Getting rid of Lap would be a horrible move right now

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
DEM
Senior

Post by DEM » Mon Apr 14, 2003 3:38 pm

IWB, I won't speak for Kosty, but my problem with your posts is that you repeat the same thing over over and over. Here is a basic gist of your history on this message board using your current name:

post #1: Lappas sucks, he should be let go, it wouldn't be a loss.
Post #2: Lappas is a bad coach, he should be fired.
Post #3: Lappas is no good, let him go now and cut our losses.
Post #4: Lappas should be fired, he has contributed nothing.
And so forth...

In other words, you're saying the same thing repeatedly. I get the picture, you hate the coach and want him fired, there's no need to keep restating the same thing again and again. :roll:

MrMiagi

Post by MrMiagi » Mon Apr 14, 2003 3:40 pm

Actually you have.

He won 2 NCAA games not 1. Not that that matters, but you're wrong.

He also won an NIT Championship, and since you think the last coach was a winning coach, that's basically a National Championship.

Kosty
Hall of Fame

Post by Kosty » Mon Apr 14, 2003 3:44 pm

DEM wrote:IWB, I won't speak for Kosty, but my problem with your posts is that you repeat the same thing over over and over. Here is a basic gist of your history on this message board using your current name:

post #1: Lappas sucks, he should be let go, it wouldn't be a loss.
Post #2: Lappas is a bad coach, he should be fired.
Post #3: Lappas is no good, let him go now and cut our losses.
Post #4: Lappas should be fired, he has contributed nothing.
And so forth...

In other words, you're saying the same thing repeatedly. I get the picture, you hate the coach and want him fired, there's no need to keep restating the same thing again and again. :roll:
Yeah, that's about what I was gonna say.

The worst part about the posts is that everyone that posts here knows, or should know, that Lappas is not going anywhere for a minimum of 1 year.......why bother posting how much you hate him and how much he sucks NOW when it's not going to do any good??? It just clutters the board really.

ItsWhatsBest
Freshman

Post by ItsWhatsBest » Mon Apr 14, 2003 4:38 pm

I don't think the last coach was a winning coach, I just think that UMass should show some improvement in three seasons. And I don't mean from one year to the next, I mean from the time the new coach was brought on. I don't think it should be accepetable if UMass is still performing worse at the end of year 3 of the Lappas era than it was at the end of the 2001 season.

And if I do hate Steve Lappas, which I don't, I'm not posting about it.

Again, if anyone wants to explain exactly what Steve Lappas has done since he's been here that warrants any support, I'd love to hear it. I'm not here to argue with people I'm here to exchange points of view and if there is someone out there that can list things he has done rather than merely shift blame for things he hasn't please do.

nale
Hall of Fame

Post by nale » Mon Apr 14, 2003 4:51 pm

ItsWhatsBest wrote:Kosty, would you care to articulate exactly what about Steve Lappas' performance at UMass and his track record at Villanova has you so firmly in his corner that you'd rather not hear any criticism?

Have I misrepresented his record? Am I twisting facts to suit my position? Am I misleading anyone by obscuring positive contributions that weaken my stance?

I am discussing UMass basketball and you are engaging in personal insults. Drivel indeed.
FIREBOBMARCUM !!! FIREBOBMARCUM !!!

IWB, you just don't seem to get it. Many people here criticize Coach Lappas. So that not the problem. It is your unrelending obession that is the problem. Anytime you have something new to say about UMASS basketball most people here will be glad to listen. OK you hate Lappas. He is bad of UMASS basketball. We understand your point. You do not have to try and make UMASSHOOPS your private place to vent on one subject endlessly like you make the other site. Lappas is here for at least one or two more years. Deal with it. Do you really have to post the same thing over and over? I for one don't like to see anyone banned from posting so I will just not read or respond to any of your posts until Lappas is gone since I know what they will say anyway.

GO UMASS!
"This is my dream job''

MrMiagi

Post by MrMiagi » Mon Apr 14, 2003 4:57 pm

It's hilarious that you continue to ignore the bruluaghs comments, but whatever.

UMASS was basically a building about to fall down. When Bruiser was finally fired, only a quarter of the building had fallen. Now unless Rick Pitino was coming, the rest of the building was going to fall regardless and that's because of what Bruiser left.

While only a quarter of the building collapsed under Bruiser, Lappas is now watching the rest of the building fall.

Since nothing else seems to get through to you, that's as simple as I can make it. The last two season were worse, but that's because of a lack of experienced talent.

Name me another player besides AA that Lappas was left with that the rest of the coaches in the A10 would say, "Hey, that's a kid I can build a program around." Name one. There aren't any.

Name me one decent big man that Lappas was given that he could build a proram around? Did bruiser even recruit big men his last few years as coach? He hadn't recruited one before he was fired and he was looking at having only Brand in just two years assuming he didn't redshirt Rogers like Lappas decided to do.

You rip Lappas for the fact that he's going to be so inexperienced in the frontcourt next year. NO $hit! How was he not going to be inexperienced? You could have had Coach K, John Wooden, Rick Pitino, and John Thompson for a coaching staff, and you'd HAVE TO BE inexperienced in the frontcourt this season. Bruiser had absolutely NO big men in the program when Lappas took over that would be around for more than 2 years.

THE BEST Lappas could have done was have a bunch of sophomores. There is no other way for him to get more experienced than having some sophomores next year. Briggs sat out because he was in trouble and Freeman didn't have the grades.

Lappas was put in a tough position. UMASS ISN'T recruiting itself. He should actually be commended for the fact that there will be two pretty decent prospects ready to go next year.

Bruiser left before the building was going to fall, but guess what, the building was going to fall regardless.

