Game 3: UAB

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
MikeUMA
Site Admin

Game 3: UAB

Post by MikeUMA » Mon Nov 21, 2005 12:51 pm

Ron Chimelis has something of a preview today, which is a bit weird considering we have a game in between then and now.

http://www.masslive.com/umassbasketball ... xml&coll=1

Blazer85
Freshman

Post by Blazer85 » Mon Nov 21, 2005 1:23 pm

Pretty good preview, but he got our name wrong again... as so many do. UAB is, by first reference, the University of Alabama at Birmingham and "UAB" by second reference. We are not (nor have we ever been) the University of Alabama-Birmingham. He raises some interesting points... particularly about why UAB gets no respect despite the accomplishments over the past 3 seasons.
UAB BASKETBALL

In 27 years...
12 NCAA Tournament Appearances
3 Sweet Sixteen Appearances
24 Winning Seasons

CRR_
Senior

Post by CRR_ » Mon Nov 21, 2005 1:24 pm

We already have a thread for this topic...

:wink:
"For the record, they didn't steal the laptops; they sold them."

BishopMVP
Junior

Post by BishopMVP » Mon Nov 21, 2005 3:51 pm

Blazer85 wrote:Pretty good preview, but he got our name wrong again... as so many do. UAB is, by first reference, the University of Alabama at Birmingham and "UAB" by second reference. We are not (nor have we ever been) the University of Alabama-Birmingham. He raises some interesting points... particularly about why UAB gets no respect despite the accomplishments over the past 3 seasons.
Among the state schools, we're the Crimson Tide, but in a sport like hockey where more than one campus is in the same league, it's usually listed as UMass-Amherst and UMass-Lowell, so it's at least understandable why he would put it that way.

MikeUMA
Site Admin

Post by MikeUMA » Tue Nov 22, 2005 9:42 pm

TV outlets that say they'll be picking up the game:
Fox Sports New England
FS Pittsburgh
FS Ohio
FS Southwest
FS Rocky Mtn
FS Northwest
FS West
FS Bay Area
MSG Network (metro NYC)

Check yo' local listings.

MassMan06
Hall of Fame

Post by MassMan06 » Tue Nov 22, 2005 10:46 pm

I hope they're pissed about this loss and come out storming against UAB.

Blazer85
Freshman

Post by Blazer85 » Wed Nov 23, 2005 12:45 am

MassMan06 wrote:I hope they're pissed about this loss and come out storming against UAB.
Were they not pissed enough already for beating Hartford by like 6pts?
UAB BASKETBALL

In 27 years...
24 Winning Seasons

Blazer85
Freshman

Post by Blazer85 » Wed Nov 23, 2005 1:01 am

ktabz16 wrote:we'll see how it shakes on the court eh blazer85? 8)
We will indeed. That's not a knock. You guys sure are sensitive around here, huh? I think your close loss to Davidson is more impressive than your near loss to Hartford and that's just the truth. Friday cant get here soon enough for me. I expect the game to be pretty close (especially starting out) because it's been a while since we've played, so we'll be rusty I'm sure.
UAB BASKETBALL

In 27 years...
24 Winning Seasons

cambridge85
Sophomore

Post by cambridge85 » Wed Nov 23, 2005 3:01 am

The UAB game is going to be a tough one I hope people dont think Umass is going to have it easy. The Umass frontcourt is going to have there hands full with top 100 prospect last year Lawrence Kinnard A freshmen froncourt player who doesn't get intimidate easy. He can shoot the long and mid range jumper.next year i'm going to let you know they have a prospect by the name of Howard Crawford who turned down BC to attend UAB and he has made a name for himself nationally. This team is full of experience being that it's made up of JUCO transfer.Marvett McDonald is there star senior shooting guard who will be tough for our backcourt to handle he likes to drive and draw alot of fouls. McDonald is a threat from the three point line but if you play him close he will blow by his defender this kid is a real threat.Demario Eddins is a returning frontcourt player who is UAB's leading scorer and leader of this team.Eddins has crafty footcourt tha allows him to score aginst slower and bigger defenders. Wen Mukubu A transfer from Arkansas sat out last year due to NCAA transfer rules is looking to come in this season and compete for minutes. Mukubu is A athletic freak he's A leaper he even holds the Florida high Jump record. He's a force on the glass. Carldell "Squeaky" Johnson is the lightning quick point guard who starts in the backcourt alongside McDonald. Last but not forgotten is Paul Delaney Mr. ALL Day from outside this kid will light it up from the perimeter when given the green light. This UAB team runs deep Umass will have there work cut for them

Blazer85
Freshman

Post by Blazer85 » Wed Nov 23, 2005 9:23 am

ktabz16 wrote:are you related to blazer85?
Nope... I dont even have any relatives from Mass. (or anywhere else in the northeast for that matter). :lol: Looks like one of your own to me.
UAB BASKETBALL

In 27 years...
24 Winning Seasons

MikeUMA
Site Admin

Post by MikeUMA » Wed Nov 23, 2005 9:33 am

Chimelis reports that some tickets are still available.
http://www.masslive.com/umassbasketball ... xml&coll=1

uz2b-len
Hall of Fame

Post by uz2b-len » Wed Nov 23, 2005 1:34 pm

UAB has consistently achieved at a higher level than Davidson, not to mention us, over the past years. There is every reason to expect that they are a better team than us. However, we a have a few things going for us...home game, bouncing back after a loss, continuing to improve, they haven't played yet this season. Go UMass! Remember, it's not the team with the best players that wins, it's the team that plays the best.

MikeUMA
Site Admin

Post by MikeUMA » Wed Nov 23, 2005 4:33 pm

chlaur1
Junior

Post by chlaur1 » Wed Nov 23, 2005 4:48 pm

This will be very interesting to see how we play in this game, Coach Ford had some pretty harsh comments about us having no leaders step up against Davidson. We will fold, or will a leader emerge against a very good UAB team?

Also is this game going to be on FSN for the boston area??

Blzer4Life
Freshman

Post by Blzer4Life » Wed Nov 23, 2005 4:59 pm

ktabz16 wrote:i'll go one step further and add its not the team that plays the best but the team that scores more points in 40 min :lol:
I'll go out on a limb and say UAB can do both. :roll: :roll: :roll:
---This post was stolen by the UAB Blazers Basketball team---

Leading the nation in steals since 2002