Game 34: Syracuse (NIT Quarters)

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
Umass90
Senior

Post by Umass90 » Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:46 am

What a great game! OMG!

One of the things I enjoyed the most was watching the cocky grins disappear from the Syracuse players faces as their lead evaporated.

Maybe it was me, but I though their laughing went a bit far. Anyone else feel that way?

GREAT GREAT WIN!

npt3
Junior

Post by npt3 » Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:46 am

From syracuse.com http://www.syracuse.com/articles/orange ... xml&coll=1:

" "This is worse," Syracuse freshman Donte Greene said when asked to compare Tuesday's collapse to the loss to Pitt. "I think we were up more in this game. And no offense to UMass, but they're not as talented as Pittsburgh.""

Denial's the river that runs through Egypt... :lol:
"All life we work, but work is a bore. If life's for living, what's living for?" - Ray Davies

LS71
Hall of Fame

Post by LS71 » Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:54 am

The official soft drink of UMass Hoops...

It's sweet! 8)
"Win without boasting, lose without crying." -- Julius Erving

SFL89
Sophomore

Post by SFL89 » Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:51 am

Man, what a game, what a team! I was sick, so spent most of the game curled up on the couch, but maybe it's my maroon glasses, I refused to give up on this team! My parents are visiting and watched with me, and I had to tell them if they were going to fuss every time Syracuse scored, they would have to watch in the other room!! As much faith (blind?) as I have in our guys, even I wasn't sure if they'd pull it off. I love the picture on the front of the UMass hoops page!!

It was even more amazing to find out this AM just how historic this win was!! Absolutely AWESOME!!!

GO UMASS!!!!

vanmeter
Hall of Fame

Post by vanmeter » Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:56 am

As Matty Vantour said in his blog.

Wow!

Hope everyone goes to MSG next week!

MikeUMA
Site Admin

Post by MikeUMA » Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:58 am

Umass90 wrote:One of the things I enjoyed the most was watching the cocky grins disappear from the Syracuse players faces as their lead evaporated.

Maybe it was me, but I though their laughing went a bit far. Anyone else feel that way?
I noticed the big smiles on their faces when it was blowout city, but I didn't think they were showboating or doing anything too cocky. They had it going all their way and they were having fun with it. I didn't have a problem with it. If it was us in front of our home crew I think we would have been giddy as well.

But that's when they got too comfortable, lost focus, and the rest is history. Sweet redemption.

Steve81
Hall of Fame

Post by Steve81 » Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:14 am

I still don’t believe it. Wow, here are some memories to share: I don’t know of the odds but on our only rest stop to Syracuse, some kids notice our UMass gear. I’m not positive but one of the kids was a Ford and not sure which Coach’s wife it was. She was very nice and a bit disappointed that it there was only one bus. We get to Carrier Dome gate M at 5:10 and doors do not open till 5:30 so we start walking around for various reasons. They have a very fine University; we went into the ‘Sentor’ build which is a very old building with rich, detailed wood work, stain glass, and old replica’s for the student’s trip to Florence. Fast forward to leaving the game THRILLED!!! Waiting around inside a big guy, I’m only 5’8” so it’s relative, stops and say hey and show me he is an UMass fan. I start to hug this UMass fan that I never meet; I was so high on the win!!. Then some one in the crowd yells “you got lucky’ and I yell back “you guys CHOKED”.. The bus ride back was surprisingly quiet. I think we are still in shock of the incredible win. We get back around 2:30AM and the team bus pulls in. Coach Ford comes out happy, I love seeing his emotions. Matt Glass gets out and I think Dante. Ricky had the best smile before Chris got out and we called to him. So proud of these guys.

km109
Senior

Post by km109 » Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:18 am

npt3 wrote:From syracuse.com http://www.syracuse.com/articles/orange ... xml&coll=1:

" "This is worse," Syracuse freshman Donte Greene said when asked to compare Tuesday's collapse to the loss to Pitt. "I think we were up more in this game. And no offense to UMass, but they're not as talented as Pittsburgh.""

Denial's the river that runs through Egypt... :lol:
In Donte's world a Big East team is always going to be more talented than an A-10 team. Having 4 years exposure to SU fans and some actual exposure to the teams of the day, it's ingrained in them.

On the other hand, I'm willing to accept Donte at his word. If it's not talent, that means it's something else - HEART! (several other anatomical references would work just as well) And if it's heart, there's another five letter word he, his teammates and Boeheim should contemplate - TWICE!

nale
Hall of Fame

Post by nale » Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:20 am

LS71 wrote:The official soft drink of UMass Hoops...

It's sweet! 8)
Excellent LS71. You should psot that on a Cuse board. :D
"This is my dream job''

shovelhd
Hall of Fame

Post by shovelhd » Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:28 am

From the Boston Globe:
SYRACUSE, N.Y. - Chants resonated through the underground tunnels in the Carrier Dome.

"This is our house! This is OUR house!"

But the voices were coming from the visitors' locker room as the Massachusetts Minutemen went streaming in, bouncing and hugging, cheering and smiling, in sheer euphoria.
http://www.boston.com/sports/colleges/m ... t_final_4/

npt3
Junior

Post by npt3 » Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:35 am

Nice article in the Herald, too (from the Collegian's Eli R!):

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/coll ... ition=also
"All life we work, but work is a bore. If life's for living, what's living for?" - Ray Davies

throwdown
Senior

Post by throwdown » Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:47 am

Talk about extremes! I cursed more in the first half then I did all last year.
But as I stated yesterday coaching counts at this time of year and Travis and his basketball verision of the west coast offense, also known as the run-and-shoot was at its best in the second half. Even during the first half I thought Cuse showed signs of being tired early. The game was way to fast for them. Umass vs. FL should be an exciting game. Travis has beaten his former head coach and now gets a shot at the former asst.

TBird
Sophomore

Post by TBird » Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:54 am

km109 wrote: "This is worse," Syracuse freshman Donte Greene said when asked to compare Tuesday's collapse to the loss to Pitt. "I think we were up more in this game. And no offense to UMass, but they're not as talented as Pittsburgh.""
So. That doesn't change the fact that 'Cuse lost twice to UMass this year, which is the only thing that matters. No number of comparisons will change that fact.
"I went to college and it was okay" - Jim

philosopher
Hall of Fame

Post by philosopher » Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:21 am

He wants to compare our team to Pitt, after our team spanked their asses twice in one season on their own court. The dude just doesn't understand: SCOREBOARD! When the curtain comes down on the game, that is the only stat that matters. Like golf, they don't ask "how?" They ask "how many?" And twice this season our "how many?" has been bigger than theirs.

Sheck
Hall of Fame

Post by Sheck » Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:30 am

TBird wrote:
km109 wrote: "This is worse," Syracuse freshman Donte Greene said when asked to compare Tuesday's collapse to the loss to Pitt. "I think we were up more in this game. And no offense to UMass, but they're not as talented as Pittsburgh.""
So. That doesn't change the fact that 'Cuse lost twice to UMass this year, which is the only thing that matters. No number of comparisons will change that fact.
We're more talented than Syracuse. I can live with that fact.
#maction 🚩#flagship