Lappas on the way out?

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
JustVisiting1

Lappas on the way out?

Post by JustVisiting1 » Fri Apr 11, 2003 4:52 pm

Post from the Maven on the St John's board. He is a blowhard but does have some scoops

"Am I hearing that Umass is about to part ways with Steve Lappas?
I hope not,but 3 recent transfers may have sealed his fate"

:?: http://www.redmen.com/modules.php?op=mo ... ic&t=13009

Feato
Senior

Post by Feato » Fri Apr 11, 2003 6:46 pm

hmmm...

t'would have to be soon though I'd guess?

I can't see this happening without a reasonable amount of time to find a new coach before the season begins and DEFINITELY not in-season...that would be a catastrophe... :?
MF

I'm a professional smartass.

DEM
Senior

Post by DEM » Fri Apr 11, 2003 6:55 pm

This is probably just wild speculation. The only way I could see this happening is if the admin put out some feelers and some bigtime coaches gave a positive response, and I don't know if I see that happening. For better or worse, Lappas will probably be here at least another year.

Rocks22
Hall of Fame

Post by Rocks22 » Fri Apr 11, 2003 7:10 pm

I agree. If there is someone else already lined up, pull the trigger. However a week after the Final Four is too late to fire a coach and then start a search. Final Four weekend is an opportunistic time for ADs and available coaches to press the flesh and make deals. You're really limiting yourself by making a position available to late. Especially the way UMass does business, establishing commitees and such. I don't know how many up and coming coaches would jump ship at this time, so close to signing period.

PreacherPugh
Freshman

Post by PreacherPugh » Fri Apr 11, 2003 8:05 pm

I've never been the biggest Lappas fan, but there is no way he will be out before next season, barring any NCAA violations or such. There is simply no way the school can afford to fire him and pay him the remaining years on his contract while paying the other coach they bring in. I believe this season will make or break the Lap. Last year and this year were disasters but if he can turn it around next year the administration will forget about the last two years. However if the program continues to fall like the last two years there would be no reason to retain him after next season.
Depina=a good PG
Pugh=a steller dunker
Toot=the man
Dec. 6th 2002=the ultimate

obg
Senior

Post by obg » Fri Apr 11, 2003 10:55 pm

:wink: Maybe Lappas will announce it at the Banquet Sunday!

Not likley. I suspect this guy is blowing smoke.

OrchardHill75
Sophomore

Post by OrchardHill75 » Sat Apr 12, 2003 8:28 am

From todays' Providence Journal. Bill Reynolds' column -- he does one of those multiple-item "tidbit" columns every Saturday.

"I'm hearing UMass is real close to buying out the contract of Steve lappas and hiring Northeastern's Ron Everhart as its new coach."

If it's in print, it must be true! :wink:

http://www.projo.com/sports/billreynold ... .157b.html

(the Lappas item is about 2/3 down the entire column)

DEM
Senior

Post by DEM » Sat Apr 12, 2003 9:42 am

:? I just checked out a little stuff on his bio and his team's past records, and I'm not overly impressed by him based on that. Recently, he took over a Northeastern team that went something like 11-17, and the following year they finished with a 7-21 record or something like that. This year they finished just above .500 at 16-15. Given I don't know all the circumstances, but he doesn't sound to me like a miracle worker. In my opinion, if we are going to jump the gun and go for a coaching change after just 2 yrs, we need to make a clear improvement, and at least to my eyes, this guy isn't that. The program needs to get back on track to some stability, and my feeling is that at this point, another coaching change might only set us back unless we can bring in a bigtime coach. I hope this isn't true.

vanmeter
Hall of Fame

Post by vanmeter » Sat Apr 12, 2003 9:46 am

Amazingly it could be true. Everhart has been a Northeastern 2 years so I am sure McGAW hired him.
As much as I think Lappas would be here at least one more year, who knows.

John Tate
Sophomore

Post by John Tate » Sat Apr 12, 2003 10:56 am

I'm hearing the same things here in Pittsburgh...if an agreement can be reached on the buyout, Lappas is gone and he isn't all that upset about it!

Go UMass!

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Sat Apr 12, 2003 12:13 pm

i talked to his wife last night, she came into my work, and she seemed really optomistic about things, telling me how excited people were about signing maxwell and that there was a visit coming up this week and such..... so i dont know....

EDIT: as i just read in another thread, austin decided to go to another school.... i would assume thats who his wife was talking about with the visit for this week...

i am sad now :(

deke
Junior

Post by deke » Sat Apr 12, 2003 12:51 pm

The rumors alone will hurt recruiting. Montgomery could have chosen Bowling Green over UMass simply because of the rumors that Lappas could be gone.

If there's any chance that word is spreading around the HS and AAU coaching ranks that Lappas may be out, McCaw should step up and say firmly one way or another -- BEFORE we lose out on any more recruits. We have a lot of spots to fill and we need talent.

DEM
Senior

Post by DEM » Sat Apr 12, 2003 1:16 pm

I agree. If we are going to do this, we need to do it quickly, especially at this stage. Assuming there is truth to this rumor, the new coach is going to have a lot of work to do recruiting. He'll not only need to fill the vacant scholarships, he's also going to have to re-recruit Bowers and Maxwell, and talk to the players still here to make sure they don't leave. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the transition goes well (if there is one).

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Sat Apr 12, 2003 1:16 pm

I agree, too much chaos is not a good thing when you are trying to sign players. Have to think that this could happen if next year is a down year, but after two years seems too quick. Also if it were true, I would think they would go after a proven winner, as this program is supposed to be the money maker for the athletic dept, and doubt if they would want to go after someone not as well known. Then again, who knows.

CapeCodBruiser
Senior

Post by CapeCodBruiser » Sat Apr 12, 2003 1:37 pm

Replacing Lappas now with some other ham and egger from available coaching ranks will be like replacing Jimy Williams with Grady Little. In other words useless. Give Lappas 2 more years and see what happens. If the Mullins is still drawing less than 4500 per game in 2 years red ink will force a move quickly. Have a good weekend.