uh oh

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
kdogg8173
Senior

uh oh

Post by kdogg8173 » Thu Apr 10, 2003 3:25 pm

Rumors around campus are that lasme is not the last to leave and that more are on their way out. I think players are getting tired of Lappas and are just not happy. This situation is becoming very similar to the one in North Carolina with Matt Dohrety.

FRDreams
Sophomore

Post by FRDreams » Thu Apr 10, 2003 3:55 pm

Who's left to leave? Who is your source? Lasme! AA no way, viggs no way, briggs, freeman and bowers have not even played yet. If anyone it's Martin or Cox and we can do without them. I dont think there is any truth to that. We hardly have enough players to practice. If these players are complaining I don't know what their gripe is. If you can't get p.t. on this team than maybe you are not D1 material. What's not to be happy about? Everyone has a chance to prove themselves and earn plenty of p.t. I would bet if anyone is to leave it is lamb, whom I have not seen officially be released yet.

Quinn
Junior

Post by Quinn » Thu Apr 10, 2003 3:56 pm

First off, if the rumor is a bout an individual, we've all heard the mentions of Martin possibly leaving.

Second, if anyone were to leave and they were a Lappas recruit, I'd start either questioning the type of kids we recruited and/or the process by which we recruited the kids. As it is, it's strange that multiple players that came to UMass BECAUSE of Lappas have left. It's underatandable that guys who came becasue of Bruiser would leave, but not Lappas recruits. As for a comparison to UNC, that's impossible. They are big time, and we're trying to work our way up to the Mendoza line. Not to mention that our best players would get 4 years of mop-up time if they were at UNC. It's not a knock on our players, just an observation at the type of players UNC has on their roster and visiting as recruits.

kdogg8173
Senior

Post by kdogg8173 » Thu Apr 10, 2003 4:03 pm

Im talking about how players are getting tired of lappas. The talent level has nothing to do with anything. Its the fact that players are probably getting tired of lappas' attitude. Dohrety was fired at UNC because no one like him. I dont know why you guys are talking about playing time and talent.
Last edited by kdogg8173 on Thu Apr 10, 2003 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FRDreams
Sophomore

Post by FRDreams » Thu Apr 10, 2003 4:05 pm

Quinn, you hit the nail on the head. Most of our players at this point in their young career's would never get the playing time they are getting at Umass. That is the reason we have been able to land some decent talent the last year or so. I see no truth to this rumor, and certainly hope there isn't.

whiterhino42
Junior

Martin is the Only Truth

Post by whiterhino42 » Fri Apr 11, 2003 12:47 pm

Brennan Martin may leave, that's the only truth in this rumor. If he leaves that's fine, we will live without him. I'd like him to stay because he'll be a Junior next year and can shoot halfway decent, while breaking in the Freshmen that would be a nice option to have off the bench. If he does leave, however, I'm not going to cry about it. He is a marginal bench player and will not play a significant role in the future of this team. I cannot see anyone of any quality offering him a scholarship given his first 2 years here though so he'd be better off to stay here because at least next year he will get some playing time. He started a couple games this past season and if he worked hard in the offseason he might be able to contribute but given the talent coming in he'll only be a role player at best.