Cal and Memphis and Siena

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
Kosty
Hall of Fame

Cal and Memphis and Siena

Post by Kosty » Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:19 am

Apparently Siena takes on Memphis tonite. The Albany Times Useless has an article about the game. The NIT game against Siena is mentioned.

http://timesunion.com/AspStories/story. ... e=1/3/2008

MikeUMA
Site Admin

Post by MikeUMA » Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:37 pm

"One of my players grabbed the mike and yelled, 'What time is the bus leaving?' " Calipari said with a laugh.
I don't know if I've heard that before. Anybody remember that? What player was it?

Kosty
Hall of Fame

Post by Kosty » Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:42 pm

I hadn't heard about that before either Mike. And I just looked at the roster from that year and can not see anyone on that roster being that brash as to do it. If it were a few years later, I could totally see Mikey Williams doing it. Maybe John Tate can weigh in on who it might have been.

John Tate
Sophomore

Post by John Tate » Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:52 pm

Boy, that was 16 years ago...I'm OLD!!!

I think it was Harp or Tony. I know it wasn't me I was dancing on the press table!!! :lol:

Go UMass
"Is Wayne Brady gonna have to smack a bytch?"

twisters tavern
Junior

Post by twisters tavern » Thu Jan 03, 2008 4:14 pm

ktabz16 wrote:that game... pulling for siena. i remember turning to my dad and asking if we could go to msg. he turned to me and said, "it's not over yet."
What an awesome game. I think I was in the Bluewall or the Hatch Bar watching that game, although 16 years does make one's memory a little fuzzy. I did make that trip back home to NYC to watch us play Stanford then Colorado. Those games were nailbiters to the end and I remember how proud I was those two nights. My father and I couldn't wait for Midnight Madness next season.

Great stroll down memory lane once again although I realize I am getting old as well.

cox'n
Junior

Post by cox'n » Thu Jan 03, 2008 4:59 pm

I'm fortunate to say I was there. As I remember, the Siena crowd was going nuts until the inbound play and timeout with 2.3 seconds left. Suddenly, UMass had a chance. After Barbee hit the game tying three, about 85% of the arena went dead except for the couple of sections in which we UMass fans were seated and going bonkers. It was easily one of the best games I've ever attended.

krkess
Senior

Post by krkess » Thu Jan 03, 2008 5:29 pm

I don't remember any players doing that but I remember myself and many others screaming those same words across the aisle to the Siena fans after the game was over!

Kosty
Hall of Fame

Post by Kosty » Fri Jan 04, 2008 9:37 am

I remember calling my dad from a crappy hotel in Daytona with 5 other UMass guys and getting an update on the game and he said "Well it went in to OT and in the OT, UMass scored 2 points and Siena scored.........none!" Needless to say, many adult beverages were imbibed that night!!

Swampy
Hall of Fame

Post by Swampy » Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:57 am

krkess wrote:I don't remember any players doing that but I remember myself and many others screaming those same words across the aisle to the Siena fans after the game was over!
It was Tony who made the comment.

I was there too and I remember a bunch of us saying...
Look at those two over there making all that noise. The ugly one sounds like he's from Athol, fercrissakes! :shock:

That Siena game was absolutely one of the best UMass games that I have ever attended. Right up there with the Temple game in '92 at the Cage. Beating that A-hole Billy Tubbs and his Sooners a month earlier in Springfield was pretty sweet too. Those and the OT win against Providence back in '76 when they were big dogs nationally stick in my brain.

Yep, UMass has been very, very good to me through the years.