KAEO Sampson Carter

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
Refuse2Lose83
Hall of Fame

Post by Refuse2Lose83 » Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:14 pm

Samp is reminding me a lot of Dana Dingle and Donta Bright. Not necessarily in their games but their role and what they bring to the team. They weren't the stars, but they were damn good players who made the difference from being a good team and being a top 20 team.
Hire Matt McCall!

uz2b-len
Hall of Fame

Post by uz2b-len » Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:06 am

Bright was a star his senior year.
"All credit to my teammates, all glory to God."-- Chaz Williams

xlgman
Hall of Fame

Post by xlgman » Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:46 am

Wow - some well deserved high praise here. If Samp continues like this (and I've seen nothing to suggest this is just a "hot streak"), the ceiling for this team is much higher than I ever imagined.

DKera
Junior

Post by DKera » Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:56 am

xlgman wrote:Wow - some well deserved high praise here. If Samp continues like this (and I've seen nothing to suggest this is just a "hot streak"), the ceiling for this team is much higher than I ever imagined.
Agreed. I think many (myself included) viewed Samp/the PF position in general as one of the weaknesses of this team coming into the season. I was even skeptical of him being in the starting lineup. Not only was that belief wrong, but he is turning into one of our biggest strengths.

If you look at DK's first recruiting class (Samp, Javorn, Putney, Freddie, Vinson) , Samp has a good opportunity to have the best single season of anyone in that class...thats the kind of start hes off to. Obviously this season has just started and there is a long way to go, but his play so far has been extremely impressive.

Carl Spackler
Junior

Post by Carl Spackler » Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:59 pm

^ I totally agree on Samp, it's obvious he has his body and his confidence back. He is shooting with confidence and taking it to the hoop with a purpose, finishing and getting to the foul line. That said, on your statement about the best single season of that recruiting class; it looks like Put may have something to say about that - his offensive game is really blossoming,scoring in a variety of ways and like Samp his confidence is showing. For this team to reach its potential these 2 have to continue their breakout senior seasons.

LS71
Hall of Fame

Post by LS71 » Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:03 am

Old Cage wrote:To use a pro term, he and Put and Chaz are in their "contract year." Sampson wants to play somewhere on the planet in the future and so far is making the most of his audition.

We can talk at length here about some of our seniors over the years who have mailed it in, even some who were on decent teams. That's not going to happen with these three.
I couldn't agree more. Their determination and their maturity have been huge...true senior leadership.

These guys are on a mission.
"Win without boasting, lose without crying." -- Julius Erving

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:05 am

It looks like DK's first real recruiting class will end up going down as a net positive. TV had a great career, Freddie finished strong (even though he was inconsistent throughout his career), Samp is looking great and Put as well. JF is the only one, because he left, that one would say is the downer of that group.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

Chris20
Hall of Fame

Post by Chris20 » Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:08 am

And JF made some contributions. So if he was the worst, it was a decent class.

I'm a bit concerned about our latest class. Way too early to judge, one guy hasn't even made an appearance yet, but I don't love what the eye test shows me so far.

Plenty of time to change that, though.

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:57 am

Agreed, way too early to tell, but who knows. What I do like, though, is that DK clearly is making an effort at getting some of these guys in this year. Last year, we were begging him to play TB. If these guys can get some action this year, it will help their progress immensely.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

Roadtrip
Hall of Fame

Post by Roadtrip » Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:30 pm

We have some games coming up where the new guys should get some playing time. I would rather they win by 10 with the second unit getting a look than by 20 with the core seven. You just never know when you might need a contribution from the bench, and it's better to have them prepared.

chdavis295
Senior

Post by chdavis295 » Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:47 pm

Chris20 wrote:And JF made some contributions. So if he was the worst, it was a decent class.

I'm a bit concerned about our latest class. Way too early to judge, one guy hasn't even made an appearance yet, but I don't love what the eye test shows me so far.

Plenty of time to change that, though.
Im more than confident to say at this point in the year compared to last year I think this year's class passes the eye test more than last year's class

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Sun Nov 24, 2013 1:22 pm

TBerg and Trey definitely look better this year so give the frosh some time and I'm sure they'll be fine. Looks like an athletic class so I could see them doing some things
Time to Win

Marty Peretz
Hall of Fame

Post by Marty Peretz » Sun Nov 24, 2013 1:31 pm

Pretty sure, Clyde Santee hit a big shot in my dream last night. I hate to say it, but I'm not joking. That shit was actually in my dream.

Given my forecasting abilities, I think this means that he breaks out tonight and goes for 30 to lead us to a convincing win.

chdavis295
Senior

Post by chdavis295 » Sun Nov 24, 2013 2:41 pm

Marty Peretz wrote:Pretty sure, Clyde Santee hit a big shot in my dream last night. I hate to say it, but I'm not joking. That shit was actually in my dream.

Given my forecasting abilities, I think this means that he breaks out tonight and goes for 30 to lead us to a convincing win.
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

UMASS2010
Junior

Post by UMASS2010 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 2:04 am

chdavis295 wrote:
Marty Peretz wrote:Pretty sure, Clyde Santee hit a big shot in my dream last night. I hate to say it, but I'm not joking. That shit was actually in my dream.

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Marty=Nostradomus of UmassHoops haha