What did he leave Lappas to BUILD with? Lappas was left a bad team that relied on one guy to score and he graduated. There were no talented 2 guard prospects in the program and NO BIG MEN to develop.

Lappas has had bad losses and the record has been terrible, but he's trying to rebuild and you don't rebuild without PLAYERS.

ItsWhatsBest
Freshman

Post by ItsWhatsBest » Mon Apr 14, 2003 5:25 pm

I probably wouldn't repeat my position as often as I do if it weren't so blatantly misrepresented in attacks on me. I don't hate Lappas, I just don't want UMass basketball to continue to flounder under him and I have no faith in his ability to dig himself out of the hole he dug and given his uninspiring track record, I don't think I should have any faith in him.

Again, this season will tell us a lot about him and the direction of the program. UMass doesn't owe Steve Lappas anything other than a signature on each princely paycheck. Lappas, on the other hand, owes UMass results. It's the nature of the industry. Produce or move along. A third terrible Lappas season should be his last at UMass.

This has been Steve Lappas' team since the day he was hired. The past two seasons of futility on the floor and embarassment off the floor fall directly at his feet and no one else's. He is the coach of this program and he is supposed to get the players in his charge to perform to the best of their abilities and he hasn't. Again, he didn't have to win 20 games in either of his first two seasons to be deemed a success, he had to avoid directing the two worst in over a decade in order to not be judged a failure to this point. And to this point, he has been a failure and there is no way to characterize him as anything but. He has a chance to redeem himself and show the fans that he is worth suffering for. We've done the suffering, so let's see the redemption.

obg
Senior

Post by obg » Mon Apr 14, 2003 6:24 pm

MrMiagi and IWG are one notes. One has nothing to say except to bash Lappas. The other one has no connection to UMass or this board except to apologize for Lappas' failure and predict his greatness.
I wouldn't miss either of them.

Chemical Ali
Senior

Post by Chemical Ali » Mon Apr 14, 2003 7:06 pm

[1] AA is a much better pg, are you really serious?

No, I said that Lasme showed me more. "much better" are your words, but, yes, I think he created a hell of lot more and was better in transition and getting his shot.

[2] Why don't you go look up Lasme's assist to turnover ratio?

Ok. I did. It shows me that Lasme was at 1.1-1 while Anderson was at 1.6-1. Yep. Anthony had a full .5 better assist to turnover ratio than the guy who was "turning it over all the time". Also, Lasme averaged 2.6 assists to Anthony's 3.7. That's right, the best point guard since Rod Strickland and Alvin Williams averaged 3.7 a game, one more than a dude who averaged less minutes and handled the ball less. Can't have it both ways, freak.

[3] Your post is a total joke.

Then laugh on, laughing boy.

[4] If Lappas did start Lasme at pg at the expense of AA you'd say he had it in for Bruiser recruits and was willing to bench better players at the teams expense because he wanted to play "HIS" guys.

I have NO IDEA what the fuck that means. I supported the decision to let Coach Flint go, and I'll be supportive of Coach Lappas until and if I think it isn't working out. My post doesn't rip Anderson or Lasme. It simply suggests they would be better swittching positions. I'd like to see Anderson at the two because I think that'd help the team and that is important to me as I support UMass, not one coach's recruits over anothers. Recruit THIS, sword swallower

[5] Wasn't AA rookie of the year?
Yes, and I think he had a pretty bad sophomore season. I also think he would be a better two guard.

[6] I think you should make your first post your last.

Easy there, multi-sided dice boy. Remember my name is Chemical Ali. I don't take too kind to being told what to do.

FreeThinking
Freshman

Post by FreeThinking » Mon Apr 14, 2003 8:00 pm

Its safe to say that Lappas is on thin ice. The team stunk and we wouldn't even fill the cage anymore. Lappas is the kind of guy you want to see succeed, but not more than wanting UMass to succeed. I don't think UMass would be devestated if a change was made now, but I do think it would be premature to fire him. I also agree that it's NIT or bust for him this year. If he's the coach he's being made out to be, 3 years should be long enough to have a decent team. A coach worth the money wouldn't take longer.

I hope there isn't arguing all season long about this. I have a feeling that with a personal friend of the coach already making up screen names and calling people names and someone who wants him fired already pointing out all the flaws, this board is going to become useless if the team struggles.

MrMiagi

Post by MrMiagi » Mon Apr 14, 2003 8:24 pm

Chemcial Ali

A 5'11 sg? Sure.

AA's assist to to ratio isn't a WHOLE lot better but guess what, HE HAS THE BALL IN HIS HANDS ALL THE TIME.

It would be like comparing the startin qb's td to int ratio with the backup.

I don't even know Lappas. I just defend him against fans who obviously fail to grasp the BIG PICTURE.

I've knocked the guy a million times. I said he needs to reinvent himself as a bench coach and needs to leave the refs alone entirely. He just needs to go from one extreme to another. F the refs, it's a horrible strategy to yell at them all the time, it does ZERO.

I've also indicated that UMASS has stunk the first two years, and Lap is certainly at fault. I just think a school like UMASS would be foolish to get rid of him after 2 or three years. Let the guy gradaute a recruiting class.

This other idiot who probably is responsible for three of the past 4 screen names is just a complete basher who fails to give the guy even the smallest amount of credit for anything.

I'm arguing with 3 guys who are the same guy.

MikeUMA
Site Admin

Post by MikeUMA » Mon Apr 14, 2003 11:42 pm

The whole buyout rumor is totally false. Signing day is coming up soon, don't scare kids away with rumors of a change. I'm gonna be a bitch here and lock this thread.