Thank you to the crowd

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
EBox
Senior

Post by EBox » Fri Feb 09, 2007 7:24 am

I have to say, hearing the CSTV commentators note that Travis Ford and the team went to the dorms handing out tickets and promoting - this is SUCH a great marketing tool.

Imagine if you got a knock on your door and it was Travis Ford and Lasme giving you a personal invitation to come to the Bill? That is some powerful stuff!!!

Berkman
Hall of Fame

Post by Berkman » Fri Feb 09, 2007 7:35 am

You do what you got to do to get the students out to the games. Hopefully what they saw last night will be enough incentive to bring them back.

If I remember correctly Coach Cal either went to the dorms with pizza or brought pizza for students waiting in line to get into one of the games, Temple I think, early in his coaching days at UMass.

scumming
Sophomore

Post by scumming » Fri Feb 09, 2007 8:36 am

what was the official attendance number?
i know my facts

shovelhd
Hall of Fame

Post by shovelhd » Fri Feb 09, 2007 8:38 am

UMASS06
Sophomore

Post by UMASS06 » Fri Feb 09, 2007 8:38 am

I know you want official, but I can't remember. What I do know is it was around mid 8000, the largest crowd for an a-10 game at the mullins center since 2000-2001 against temple.

Crank
Senior

Post by Crank » Fri Feb 09, 2007 9:11 am

Quote of the year right here by TF:
"We know they'd rather be studying, but they came here."
Classic!

Umass89
Junior

Post by Umass89 » Fri Feb 09, 2007 9:16 am

EBox wrote:I have to say, hearing the CSTV commentators note that Travis Ford and the team went to the dorms handing out tickets and promoting - this is SUCH a great marketing tool.

Imagine if you got a knock on your door and it was Travis Ford and Lasme giving you a personal invitation to come to the Bill? That is some powerful stuff!!!
Whoever came up w/that idea deserves many kudos!!! Last night's great performance by the team will bring some additional enthusiasm to the students for the remaining home games. Let's make UMASS a horrible place for an opponent to play. :D
Llewelyn Moss: Is uh, Carson Wells there?
Anton Chigurh: Not in the sense that you mean.

MikeUMA
Site Admin

Post by MikeUMA » Fri Feb 09, 2007 9:46 am

Berkman wrote:If I remember correctly Coach Cal either went to the dorms with pizza or brought pizza for students waiting in line to get into one of the games, Temple I think, early in his coaching days at UMass.
Cal bought a big stack of pizzas for the student crowd that was waiting for Temple tickets back in early 1992.

On TV last night, it was great to hear at least 2 loud, sustained "U!" "Mass!" chants going back and forth. Well done.

John Tate
Sophomore

Post by John Tate » Fri Feb 09, 2007 9:58 am

IMHO, a loud & rowdy home court is worth 6-10 points a game!

Go UMass!
"Is Wayne Brady gonna have to smack a bytch?"

LS71
Hall of Fame

Post by LS71 » Fri Feb 09, 2007 10:15 am

That was as much fun as I've had at a UMass games since they beat puke-on.

Last night's atmosphere was exactly what I was referring to in the Attendance thread. When the students come the rest takes care of itself.

The students energized the place. The old folks working off a contact high were vocal as well.

Hopefully last night's result will have a residual effect for the last three home games.

Too bad they're two weeks away.
"Win without boasting, lose without crying." -- Julius Erving

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Fri Feb 09, 2007 6:15 pm

Way to go last night students. The place rocked!

NOW JUST COME BACK!!!!!!! :D :D :D

Mills-Hamlin 69
Junior

Post by Mills-Hamlin 69 » Fri Feb 09, 2007 6:36 pm

Lunatic wrote:i do wanna say that UMass should keep on promoting basketball games and hockey games... make sure the students know, you have to realize many of them are just starting to get back into it... so a little promotion should be good... like another facebook event for the next game, invite everyone... you know, get the game to be HUUUUUUGE!!!!
The more promotion the better! Create some buzz for every game. If everyone thinks it is the place to be... It will be the place to be!

Key to sustaining this energy at the Mullins will be a good showing in the road games coming up...especially Temple Sunday. The team can't afford a let down. They need to show everyone this is for real. A good road trip will build anticipation for the next home game. The students will have a couple of weeks to get energized for St Bonaventure. With the right momentum, it could be huge.

umass1234
Senior

Post by umass1234 » Fri Feb 09, 2007 6:38 pm

Yup...I like the things Ford did to promote this game and I think he DEFINATLY should do this with the students and everybody else for the last three home games...especially senior night. I'm dreading senior night.

m626t
Senior

Post by m626t » Fri Feb 09, 2007 7:03 pm

I have to admit i still don't understand why a student body the size of UMass Amherst can't get 4000 of it's members to each and every home game when classes are in session. regardless of the visiting team, is there not enough pride in the school among the kids now attending to want to support their team? even if the team stinks, and it has at times in the past decade, affection for the school and the athletes who represent it should be enough to move at least 1 out 5 students to go to the game. this is not the case. why? is it because UMass was really their safety school, their second choice, due to finances or other reasons that this pride/affection is lacking? i really wonder if this may have something to do with the situation... as a legacy i was always going to go to umass and was proud and happy to be there, even though i had other options. i was proud to show the colors at hockey games at Orr rink even though i was not a fan of the sport. my friends and i were happy to attend hoop games at the Cage against Rider and Fairfield Colleges or whoever showed up not because they were big games (they weren't) but simply to scream at the refs and support the team. we felt like it was some sort of obligation. i'm sure there are exceptions but i just don't sense that with today's students.
All due respect, and I mean that from the bottom of my heart, I'm gonna pass.

basketball101
Sophomore

Post by basketball101 » Fri Feb 09, 2007 7:24 pm

m626t wrote:I have to admit i still don't understand why a student body the size of UMass Amherst can't get 4000 of it's members to each and every home game when classes are in session. regardless of the visiting team, is there not enough pride in the school among the kids now attending to want to support their team? even if the team stinks, and it has at times in the past decade, affection for the school and the athletes who represent it should be enough to move at least 1 out 5 students to go to the game. this is not the case. why? is it because UMass was really their safety school, their second choice, due to finances or other reasons that this pride/affection is lacking? i really wonder if this may have something to do with the situation... as a legacy i was always going to go to umass and was proud and happy to be there, even though i had other options. i was proud to show the colors at hockey games at Orr rink even though i was not a fan of the sport. my friends and i were happy to attend hoop games at the Cage against Rider and Fairfield Colleges or whoever showed up not because they were big games (they weren't) but simply to scream at the refs and support the team. we felt like it was some sort of obligation. i'm sure there are exceptions but i just don't sense that with today's students.
In all do respect...I feel that you are just beating a dead horse here, I think most agree that there is some issue/problem with the student attendance at all UM athletic events. I understand your frustration but bashing the students after last nights game seems overboard especially to the faithful (students) that are members of this board

As said before let's just hope the students continue to come out because every win is important here on out