freshman

Post by PreacherPugh » Mon Apr 14, 2003 11:40 pm

I like the idea of Bayno. That guy can flat out recruit. I'd love to see him come to the Mullins Center. He had the UNLV team playing some damn good bball when he was there. Another name I'd love to see would be Rick Mahorn. I know he's spent some time in the NBA as an assistant and probably would view this as a downgrade. But he was a heck of a player who could teach players a million new things they never even thought about. Plus he's a good guy, interesting and he would certainly get out in the community to promote the hell out of the team. I just think Rick is an excellent teacher and would make this Umass team a much much better all around squad.
Depina=a good PG
Pugh=a steller dunker
Toot=the man
Dec. 6th 2002=the ultimate